Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I really have to hand it whoever is turning out these DS and 3DS bootleg carts that are able to get past the latest security update for the 3DS, because they're doing a bang up job. A few days ago I had to get my money back for getting a counterfeit DS game, it looked real official from at first glance but upon further inspection there was a ton of poo poo that was off about it. And now today I'm in the city and I'm seeing a shitload of 3DS bootlegs(both systems and games) being sold at shops and bodegas.

Now the big thing about the GBA counterfeits was that the plastic would be a cheaper material and the circuitry would not say NINTENDO on them. DS counterfeits could be spotted because the serial number usually wouldn't match up or the Nintendo Logo would look off or be cut into the plastic and not embossed and the circuit board would be made out of different materials, or the sticker was entirely different.

So vendor was selling a bunch of opened 3DS games for 2 bucks each. And we're not talking garbage games this was stuff like Link between Worlds, Pokémon, Pheonix Wright/Professor Layton, 3D Land, etc.

Right next to them he's selling counterfeit 3DS systems for 10 bucks. Now the boxes were pretty obvious in that they were counterfeits. But the machines themselves looked exactly like the regular 3DSes and powered up and the User interface was the same.

So I figured 12 bucks to satisfy my curiosity. Bought a fake 3DS and a fake copy of pokemon X. And you honestly cannot tell the difference from the official and real carts on the surface level at all. There was nothing wrong or different about them. The Nintendo logo is perfect, the serial number matches, the sticker looked official, even the connectors had the right looking material and everything. You had to actually open up the carts to see the difference, because the interior circuitry is the only way to tell the difference. and Opening up a 3DS cart isn't easy because you're damned afraid of breaking the thing. The other way to tell is to play long enough into the game to use the internet features because those don't work.

the fake 3DS though is a weird one. it will run the updates if you install them from a cart(after first setting the thing to English because it comes with Chinese as the default language), but it can't connect to the eshop and while it has mii-verse and everything none of those wi-fi things work and are unable to street pass. It does however come with 4 Swords anniversary edition installed and no region locking. And it plays the official games no issues(outside of internet stuff not working). It's a region free 3DS. It also didn't come with an SD card so I needed to provide my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

stop posting

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

nobody wants to hear about free dreamcast games and nobody cares about this except my grandma because she's a frugal bitch

hth op

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
are we supposed to feel bad for you because you can't pirate 3ds games or something

Dec 26, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

stop posting

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

i didn't read any of that, op

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I'm very interested OP please ignore these trolls and go back and buy all the counterfeit games and maybe another counterfeit 3ds and report back

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

so are you seriously outraged because a pirated knock-off of something turned out to be a piece of poo poo?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Dwight Evans posted:

i didn't read any of that, op

I tried to but had to give up

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kimmalah posted:

so are you seriously outraged because a pirated knock-off of something turned out to be a piece of poo poo?

The counterfeits look exactly the same and are of a very similar quality. You have to actually dig deep into the cart or actually play the game to an extended point to find out that it's a fake.

It will destroy the secondary market for 3DS games much like how the GBA and DS secondary markets are like playing a game of Russian roulette with fakes and poo poo. Only these are real high quality effort fakes.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

The counterfeits look exactly the same and are of a very similar quality. You have to actually dig deep into the cart or actually play the game to an extended point to find out that it's a fake.

It will destroy the secondary market for 3DS games much like how the GBA and DS secondary markets are like playing a game of Russian roulette with fakes and poo poo. Only these are real high quality effort fakes.

I see. I guess I'd be more upset if I ever used a 3DS. :shrug:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

buy digital, op.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

it was loving 2 dollars for "used" games that came out less than a year ago

you were stupid to go "hey this is probably legit"

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

it was loving 2 dollars for "used" games that came out less than a year ago

you were stupid to go "hey this is probably legit"

No I bought them knowing they were fakes.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

why won't my pirated games work :qq:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

why won't my pirated games work :qq:

The only thing that doesn't work about them is their online features and cross DS play features. They work in a regular 3DS which was something that was supposedly patched out.

They are extremely hard to tell apart from the original games. Which is the problem I have with them.

You have to literally get a magnifying glass and you might see some degraded print quality on the label but it's near impossible to tell with the naked eye.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

kinda sounds like the pirated games do work and old taint was just trying to chinwag about his adventures in 3ds piracy

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
taint reaped again

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

The only thing that doesn't work about them is their online features and cross DS play features. They work in a regular 3DS which was something that was supposedly patched out.

They are extremely hard to tell apart from the original games. Which is the problem I have with them.

maybe you should try buying legit versions of the game instead of buying pirated poo poo so you can brag about how little money you spend on poo poo

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I hope nintendo sues you and the ruling stipulates that you can't post anymore

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
id buy a fake 3ds or wahtever for $10

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
ban for :files:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

wait i'm kinda confused on the logistics of how you manage to build and sell a fake 3ds for $10 and still somehow make a profit

like surely the cost of all the poo poo to build a fake 3ds comes up to more than $10. does it have all the 3d poo poo gutted or?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
its probably hot

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mabels big day posted:

buy digital, op.

This is Nintendo we're speaking of

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Here's pictures of a real copy of Pokémon Y and the Fake copy of X

side by side comparison, and it's drat near impossible to tell which one is legit. You have to open it up to find discrepancies in the board. Or try trading with a real copy and find out that it's not possible.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 28, 2014

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
you are a sperg

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

You have to literally get a magnifying glass and you might see some degraded print quality on the label but it's near impossible to tell with the naked eye.

Mr.Unique-Name already pointed it out, but the thing you're missing is the context. If you're buying relatively new games super-cheap from some bodega or flea market stall, then most people are going to realize something's fishy about that without needing a magnifying glass to look for minute differences in the cartridges.

This is like complaining about the dangers of counterfeit sound systems when you bought equipment from the back of a dude's van in a parking lot.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kimmalah posted:

Mr.Unique-Name already pointed it out, but the thing you're missing is the context. If you're buying relatively new games super-cheap from some bodega or flea market stall, then most people are going to realize something's fishy about that without needing a magnifying glass to look for minute differences in the cartridges.

This is like complaining about the dangers of counterfeit sound systems when you bought equipment from the back of a dude's van in a parking lot.

I bought them knowing they were fake I said so in the OP. What I'm talking about is that there really is no physical surface level differences between the fake and the real deal games. Which is something I find troubling.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 28, 2014

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

yes, it's worse than thinking "oh man this is too good of a deal to be real I'm totally getting it"

it's "I think I'm gonna give money to an organized crime ring instead of spending extra money on the actual thing"

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

yes, it's worse than thinking "oh man this is too good of a deal to be real I'm totally getting it"

it's "I think I'm gonna give money to an organized crime ring instead of spending extra money on the actual thing"

But I did spend money on the real thing, look at the copy of Pokémon Y I posted there. That's my real copy that I bought at Toysrus.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

I bought them knowing they were fake I said so in the OP. What I'm talking about is that there really is no physical surface level differences between the fake and the real deal games. Which is something I find troubling.

And we're trying to tell you that it probably doesn't matter if you just pay attention to the circumstances, like you're paying $2 for a game that came out last week or something.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

But I did spend money on the real thing, look at the copy of Pokémon Y I posted there. That's my real copy that I bought at Toysrus.

that isn't how it works

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kimmalah posted:

And we're trying to tell you that it probably doesn't matter if you just pay attention to the circumstances, like you're paying $2 for a game that came out last week or something.

Fakes will wind up at Gamestop and retro game stores.

The fact that they're in circulation and they're able to bypass the current security features is a serious issue.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

Fakes will wind up at Gamestop and retro game stores.

The fact that they're in circulation and they're able to bypass the current security features is a serious issue.

the fact that you're buying them on purpose only assists them in doing that

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

you don't get to participate in making the poo poo more widespread then lament how terrible it is

"man meth is so horrible and it ruins lives" *cooks a shitload of meth*

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

the fact that you're buying them on purpose only assists them in doing that

I never sell my games so this is one that will not be circulating. Even the bootlegs and crappy systems I find at dollar stores and sears because I watch Ashens and then get the urge to blow a dollar on something weird.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

I never sell my games so this is one that will not be circulating. Even the bootlegs and crappy systems I find at dollar stores and sears because I watch Ashens and then get the urge to blow a dollar on something weird.

purchasing it is giving them money and encouraging them to continue doing it

how is this difficult to understand? you are directly contributing to them doing what you are whining about

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

purchasing it is giving them money and encouraging them to continue doing it

how is this difficult to understand? you are directly contributing to them doing what you are whining about

It's a double edged sword, because I've already shared this info with other people who might be able to do something about it. But I couldn't exactly steal the cart and system directly from the vendor despite knowing full well that they were selling illegal stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

• Locked thread