Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Can someone point me in the right direction re fixing wireless networking?

My Thinkpad T440s has an Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 and the download speeds are much slower over wifi than over ethernet.

The firmware is up to date (iwlwifi-7260-8.ucode).
Using wavemon I can see that the signal strength to router is hovering around 100%.
Using mtr I sometimes see a lot of packet loss between my laptop and the router, but other times no packet loss at all.

I don't really know where to start. I guess I should add the interface to /etc/networking/interfaces and configure it manually? But do I first need to disable whatever is currently handling networking (I'm on Ubuntu 14.04)? Should I install wicd? Basically I don't know how to start breaking things down so I can start again from scratch.

e: ugh it turned out to be my wifi extender that was the bottleneck.

fuf fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Specifically, I want to be able to define arbitrary regions that aren't necessarily halves and quarters of the screen and snap windows to them by dragging and keybind. Any suggestions?

There's a bunch of tiling window managers (i3, awesome) that'll do this, but they're pretty hardcore to set up and learn in my experience.

I have an issue: if I change my laptop display brightness (thinkpad t440s) and then switch to another user, I can't change the brightness anymore. I have to switch back to the first user to set brightness. What the gently caress?

• Locked thread