Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Wow those icons are embarrassing. The only one that's not ripped off Apple, the maps, is clearly ripped of Google. One more reason for me to highly recommend numix-icon-theme-circle (and also numix-gtk-theme).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

C'mon, really? There's a huge range of possibilities between "totally random non-identifiable icon" and "the exact same layout and colors".

Does the "contacts" icon need to have letters on the right to be subconsciously identified quickly? Does the calculator app need to have a 2x2 grid with equals on the lower right in orange? It's not like that's a super obvious design; my instinct, if I wanted to go with symbols instead of just blocks like the Windows icon, would be to include division as well, or just addition and subtraction like the Android icon. Having multiplication but not division feels like a very specific thing. If it were say a 3x2 grid with = taking two spaces would it take longer for iPhone users to figure out what it was for? I doubt it.

I mean, I agree with your point of "who really cares". The real reason I like the numix icons is that they look good, I couldn't care less if they're the same as some other platform. But the point about the icons needing to be easily identifiable? B.S. It's laziness.

E: It does make a good argument for going with third-party icons, in a way. It shows that the Ubuntu team put very little effort into their icons, so going with icons that have real thought and effort behind them is an easy choice. And if I'm going third-party anyway all the better that Canonical spends less time on icons and more time on everything else. But these are so close I wouldn't be surprised if they get sued. Even minor things like pointing the compass in a different direction and choosing some different colors here and there could go a long way to make it less obvious, I think.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 12, 2014

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I am not a book posted:

Oh for sure Numix looks really nice, not my particular cup of tea but I can appreciate the work that's gone into it because it really shows.
You're kind of missing the point of an ideogram though if you think that they don't need to be easily identifiable; I really don't even know how to respond to that, because the idea that I should have to guess what a button does is completely foreign to me. Look at this picture. It uses some cultural shorthand obviously(slashed circle), but it's immediately obvious what the intent is... and that's how computer interfaces should be. Anything else makes interaction difficult for the user, which defeats the entire purpose.

No, you missed my point. Of course I agree that the icons should be easily identifiable and not require any mental effort to identify.

But I don't think pointing the compass in a direction other than NE or making the equals sign a different color would add any mental overhead at all.

E: I mean what are you trying to say with that image you linked? That now all "no dogs" signs need to have the dog facing to the right for the intent be easily identifiable? Because that's the level of similitude we're dealing with here.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 12, 2014

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Fair enough. I meant that's a BS excuse for the extreme similarity, not a BS thing to shoot for in general.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

In my experience this is the fault of Windows, not Linux. I once set up a Windows 8 machine to dual-boot to Ubuntu, and it worked great... until the next time I booted into Windows, which would helpfully (and silently) "fix" the EFI settings for me, removing the Ubuntu entry, so I'd have to dick around in the bios menus to be able to boot to Ubuntu again. Annoying as hell.

(Note: this was maybe six months ago; no idea if Microsoft has fixed that since then.)

FYI I recommend a (Windows) program called EasyBCD for sorting all this stuff out. I use it to dual-boot W8 and Ubuntu via the Windows EFI selector. Although I haven't booted into Windows in a long time so I'm not sure if I ever upgraded to 8.1.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Radio Talmudist posted:

Wow, this is awesome. Might try this tonight.

If you're talking about EasyBCD, I may as well describe my setup since the docs on their website look a bit out of date.

I installed grub2 directly to my Ubuntu partition (i.e. /dev/sda<n> instead of the usually recommended /dev/sda), and used EasyBCD to point a BCD entry there. So I get two boot options: one that goes straight into Windows, and the other that goes to grub2 and from there to Ubuntu.

However, at work I didn't bother with this and just let grub2 manage everything the way evol262 is suggesting, and haven't had any problems. But again, I haven't booted into Windows in a few months.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

After trying it out on my Chromebook, I'm considering making the switch from Unity to Gnome3 for my Ubuntu DE. I like the dynamic desktop idea, although unless I'm missing some features I don't think it's quite there yet.

So.. is there a way to add a desktop in-between two other desktops, i.e. anywhere but the bottom? Or to easily shift existing desktops up or down? Without that it's hard to keep related desktops together. I find myself moving one app down, then alt-tabbing and moving something else down, ad nauseum, just to create an empty space somewhere.

Another killer feature would be a dynamic 2D arrangement, automatically adding columns to the right.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

I have to ask, how does ubuntu - particularly flash on chromium - fare on the Chromebook, and what are the specs?

Last I tried, I could get the footprint of a barebones IceWM install with gnome-tools down to a couple of gigs, but I'm very doubtful about about flash or openbox in many ways

No idea as to flash on chromium. In general Ubuntu works fine. I don't use a lot of graphical applications but I do data analysis. While I usually work remotely from the chromebook, it's capable of crunching numbers if necessary. As far as applications, the beefiest thing I've run is probably PyCharm, which works but is sluggish when it's indexing. Unity was slow at times but not too bad, Gnome3 is very smooth.

I have an Acer C7 from 2012, the C720 I've heard is plenty powerful. If you're more concerned about compatibility I could test something for you. I don't see why any of that wouldn't work though.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I didn't try out Gnome3 for performance reasons but I was pleasantly surprised to find it snappier. A lot of the Unity overlays were slow on my C7, the super-key overlay is a bit sluggish in Gnome as well but still faster than Unity's. Everything else, switching desktops, etc, is smooth on Gnome. In Unity sometimes moving a window to another desktop would hiccup for maybe a 1/4 or 1/2 second.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

quote:

EDIT 2: Well poo poo, nevermind. It's a feature...in that case, anyone know how to revert it back to the old style?

Hmm I thought that looked funny too but I just checked my Ubuntu Gnome installation and mine looks the same. I guess I never noticed that difference.

I also thought it was suspicious for it to occur on boot up but of course you probably had updated the last time you were in Ubuntu.

If anything there might be a setting in gsettings or gconftool-2. Browse the tree and see if you find anything. There's a graphical tool too but I don't recall what it's called.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Radio Talmudist posted:

I bought a Chromebook that will be arriving at my place later today. I intend to install crouton on it and run Ubuntu. Anything I should know about Ubuntu via Chroot? Like limitations and whatnot.

Are you already experienced in Linux? I'd recommend avoiding launching a full Linux desktop environment as much as possible. Instead, use enter-chroot to access the command line. If you want to launch a graphical application, use xiwi to launch it in a Chrome window (xiwi -T to launch it in a tab). I've found that doing this has forced me to learn a lot of Linux stuff and I really enjoy a workflow involving ChromeOS, a Linux terminal, and only occasionally an X application via xiwi. As awesome as crouton is, don't let it prevent you from using ChromeOS to its fullest.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Trying to minimize my reliance on a chroot desktop has pushed me toward decentralized tools with minimal dependencies. I can work on someone else's computer or a public computer if need be. If I'm working in a computer lab at school, I don't have to awkwardly squeeze my laptop onto the table between the desktops, I can just use the provided computers. If my Chromebook dies I'll have my full environment within ten minutes of turning on a new one. Also, crouton can be finicky, ChromeOS updates require crouton updates and sometimes new workarounds need to be developed by the devs. Sometimes major changes in ChromeOS change what's possible in crouton. For example Google recently replaced X with Freon (at least that's my understanding of what Freon replaced). Not having to rely on graphical stuff gives me some peace of mind.

Also, ChromeOS is really nice. Both web browsing and its window manager will be smoother than anything in a chroot desktop. The window manager has some nice features too. So I'd rather use xiwi and let ChromeOS handle the window management.

Of course, YMMV. For me, the benefits may have come at some up-front cost, like becoming more fluent at the command line, learning new tools, etc. It's not just that I like the workflow but I like what it's forced me to learn. Maybe I'm just handicapping myself, though :shrug:. It also helps that I have a computer in my office that I can install server-client software on, and run stuff remotely. These changes in my workflow have meant that I no longer feel hamstrung when I'm not on my main PC, my workflow is the same wherever I am.

Edit: my other advice is to use chroots to experiment. As the README says, chroots are cheap. Rather than trying to perfect one that you use for everything, make a bunch, especially as you're trying to figure out what works for you.

Also, be wary of running off an SD card. It can be extremely slow even with a fast SD card, and there's a longstanding ChromeOS bug where it doesn't properly remount the SD card after sleep, causing all sorts of problems.

Edit2: Oh, one more reason I like to stick with ChromeOS is I have the Lenovo Yoga 11e, which folds back into tablet mode, and I actually use the touchscreen a fair amount. It's just not the same in a chroot. This was one of the first things that pushed me away from an "all crouton, all the time" workflow.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 27, 2015

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

You might want to try it with Oracle Java instead of the default open-source Java. It might still be too slow for your Chromebook but it should be significantly improved.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

xthnru posted:

This feels a touch like necroing, but w/e. I've been using Ubuntu for about two weeks and find myself wanting to dick around in the terminal because it's fun. Any suggestions on things that will facilitate such things? Maybe some quality of life stuff? I don't know what I'm doing yet, but I figure learning by doing is the best way to go.

I really like fish shell, so maybe give that a try, for terminal QOL. Set up your shell configuration (.bashrc, .pam_environment, .bash_profile, etc. or .config/fish for fish shell), .gitconfig and/or.hgrc, .vimrc or .emacs or whatever, and create some sort of dotfile repo. I use dotbot and really like it. Just that process of configuring your shell, version control, and a text editor will give a good amount of terminal experience, while working to improve your terminal experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Going off your command line version, try //192.168.1.130/Public or //192.168.1.130/nfs.

• Locked thread