Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
What do you mean by sleep vs. suspend? I'm not aware that those two are any different in Ubuntu (unless you're talking about hibernate, which I think has known problems).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Lolcano Eruption posted:

How well does this OS handle high-dpi screens? Is it a trash experience like Windows 8.1 or does it work as well as OSX?

I would really doubt it's as good as OS X. I say this without having tried it, but... I just don't see it happening given Canonical's focus on not-the-desktop as of late.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Booting off a USB stick has the added advantages of being much more responsive (don't have to spin up the disk every time you want to launch a new program) and, if your USB stick has more storage than required for the ISO, you can use the rest of the space for persistent storage so that your settings, etc. are kept through reboots.

So yeah, a pretty decent way to try it out.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

PBCrunch posted:

I installed 16.04 beta 2 on my Chromebook the other day. Since 16.04 is final release now, do I need to do anything beyond the normal apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade to make sure my computer is up to date?
Nope.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

My two computers upgraded from 15.10 without troubles. :shrug: YMMV, I guess.

• Locked thread