Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Just Another Lurker posted:

Bummer to hear that Mint isn't playing nice with WINE, does this affect their Debian based version of Mint as well as the Ubuntu derived one? :ohdear:

I don't use Wine so I wouldn't know, but I would not expect their Debian edition to be better, probably worse if anything. It is based on Debian Testing, except that they use update packs on a very infrequent basis instead of the normal regular rolling updates from the Debian. Their support of these update packs have been lagging. In an effort to be more stable then Testing, it has become a bit of a mess.

Honestly, anything based on Debian Testing with update packs seem to have a shaky future. Solydx/k (a fork of Mint Debian) just decided to abandon the model and I would assume Mint Debian will too. If you can handle the older software, just install Debian Stable. I use that with Openbox on my virtualboxes and they run great.

However, I do use Linux Mint 17 Xfce edition as well, and although I don't use Wine, it has been great. If the only reason why it doesn't work well with Wine is because it doesn't install recommended updates by default, it shouldn't be a big deal. I run the update every couple weeks and usually update everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

ShadowHawk posted:

Sure. In a recent release Mint decided to deliberately disable the installation of recommended packages by default. Given that the entire Ubuntu (and Debian) archives are designed to expect recommended packages by default, this has the side effect of (almost but not completely) breaking many apps. Wine, the package I make that uses a lot of recommends for their intended purpose as soft but not strict dependencies, ends up not working on Mint systems. This happens because Mint broke the package installer deliberately.

Just checked my Mint 17 Xfce Update Manager and Recommends are installed by default. Maybe they changed it back?

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Nitrousoxide posted:

So I tried regular rear end Ubuntu but I kept getting "something went wrong" whenever I started the computer. I also lost the wifi connection widget and nothing I did seemed to get it back.

I tried Ubuntu MATE but I hated the UI and the lack of an easy search like I had with regular rear end Ubuntu (hit the windows key and search) made getting around way slower and clunkier.

Now I'm on Linux Mint 17 and so far no error messages and the search function works as good or better than Ubuntu. I even setup Steam to be able to stream games from my desktop and installed the drivers for my video card to it runs way better. So far I've been really happy with Mint. Is there something I'm missing here that Mint has busted from other versions of Linux that will come back to bite me? The OP said Mint is kinda garbage but it's the best distro I've tried so far.

Mint is still very popular and well reviewed. I have had no problems with Mint 17, and it is pretty much the nicest distro I have used. So the OP has some legitimate issues with Mint and how its update settings affect Wine. This was followed by other people concluding it is "basically horrible". Lets not get carried away here. If you are having great experiences with it, just keep using it.

• Locked thread