Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

LunaSky posted:

I switched to Windows 10 and apparently my windows key is not legit so I'm having lots of stability issues and can't go back to Win 7. I've been thinking about switching to Linux for quite a while. What would be the easiest way to make the switch? The only thing I'm worried about is my GPU has custom drivers because it's an unlocked/ flashed gpu. I have everything already backed up as well. Thanks for any advise in advance.

You can always download an Ubuntu DVD image and boot it to see if you like it without making any changes to your HD. You can do it off of a USB stick too if I remember right. You should be able to see how your GPU drivers work as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

LunaSky posted:

Awesome thanks a bunch!

Edit: I keep getting an error when trying to install ubuntu. It says "cannot download metalink therefore iso".

I did a google search for that and found a solution in the Ubuntu forums. It isn't a problem I have run into before. Did your GPU drivers load? What kind is it?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1546833

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

YouTuber posted:

Just start doing everything you possibly could imagine from the terminal. Move a file? Google and learn how to do it in the terminal. Mount a drive? Format a drive? Google it. Given that you're using Ubuntu you'll be repairing the install every time you do a version bump so Google every problem you encounter. If a program gets lovely with you launch it using the terminal and see what it says. Often times you can just copy/paste the errors into Google and get a bug report / fix.

Don't feel anchored to Ubuntu either despite it's "newbie" reputation. Fedora is just as easy to use. Antergos is a decent distro that lets you have the Arch Linux experience without the tryhard installing process.

That right there is really good advice for a newbie in regards to Linux. You can always download CD/DVD images from any of the distros and try them for free and I think with all of them these days, you can run a live disk to see if you like it or not.

• Locked thread