Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal
try from the command line - first, make a note of your mount point where ever that is on your system. then do the following - mount.cifs //ip.address.of.device/share -o username=username,password=password /mountpoint

Example from my own system:

[root@homenas /]# mount.cifs //192.168.1.251/data -o username=jason,password=***** /data

[root@homenas /]# mount
*snip*
//192.168.1.251/data on /data type cifs (rw)

This is a simple CIFS/Windows mount on a Linux system. You should be able to do the same. This is what the fstab entry looks like:

//192.168.1.251/data /data cifs rw,username=jason,password=***** 0 0

If you add the fstab entry first, you would mount it by issuing the command 'mount /data' or 'mount -a' to mount all filesystems. The above line is NOT a command. If you get an error, check the logs on the server side to see what's failing. Keep the command as basic as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

G-Prime posted:

You guys keep on pointing out cifs, and he says he's trying to use nfs. Am I missing something where mount.cifs now includes NFS support? Or is there just some misnomer here?

His replies kept including //sharename/share which is CIFS format. If it was address:/path I would have given him an NFS path instead. So basically I just went with what he was technically asking for.

• Locked thread