Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm having a bit of an issue with 14.04. I installed 12.04 from a boot disc, and upgraded it to 14.04 via the system update feature. Unfortunately it crashed during the upgrade, but worked well enough for me to install it with Vista on another partition.

Now however it gets past the Ubuntu logo and sticks at a blank screen. Occasionally I get a notification from Jupiter* telling me it's in power saving mode, but it looks scrambled, like the screen crashed and only partially drew the box.

So since it looks like I'm going to have to reinstall anyway, I was looking at the different flavours in the OP and was wondering which desktop 12.04 used? I really don't like the new transparent spotted border thing, and the shutdown/reset dialogue now looks like a placeholder to me.

The first time I upgraded from 12 (to 13.5 I think) it asked which desktop I wanted, but it's never done that since.

* so it doesn't overheat my laptop. If there are any better ways of slowing my CPU down let me know.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Does Gnome tend to be less demanding than Unity then? I've noticed that since the update notes boasted hardware acceleration of the UI, my laptop's been running unity smoother, but a hell of a lot hotter.

Using indicator-cpufreqd to turn power management to conservative and monitoring the temperature via psensor seems to have helped a bit, but the fan is still on a lot more than it is in vista, even when just idling.

If gnome is a lot less demanding a ui, I might have to give ubuntu-gnome a try or see if I can switch. I have no idea what's the best way to go about this though.

e: also trying to get catalyst control centre installed for a mobility radeon 2400 xt - every time I've tried I've managed to break the installation following the instructions for the legacy driver from the AMD site. The driver auto installed by Ubuntu seems to be doing the job OK but I can't help thinking there's an option in cc that could be helping with the overheating / system load issues.

e2: ...and my installation is broken again. I'm beginning to think I'm not very good at Ubuntu...

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 19, 2014

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

pienipple posted:

Gnome 2 was less resource intensive, I don't think Gnome3 would be drasticly less resource hungry than Unity or KDE's thing (Plasma?)
After some investigation this afternoon, you can use the Unity Tweak Tool to turn down the level of hardware acceleration, which seemed to help. Not turn it off entirely though. A 2d option would be nice for those of us on badly ventilated laptops.

You can also do that thing someone was talking about a page or so ago where you drag windows so they only lock to a quarter of the screen if you like.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Anyone know of any good apps to leave sticky notes on the desktop? I'm using my laptop to write in a very disorganised household, and it would be the one place I could leave myself notes without them going missing next time I open it up.

• Locked thread