Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I had a weird Certificate / RADIUS question, and I don't know where to ask it.

We're using RADIUS to connect to WiFi. Every user has their own username/password, provided by Active Directory. We currently use Windows for RADIUS authentication, but I want to move to Linux.

Scenario 1, using our Windows server:

1) If a user enters the wrong username/password (on initial connect), they are never prompted to accept the certificate. It just "hangs" or times out.

2) User has to cancel the connection attempt and start over.

Issue: User is left to wonder if the server isn't responding, their credentials were entered wrong, etc. Not good.

Scenario 2, using another department's WiFi:

1) If a user enters the wrong username/password (on initial connect), they are still prompted to install a certificate, but then they get the "wrong password" notice.

Issue: None, really. If they enter the wrong information they get told they entered the wrong information!

Scenario 3, using our new FreeRADIUS w/ Ubuntu setup:

1) If a user enters the wrong username/password (on initial connect), they are still prompted to install a certificate.

2) The system prompts them again for username/password, but no matter what they enter, the system keeps using the wrong username/password originally from Step 1, and it will just keep prompting for a username and password!

3) User has to cancel the connection attempt, even if they are 110% sure their username/password is entered correctly.

Issue: Not only is the user not told they originally entered in the wrong username/password, but they are lead to believe the system is prompting them again to give them a chance to enter it in correctly, even though it still uses the wrong username/password!

Does anyone know what I am talking about, or how to get it to act more like Scenario 1 or 2?

Ubuntu 14.04.1, FreeRADIUS 2.1.12, Samba 4.1.6. I'm using mschap/ntlm_auth with FreeRADIUS, and Winbind/Kerberos with Samba.

Everything works fine if the user enters the correct information on their first attempt. I'm just not happy with how things are handled if/when a user accidentally enters their name or password wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
How can you tell when a package will be updated?

Ubuntu 14.04 installs pacemaker 1.1.10, which sometimes randomly segfaults and reboots the server when used with heartbeat.

pacemaker 1.1.11+ is supposed to fix the issue, but that isn't part of Ubuntu 14.04.

Adding this PPA allows me to install 1.1.11+:
https://launchpad.net/~david-gabriel/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

This is going on a production server, and I'm not too comfortable with some 3rd-party PPA.

pacemaker/heartbeat works on Ubuntu 12.04, but then we have another issue with another software package that we need throwing a fit with the Ruby libraries on 12.04.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Well, I'll be dammed.

I really hope this works. I noticed a newly spun up test VM seemed to run fine without rebooting. I was thinking that maybe making random changes to my configs got things working. I didn't even notice that pacemaker got updated.

I just started playing with HA/heartbeat stuff, and I think it's swell. I plan on setting up multiple FreeRADIUS servers with heartbeat for our WiFi. Currently I have one RADIUS server (and our UniFi setup only allows 1 IP for a RADIUS server), so I've been a little worried about it going down for any reason. Heartbeat looks like that will fix things right up.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

G-Prime posted:

I had some problems with getting Heartbeat and Pacemaker working in a cluster I just set up a couple months ago on 14.04. Ended up moving to keepalived, and haven't looked back. It's been rock solid stable this whole time, and the VIP generally gets onto the next server in line within 1.5 seconds in case of a failover. Just another option you might consider looking into.

With so many darned Linux, FreeBSD, and Windows systems to keep working, if I can Google what I'm trying to do, quickly find a solution (such as "heartbeat") and then get it working in just a few minutes with very minimal config (3 short files), I try to stick with it.

I will keep "keepalived" in mind. I also read about someone switching to "corosync" because of the heartbleed/pacemaker segfault issue.

All my VM tests with heartbeat have been running well. I'm going to push the setup to a bigger VM server and then have some others test the setup.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'm not sure where to ask this, but I only have noticed the problem under Ubuntu 14.04 (although it's probably a VLC issue).

I stream TV from an HDHomeRun. It uses DLNA for the network stuff. The stream is MPEG2 video, AC3 audio.

There are cable "hiccups" every now and then (gently caress you, Charter) that cause a ~1 second blip in the data received. With any TV in the house or any Windows system running VLC, this results in the picture getting blocky and the sound cutting out for ~1 second. Then everything returns to normal.

If I have a system booted to Ubuntu Linux, VLC loses audio completely during this "blip" and it doesn't come back. Video returns to normal but there is no sound. VLC has to reload the stream completely in order to decode sound again.

How do I begin troubleshooting something like this? Are there other AC3 codecs for Ubuntu I could try? Why would audio cut out if the stream is lost for a second?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

YouTuber posted:

I had this problem, both with my Raspberry Pi running OpenElec with codec purchased and with my main computer. I noticed my entire network was pushing 10 years old so I replaced it with Gigabit stuff and haven't had a problem since.

Well, my network has pretty newish Cat6 cables, newish Gigabit switch, and newish Gigabit router. The distances between the cable coming into the house, the TV tuner, and the computer is under 10 feet or so. I don't think the network is the issue.

Besides, the TV going out is an issue with the cable service. Like, from the coax straight to my "real" TV, so networking isn't causing the dropouts there. If my house had just a TV (and no computers or network), I'd still get a signal drop every now and then (thanks, Charter!).

Windows running VLC is using the network, and the TV dropouts cause it no problem. Just like my "real" TV, it just gets the blocky image and momentary pause in sound, then resumes like normal.

Linux running VLC is where the issue is. It drops audio and never "recovers". I have to re-start the stream to it (which usually involves me having to physically hit a kid key on the keyboard), which has become such a pain that I've simply stopped using Linux at home. I've only been using it recently to watch TV, and that doesn't work right anymore.

I'd like to figure out what or where the problem is. Is VLC on Linux that much different than it is on Windows? Is the AC3 codec it uses that much different than on Windows? Shouldn't these codecs and streaming programs have some sort of error recovery? If its getting millions of packets streamed to it, why gently caress up completely and shut everything down when 1 packet has an error?

Is there another DLNA compatible media player out there that I could try? I've only used VLC on Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS... Which is another thing, VLC on iOS doesn't decode AC3, which is a huge pain. Other streaming apps have in-app purchases for AC3, but not VLC.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 25, 2015

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

evol262 posted:

You can try using mplayer or something else. Are you transcoding to h.264? Use that instead of mpeg2.

I don't think vlc uses liba52, so you may need to open a bug against vlc about it, but I'd try mpeg4 with ac3 or aac first

I use an HDHomeRun Prime (CableCard). It is MPEG2 + AC3, only, as that is what the cable company & over the air stations broadcast with.

Does mplayer let me manually open an http stream? Does it handle plain old MPEG2 & AC3?

UPnP has been hilariously broken in VLC on Windows in every build after 2.0.8 (even the 3.0.0 builds are still broken), so "turning on TV" consists of me just double-clicking a Playlist file that I've updated with a text editor to point to the stream.

If mplayer works I could easily just switch to that.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

evol262 posted:

Is it proper DLNA with CDS and CMS and all that, or just a raw http stream?

I have no idea.

However, things are working differently with MPlayer. Audio has not cut out once, but I'm noticing that sometimes audio & video get out of sync, and then audio skips around while it "catches up" and things normalize. CPU usage stays pretty low while this is happening, so I don't know what it is causing it.

SMPlayer is just a front-end to MPlayer, and I keep messing with various options, trying to see if anything I click actually changes anything.

How do I find out more about the stream?

The SMPlayer app says this:
Demuxer: lavfpref
Video: 18000 kbps, 29.97 fps, ffmpeg2
Audio: 192 kbps, 48000 Hz, ffac3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
So Ubuntu 15.10 just came out, and it's forcing TRIM on a system that doesn't support it.

Over and over I have these kernel errors:

quote:

ata1.00: failed command: DATA SET MANAGEMENT

Similar issue as seen here:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=197597
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2208949
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=142855

With Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04, I could wipe my drive and install the system without issue. With 15.10, I'm getting the TRIM errors.

Running "mkfs.ext4 -E nodiscard" on a partition quickly formats. GParted and the Ubuntu installer default to using "discard", which pushes a quick format to nearly half an hour as it has dozens of timeouts.

Even during the install it tries to TRIM blocks.

While there are 1,000,000 guides on enabling TRIM, I'd like to know how to DISABLE TRIM.

When I run this, the command returns TRIM support:

# hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep TRIM

Is there a way to make the drive NOT report TRIM support? Is there a way to make the Kernel NOT try to issue discards or "DATA SET MANAGEMENT" commands?

• Locked thread