Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

qnqnx posted:

The only good thing about Team Arena was bringing back the nailgun.

the ta nailgun is kinda poo poo but the ta minigun owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Organs posted:

i don't even get the nailgun because its not like the q1 gun its more like some bizarro flak cannon

the nailgun isn't hard to gently caress up but somehow they did it by making it into a bargain bin flak cannon instead of making it shoot a steady stream of deadly nails. even loving quake 4 gets it right

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mung Dynasty posted:

call me crazy but what they shouldve done is just continue to add content to quake 3 arena and have some official vanilla servers to connect to instead of making some adblasted web game and trying to update it for fags

iirc they actually got a good amount of players the first year or so it went public then the population quickly dwindled to "slightly above regular Q3" so long term it wouldve been better just to update q3 and slash the price or something like that

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

quote:

russia and former soviet states are the biggest quake nations. they wont bring back the gore because nobody really cares

scandinavia and finland love them some quake as well. granted this is from what i know about q1 but it should apply to all the quakes

Oh, and

Falsum posted:

Play UT instead. :hellyeah:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Wormskull posted:

The funny thing about how big CA maps are is there's only one 10mx10m spot on any one of them that people play around and every 5 rounds someone ends up in a different room of it showing off how much of a spastic they are. It's such a sad waste of nearly all that makes Quake the best MP FPS. :sigh:

maps or areas that take a giant poo poo on the game becoming popular isnt anything new. ut99 has andaction and endless sniper maps, which murders all of the cool vertical fights maps like deck16 have in favor of staring straight at some dude and hitting M1 when he walks into your crosshair while you run around like a moron. 2fort and sniper maps will always remain popular in tfc, so getting to play cool maps that aren't the same poo poo as ut99's sniper maps and small corridor spam-fests and aren't dustbowl are a rare treat. even well is becoming increasingly rare

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Wormskull posted:

So I think people like bad maps but they also like bad modes first and foremost I think (because if there is a bad mode they have an idea of what maps are the least bad on it), and, unlike being able to play Nuketown in CoD which is always a bad map no matter what, people want to ruin an otherwise probably decent map by playing clan arena on it.

yeah i never got the appeal of things like CA and RA. part of quake's fun is poo poo like map control and building yourself up from loser with a lovely starting weapon to a tank decked out with maxed out armor, health, OR BOTH in a matter of seconds. if you strip that away and max everyone out as soon as they spawn, q3 becomes a game where you shoot people with (mostly) boring and unsatisfying weapons while hopping around like a moron in a small chunk of a good map

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Wormskull posted:

That said, in the USA people only play CTF on Space CTF. So whatever.

so basically the ql community has Bad Taste in maps and game modes no matter what

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Is it fascism yet posted:

FFA is my fav Mode. Im a normie

ffa rules no joke. random chaos makes dm games way more interesting in my book. even with the best routes, there's still a chance of a bottom feeder with a pistol/shotgun/machine gun/enforcer taking you down with a lucky shot. having to keep track of everyone makes things more fun and hectic, which is what, to me, games like quake dm and ut99 are all about

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bloodmobile posted:

but quad frags are literally the sickest frags. ffa is boring if youre not just smearing everyone else across the walls

timing doesnt meant poo poo when everyone jumps the quad guy when he's facing a slippery opponent :cool:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
i used to feel bad about interrupting one person focusing on another fights in ffa but now idgaf. its cool ruining their mini-duel and taking both of them out

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

kalstrams posted:

"Very soon" as of 17th July.

so it'll be around the middle of autumn then

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bloodmobile posted:

hot tip: one word leak from a ql focus tester. its loadouts

rip quake

ahahahaahahah

guess ill never touch ql again

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
dredwerkz or bust

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Falsum posted:

I'd be worried about the new UT, they're doing stupid poo poo like ~chasing the esports~ and thinking about engaging the spectators when designing the game, not engaging the players.

chasing esports morons is much better than loving LOADOUTS IN AN ARENA FPS

ill be joining kalstrams bc this is poo poo

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
even though ql is kinda dead im glad i got to play it during its heyday so i could see how q3a would've been like during its prime. i never played q3a until like 2007 or so. :shobon: im still a ut99 guy but ql made me appreciate q3a

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
lol @ people who thought it was fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Wormskull posted:

Those will have as many people playing them as Warsow does within a month of release.

• Locked thread