Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Surprise T Rex posted:

I wish I'd known about Mint basically being terrible before now. I'd always thought it was basically an almost-identical alternative to Ubuntu.

I never had problems with Mint when I used it for their Mint 14-16(?) releases. It ran far better than Ubuntu which would give random popup errors all over the place. I still use Cinnamon over in Arch Linux and the only problem I have with it is the menu opening poo poo when I move the mouse quickly over the taskbar after opening it. Otherwise it's solid.

Mint decided to stop making parity to each Ubuntu release and just work from the LTS builds. I think the entire thing is a wasted endeavour and they should work from Debian which is more stable not Ubuntu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Xenomorph posted:

I'm not sure where to ask this, but I only have noticed the problem under Ubuntu 14.04 (although it's probably a VLC issue).

I stream TV from an HDHomeRun. It uses DLNA for the network stuff. The stream is MPEG2 video, AC3 audio.

There are cable "hiccups" every now and then (gently caress you, Charter) that cause a ~1 second blip in the data received. With any TV in the house or any Windows system running VLC, this results in the picture getting blocky and the sound cutting out for ~1 second. Then everything returns to normal.

If I have a system booted to Ubuntu Linux, VLC loses audio completely during this "blip" and it doesn't come back. Video returns to normal but there is no sound. VLC has to reload the stream completely in order to decode sound again.

How do I begin troubleshooting something like this? Are there other AC3 codecs for Ubuntu I could try? Why would audio cut out if the stream is lost for a second?

I had this problem, both with my Raspberry Pi running OpenElec with codec purchased and with my main computer. I noticed my entire network was pushing 10 years old so I replaced it with Gigabit stuff and haven't had a problem since.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

xthnru posted:

Thanks, despite the vague question those were the kind of answers I was looking for (less so on the Arch Linux, that poo poo looks too terrifying for me at my current experience level).

Just start doing everything you possibly could imagine from the terminal. Move a file? Google and learn how to do it in the terminal. Mount a drive? Format a drive? Google it. Given that you're using Ubuntu you'll be repairing the install every time you do a version bump so Google every problem you encounter. If a program gets lovely with you launch it using the terminal and see what it says. Often times you can just copy/paste the errors into Google and get a bug report / fix.

Don't feel anchored to Ubuntu either despite it's "newbie" reputation. Fedora is just as easy to use. Antergos is a decent distro that lets you have the Arch Linux experience without the tryhard installing process.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What is the deal with Ubuntu Touch? Has that project been silently dropped? There seems to be absolutely no amateur dev scene around it. XDA has people making lovely roms for almost every device and this seems like it would be equally suited to that scene.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TopherCStone posted:

Still happening. Over the past year a handful of phones were released (I don't think any in the US). I don't necessarily see why an Ubuntu phone would benefit from custom roms, and it's possible that any amateur development is happening as code submitted to the official Ubuntu project.

I meant porting it to every device when I talked about roms. There seems to be nothing on that front as far as I can tell. There seems to be no talk about it in any of the usual places.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

cheese-cube posted:

Isn't audio on Linux historically a fuckup?

Works fine for me. I started using Linux in 2011 and I've never had a gently caress up that wasn't caused by myself.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Merkinman posted:

16.04LTS Came out today.

I think the most notable changes are replacing Ubuntu apps for Debian apps (Calendar and Software). Also, the ability to move the Unity dock to the bottom of the screen.

So I just switched from Arch to Ubuntu to try out Unity for a bit. How is this done? When I move windows from the left to right monitor they keep getting caught on the edge and try maximizing. I'd prefer the dock on the bottom/top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

pyonium posted:

For changing the dock, the command
code:
gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Launcher launcher-position Bottom (or Top/Left/Right)
should do the trick.

:tviv: I may actually try figuring out how to get Unity running on Arch since it runs like a real desktop when it's on the bottom like this. Gnome runs like absolute poo poo under X and Wayland on this low power box. Budgie was a fun DE to tinker with and KDE just doesn't fit my style. Cinnamon is a nice DE as well.

• Locked thread