Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Apparently there were enemymodel restrictions as recently as 3 months ago or something but I've been a Pro subscriber for so long I didn't even realize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

zen death robot posted:

Do you still only get a limited number of plays per day unless you buy an upgraded account or whatever it used to be?

free players get a tiny selection of maps that rotate monthly that usually has 1 ok map per game mode and the rest are total garbage. you can play these poo poo maps as much as you want

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

By the way, if you want to have a tag that says nice! in front of your name, and you promise to be a polite gamer, you can join my clan for polite gamers.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Wormskull posted:

Add wormskull and I'll get on maybe sometime I don't know, haven't been too motivated to play it lately since it's fairly dead in USA.

All the servers I saw were in German, which is fail. I'll add you, my account name is zoqfot. Cheers.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

All the servers I saw were in German, which is fail. I'll add you, my account name is zoqfot. Cheers.

Oh if your not in the USA this will be a painful world of poo poo.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

SyncError told me there was once upon a time servers in Iceland but no one played on them.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Wormskull posted:

Oh if your not in the USA this will be a painful world of poo poo.

I'm in East Coast USA.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Bloodmobile posted:

free players get a tiny selection of maps that rotate monthly that usually has 1 ok map per game mode and the rest are total garbage. you can play these poo poo maps as much as you want

That sucks lol.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
The last time I played Quake 3 was when I was 10 and had no internet.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I'm in East Coast USA.

Oh phew. I guess you need to select "In My Vicinity" in the server browser.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Wormskull posted:

What's it matter if they do. I didn't know what quake was until 2009 and didn't play it until 2011 and I'm a devout fan now.

I was cool when it was cool to be cool. You're just luke warm, buddy.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

The last time I played Quake 3 was when I was 10 and had no internet.

I was in my drafting class and I fragged my Sociology class teacher while using a very naughty handle.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm to tired and lazy feeling to play right now but maybe later I will play.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hey retard, Don't sign your posts and also gently caress off back to YouTube. Don't send an admin a 20,000 word PM about this

if he actually sent you a huge pm please post it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Hog Butcher posted:

if he actually sent you a huge pm please post it

i probated him for a month for making a thread in GBS about his youtubes and then he sent ralp a giant PM whining about each and every entry on his rap sheet because of it, I used to have a copy of the first PM (it was so long that there's more than one PM) but it's lost to the sands of time. gamingo's a massive retard and does need to get the gently caress off SA

Best Regards
SM

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I think Richard Gamingo should write the next Steam Thread OP, he's pretty good at writing unnecessarily long posts about pointless poo poo.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I know they are trying to get more people to try QL by adding it to steam but they need to change the horrible layout they use for the launcher. I feel like most people end up playing CA but I kind of prefer duels nowadays or at least CTF.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I know they are trying to get more people to try QL by adding it to steam but they need to change the horrible layout they use for the launcher. I feel like most people end up playing CA but I kind of prefer duels nowadays or at least CTF.

There's an IRC for "natdmpickup" but I remember I sat in there once for about 8 hours watching a pickup flip between 4/8 and 5/8 players.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The european tdm pickup scene looks like 500% better, makes me want to move to Kiev.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I would be okay with 4 vs 4 ctf or 2 vs 2 CA on smaller maps but no one does this.

Wormskull posted:

There's an IRC for "natdmpickup" but I remember I sat in there once for about 8 hours watching a pickup flip between 4/8 and 5/8 players.

That requires me to use irc which I don't do because its 2014.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

2v2 CA is like the worst thing I can imagine.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I remember a while ago some idiot was trying to tell me why CA isn't as bad as I thought and I started to describe how a CA match always goes and I thought I was exaggerating a little bit and then I looked on Facebook 15 minutes later and saw by sheer coincidence that the Quake Live page shared a CA tournament video from Stermy starring probably the top 8 CA players in Europe and it was almost exactly what I was describing.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I used to play a lot of RA3 but CA is really bad. Lets give everyone 200/200 and all weapons and make every map a giant room.

Edit: Its like those CS maps for awp practice.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The funny thing about how big CA maps are is there's only one 10mx10m spot on any one of them that people play around and every 5 rounds someone ends up in a different room of it showing off how much of a spastic they are. It's such a sad waste of nearly all that makes Quake the best MP FPS. :sigh:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Wormskull posted:

The funny thing about how big CA maps are is there's only one 10mx10m spot on any one of them that people play around and every 5 rounds someone ends up in a different room of it showing off how much of a spastic they are. It's such a sad waste of nearly all that makes Quake the best MP FPS. :sigh:

maps or areas that take a giant poo poo on the game becoming popular isnt anything new. ut99 has andaction and endless sniper maps, which murders all of the cool vertical fights maps like deck16 have in favor of staring straight at some dude and hitting M1 when he walks into your crosshair while you run around like a moron. 2fort and sniper maps will always remain popular in tfc, so getting to play cool maps that aren't the same poo poo as ut99's sniper maps and small corridor spam-fests and aren't dustbowl are a rare treat. even well is becoming increasingly rare

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

There are bad maps in QL but the reason the "best" CA maps are still sad is because CA is bad. Overkill is a nice FFA map and would probably be an OK tdm map. Asylum is alright in FFA. Deep Inside isn't an awful tdm map. Campgrounds is a good duel map. And so on.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

So I think people like bad maps but they also like bad modes first and foremost I think (because if there is a bad mode they have an idea of what maps are the least bad on it), and, unlike being able to play Nuketown in CoD which is always a bad map no matter what, people want to ruin an otherwise probably decent map by playing clan arena on it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Wormskull posted:

So I think people like bad maps but they also like bad modes first and foremost I think (because if there is a bad mode they have an idea of what maps are the least bad on it), and, unlike being able to play Nuketown in CoD which is always a bad map no matter what, people want to ruin an otherwise probably decent map by playing clan arena on it.

yeah i never got the appeal of things like CA and RA. part of quake's fun is poo poo like map control and building yourself up from loser with a lovely starting weapon to a tank decked out with maxed out armor, health, OR BOTH in a matter of seconds. if you strip that away and max everyone out as soon as they spawn, q3 becomes a game where you shoot people with (mostly) boring and unsatisfying weapons while hopping around like a moron in a small chunk of a good map

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That said, in the USA people only play CTF on Space CTF. So whatever.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Wormskull posted:

That said, in the USA people only play CTF on Space CTF. So whatever.

so basically the ql community has Bad Taste in maps and game modes no matter what

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
FFA is my fav Mode. Im a normie

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
There's always a ffa Server or 2 Open in Germany where you will get fragged by Turks- with quad damage and good item Timings - in a matter of seconds

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Is it fascism yet posted:

FFA is my fav Mode. Im a normie

ffa rules no joke. random chaos makes dm games way more interesting in my book. even with the best routes, there's still a chance of a bottom feeder with a pistol/shotgun/machine gun/enforcer taking you down with a lucky shot. having to keep track of everyone makes things more fun and hectic, which is what, to me, games like quake dm and ut99 are all about

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Ugh campgrounds. Its an okay map thats overplayed, there are lots of maps that are fun to play but everyone always chooses campgrounds.

Like dm2, dm5, and dm7 are pretty good maps.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

There's always a ffa Server or 2 Open in Germany where you will get fragged by Turks- with quad damage and good item Timings - in a matter of seconds

quad spawns every 2 minutes. if you have problems timing quad you probably have something wrong with the part of your brain that does very simple maths

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Bloodmobile posted:

quad spawns every 2 minutes. if you have problems timing quad you probably have something wrong with the part of your brain that does very simple maths
That if as soon you respawn you don't forget about tactics and only care about frags and sick frags. Which is not my case.

closeted republican posted:

ffa rules no joke. random chaos makes dm games way more interesting in my book. even with the best routes, there's still a chance of a bottom feeder with a pistol/shotgun/machine gun/enforcer taking you down with a lucky shot. having to keep track of everyone makes things more fun and hectic, which is what, to me, games like quake dm and ut99 are all about
Agreed.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

thats the best gaming news i heard in a while. quake live is good, it getting more exposure is good.
fragging noobs and telling em to gb2tf2 will be good

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

qnqnx posted:

That if as soon you respawn you don't forget about tactics and only care about frags and sick frags. Which is not my case.

but quad frags are literally the sickest frags. ffa is boring if youre not just smearing everyone else across the walls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

• Locked thread