Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ShadowHawk posted:

Copying Apple is wrong because 1) The Apple icons are not very good to neophytes, and 2) "Familiarity" only makes sense if our users are coming from Apple products. Apple is a tiny, tiny minority of the cell phone world. Ubuntu is positioning itself to be the next Android, and Android completely dominates Apple in popularity if you get outside the rich western bubble.

There are better metaphors for a browser icon than trying to suggest "Safari" in a browser that isn't even named that.

What the gently caress are you smoking?

While I might not like Apple in the least, they are certainly not tiny in the cell phone world (Western World or not). Ubuntu being the next Android :psyduck: :whoptc:

I don't disagree with you on the sentiment of copying Apple's icons though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ShadowHawk posted:

Apple has got about 10.4% share by units sold, and given their upscale market niche it's very reasonable to think the buyers of apple products are among those that already have smart phones.

Units sold/shipped is a bloody dubious metric to use at best. Subscriber + Market Share numbers paint a different picture. In the US it's about 50/50 Android/iOS and in the rest of the world it's 35/65 give or take ~5%.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

evol262 posted:

Citation desperately needed if you're asserting that the iOS market share is anywhere near 65% (and not actually 10-20%) given that China and India each have a market three times larger than the US and both markets are >80% Android. iOS has a lot of adherents, certainly, but it is not anywhere near even market share, much less dominant.

Re-Read what I wrote ;)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

evol262 posted:

I did, and it reads the same way -- like unverified statements that need a citation if you're going to throw out absurd percentages. Maybe you didn't say what you intended to.

Subscribers mean nothing in countries where you use SIMs (Asia and large parts of Europe). Market share is units sold in most of the world.

Units sold does not mean what you think it means. Unless I'm not remembering the stats properly, units shipped = Units the OEM has sold, and not units bought at retail.

The greatest metric for this is mobile web usage which has been at 50/50 Android/iOS for a while now. To put this to rest there are MANY more people than you think that will recognize a Safari like web browser icon. Certainly not 10%. Is it stupid they basically cloned a bunch of apple icons? Sure, I hate apple and don't want anything to even remind me of them :clint:

Ubuntu as a mobile OS would be pretty sweet but I think we're a very long way (if at all) off it being a thing with any meaningful numbers behind it.

• Locked thread