Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

DISCLAIMER: BLATANT SHILL

I started working on a method to centrally manage updates on our 14.04 LTS servers at work last week as part of my company's dick-around week, and was given permission to put it on GitHub. The application is quite clearly in its early stages (plus it was my first Ruby on Rails app ever), but it is usable and we are already using it to track needed updates on our servers.

Please have a look at it at https://github.com/erhudy/portrait. If you have Ruby 2.x installed but don't know anything at all about Ruby, you can probably get it running with gem install bundler, then bundle install from within the root directory of the application, then rails server to start it in development mode, where it will use a local SQLite database and spew lots of debugging crap into the log.

I would greatly appreciate feedback and/or pull requests. I have a laundry list of things to fix with it, but I hope that it will eventually end up being marginally useful to other server janitors like myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Why not put it in fstab? mountall mounts every filesystem in there during system start and is smart enough to know to not wedge the boot process over a remote filesystem (unless you add bootwait).

• Locked thread