Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

You could not buy the fakes and tell people you know "hey don't buy those, they're fake."

Realistically there's not much more you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Kimmalah posted:

You could not buy the fakes and tell people you know "hey don't buy those, they're fake."

Realistically there's not much more you can do.

you can file a report with ebay or whatever site bootlegs are being sold though also, I don't know how much they bother investigating though

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

For once Taint Reaper is not in the most retarded side of the topic

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

you can file a report with ebay or whatever site bootlegs are being sold though also, I don't know how much they bother investigating though

That's what I meant by "realistically." He can report this stuff to whoever he wants, but I don't know how much good it's going to do.

qnqnx posted:

For once Taint Reaper is not in the most retarded side of the topic

My precious 3DS carts! :qq:

Soral
May 30, 2009

who cares

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Taint post pics of the bootleg ds I think this stuff is neat

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
this is legit neat and i don't get why people are getting all flustered

pirated copies of things being of that quality is impressive. the best one i've ever seen was my friend's little brother's gameboy advance, which was a color i hadn't seen before. On closer inspection, Nintendo was written nowhere on the thing and it was called a "for Advance"

worked perfect for 800 hours of FFTA when I let the friend borrow it and had better quality shoulder buttons

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Apparently it's ruining the 3DS or something?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
just ignore that part it's dumb. focus on the cool part.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I'm not seriously concerned considering I haven't bought anything from Nintendo in decades really.

Dec 26, 2012

hes worried about the secondary market being swarmed by fakes because they look authentic now, he doesnt want to buy a real cartridge used at a legit place and have it turn out to be fake

i think anyway. treap cant make a point like a normal person so you have to read a bit into it

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
A region free 3DS?

why the gently caress would you *not* buy that?

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i just don't worry about it by buying digitally

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Biggie Shorty posted:

A region free 3DS?

why the gently caress would you *not* buy that?

That's my first thought, too.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Lmao that Taint Reaper buys his games at Toys R Us

Dec 26, 2012

yeah i wanna see the counterfeit 3ds itself

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
no see the 3ds is only made of 5$ of parts and

poo poo is hot

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
taint reaper, dissect the counterfeit 3ds

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
even bootlegged with the shittiest bare minimum parts and missing half the poo poo like wi-fi it would cost >$10

its a hot bootleg

Dec 26, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

taint reaper, dissect the counterfeit 3ds

im vaguely curious to see how it compares to the real teardown yeah. just pics would be ok though

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Taint Reaper post the bootleg 3DS

surc
Aug 17, 2004

qnqnx posted:

also

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

purchasing it is giving them money and encouraging them to continue doing it

how is this difficult to understand? you are directly contributing to them doing what you are whining about

This is the one time I have been like "man those people attacking taint reaper are dumb". He was interested in how it compared to the real thing so he paid them $12 for the ability to investigate. $12 is not a lot of money, it is probably not going to make a big difference, and I do not think most people are buying these for the same reason, I think most people are buying them because they want cheap games.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's a double edged sword, because I've already shared this info with other people who might be able to do something about it.

thank you op, we will be taking action to prosecute anyone who bought these bootleg 3ds games shortly

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
taint reaper, send both to smealum

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
unless we see proof pics of 3ds bootleg, The Taint Reaper is likely just trolling and posting pics of his poo poo games

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

surc posted:

This is the one time I have been like "man those people attacking taint reaper are dumb". He was interested in how it compared to the real thing so he paid them $12 for the ability to investigate. $12 is not a lot of money, it is probably not going to make a big difference, and I do not think most people are buying these for the same reason, I think most people are buying them because they want cheap games.

I dropped it for a reason

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I, too, want to see it disassembled

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008

qnqnx posted:

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
sned the taintds

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Hey can we have a taint reaper wisdom nook that he's trained to. All may view but only the taint reaper can post.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Well I can post the pictures of the bootlegs and all, but not a disassembly. First off I'm not sure if I can put it back together once it's taken apart, second of all instead of those little flat head Phillips screws the regular DS has it's got those security bit screws(not the triwings the other ones) which I have no way of unscrewing.

I can also trigger this awesome error screen.

Dec 26, 2012

torx maybe?

the bootleg pictures alone would be fine

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Send it to me ill gently caress it up no problem

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

simsense cumshots posted:

Hey can we have a taint reaper wisdom nook that he's trained to. All may view but only the taint reaper can post.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Ok here's some of the offerings from my bootleg collection

That's a bootleg Gameboy with the bootleg DS. They're both instances of looking real official but probably have real shoddy interior work because they're both fairly light. The Gameboy still turns on but everything is loose as all hell on it. Gameboy shells are pretty easy to acquire by themselves and by many 3rd party providers. And this goes for all types of Gameboys even all variations of the advance.

The wonderful error screen I get when I try to bootup some games on the fake 3DS. Unsure if there's a pattern between what games it accepts and what it doesn't.

A fake GBA cart and a Fake DS cart. Surprisingly both work in their respected systems. The DS cart looks way more official compared to the GBA one. But if you put the official by the fake the differences tend to show.

So yeah I've acquired a number of bootlegs over the years collecting

Dec 26, 2012

do the 3ds buttons and etc look right? does it do 3d correctly and all that?

Dec 26, 2012

its got the dual cameras so 3ds i assume

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
good quality bootlegs are a wondrous thing, i do not report them to anyone

bad quality bootlegs insult me and i will report them to whoever i can, like some fucker was selling movies recorded on a $20 walmart camcorder at a flea market and my dad called the fbi piracy line

zen death robot posted:

wait is this a bootleg DS or a 3DS, this is a big loving difference

it's a 3ds and some 3ds games

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zen death robot posted:

wait is this a bootleg DS or a 3DS, this is a big loving difference
It doesn't feel right calling it a 3DS when the 3D doesn't even work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

It doesn't feel right calling it a 3DS when the 3D doesn't even work.

What about the cameras?

qnqnx fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 28, 2014

• Locked thread