Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator

Powered Descent posted:

(buggy, crashy) Mint 17

I just switched from Ubuntu 14.04 to Mint 17. Do I have some woes in my future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator
I've been struggling with hardware a bit, too. I have that weird Optimus thing, so I either have to use Ubuntu's nvidia-prime package or mess with Bumblebee in Arch, Fedora, etc. I prefer prime because I can just switch to a single card and forget it. Using Bumblebee has always been a bit of a pain.
Xubuntu (and xfce in general) are really good. I'm actually a fan of Unity and Gnome3, but I've tried a bunch of DEs out before knowing I liked those two, and xfce was one of them. Very light and stable if that's what you're going for.

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator

Literally Elvis posted:

If I wanted to discuss the use and development of elementaryOS, can I speak it's name here, or will I be cast out like a heretic?

I'm personally waiting for the stable Freya release, so I at least won't be casting you out.

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator

Literally Elvis posted:

I've been using the beta Freya release because it's not too unstable for me, and realistically Freya will be obsolete in comparison with Ubuntu proper when it's "done". They're getting faster, but they're not really there yet.

The development process for that whole group of apps seems very counterproductive. They don't really let anybody in on any plans of theirs unless you manage to earn your stripes developing elementary-ish applications. It's like mafia programming or something.

I don't really know how to feel about them, to be honest. I like what comes out of it, but they do seem to be very close-knit from what I've read. I was planning to stay on 14.04 just because I've been jumping around a lot and I'm sure that's going to kill my SSD. If they release something within 14.04's lifetime, I'll probably try it out.

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator

Prince John posted:

This has happened to me on every install of 14.04 I've tried, be that regular Ubuntu or Xubuntu, on every single boot up and with multiple machines. I switched my parents to Mint for the same reason (and a couple of other things that were a bit more user friendly) but uninstalling whoopsie also does the job. It doesn't help that you can't tell from the dialogue what the error is - I guess it's trying to be 'user friendly' by not showing technical detail, but it's pretty unclear for the non-technical user who just worries if they've broken something.

I think you can clean out the files from /var/crash and it might fix it. Sometimes I would get an error that kept coming up after doing nvidia stuff, and it was the same error popping up until I deleted the files in /var/crash.

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator

SurgicalOntologist posted:

So.. is there a way to add a desktop in-between two other desktops, i.e. anywhere but the bottom? Or to easily shift existing desktops up or down? Without that it's hard to keep related desktops together. I find myself moving one app down, then alt-tabbing and moving something else down, ad nauseum, just to create an empty space somewhere.

I don't believe so; not that I've found, at least. If you want to inject a desktop between others, the only method I can think of would be to create a new one and drag it where you want on the workspace overview, but that's mouse-driven. Using the mouse, it's fairly easy to drag workspaces around, but there doesn't seem to be a shortcut for it.

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator

tekz posted:

Is the spyware crap still enabled by default?

I tried out 14.10 for a while, started from a clean install. General answer is yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator

ShadowHawk posted:

In 14.04 and later:

Type "privacy" into the dash, click the "Security and Privacy", click the tab for search, and turn off "Online search results".

No, I knew about that, just letting them know it was default although I'm not sure it qualifies as "spyware" but didn't want to argue about that. Personally, I just want a local search without having to hit Super+A or whatever. Basically what gnome3 does.

Lolcano Eruption posted:

How well does this OS handle high-dpi screens? Is it a trash experience like Windows 8.1 or does it work as well as OSX?

I know it has some support for it, but I don't have a screen to test. It's in the settings panel somewhere, I remember seeing it. I'd guess either Display or Appearance.

• Locked thread