Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

I prefer velcro ties for cable bundling, but I will use zip ties for things that need a tighter or more permanent fit, like securing power cables so they don't accidentally get yanked out (Someone make a latching IEC 60320 C13 connector thanks in advance)

Neutrik Powercon

A lot of audio and lighting equipment use that. I know of one major scandinavian concert sound provider that switched from C13 to PowerCons on all DSPs in their drive racks (what goes between the mixer and the amplifiers in the audio chain) after one of the DSPs at a big concert lost power due to a C13 working it's way loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Juniper have a pretty awesome retention device for their C13 cables.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Collateral Damage posted:

Zip ties are extremely cheap though, there's nothing wrong with just cutting and replacing them.

I prefer velcro ties for cable bundling, but I will use zip ties for things that need a tighter or more permanent fit, like securing power cables so they don't accidentally get yanked out (Someone make a latching IEC 60320 C13 connector thanks in advance)

^ securing cables to punch down panels is another good use for zip ties where velcro doesn't cut it.

true, good points. esp re: cost.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The fluke LRAT 2000 is loving awesome and I want to get one at the new job

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The only tool I've really used was a Stanley Fatmax PZ1 screwdriver when I worked in a datacentre. Also some velcro ties and a Spyderco UK Penknife to cut them.

Thanks Ants posted:

Juniper have a pretty awesome retention device for their C13 cables.

A lot of Cisco devices also. And I don't know where we got them from, but you do get cables which have clips on the C13 side (albeit not the C14 side). The problem is they're a pain to get out if you don't have clear access around the connector.

thenotoriouspie
Feb 28, 2010
SUPREME
GOON HERO
-2011-

(hell yes)
:hist101:
My ifixit tool kit does almost every job I do. The only thing that I could complain about it is that I've had to replace my T6 bit because of a Retina Macbook Pro trackpad screw was so sealed in place that it just broke the bit. I used a different one and it got it with no issues. Other then that I've been extremely happy with it and it's been amazing since it's really small and fits in every tiny place I need it to.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
In terms of really high quality tools I love:
- Wiha (German goodness already praised in the thread)
- Wera (another German company)
- Bahco (Swedish company recently bought by Snap On, extremely good quality)
- Engineer (Japanese company)

Not for a tool bag but I loving adore the Engineer SS-02 solder sucker.

In terms of a portable kit the Engineer KS-27 if you can find it cheap is my favorite besides my Wiha kit.

(The driver is also a circuit tester :swoon:)

Edit: How could I forget my favorite Engineer gimmick:
http://www.engineer.jp/en/products/pz55_56e.html

P.S. Having friends that travel to Japan for work is the best thing ever.

deimos fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 4, 2014

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

deimos posted:

Edit: How could I forget my favorite Engineer gimmick:
http://www.engineer.jp/en/products/pz55_56e.html

P.S. Having friends that travel to Japan for work is the best thing ever.

Have a pair of these, they are super useful for getting stupid security screws out of things.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

3 most important items in my bag:
* verizon LTE modem, old school UML290 that doesn't do dumb poo poo like create a stub LAN. Also works on linux.
* verizon LTE iPad, free hotspot
* Nexus4 on AT&T for the cases when verizon don't cut it

Get bandwidth, solve anything.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Bread bag ties.

Toothy pliers.

That's it.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Varies according to the job... sometimes just a laptop, sometimes everything up to and including a spectrum analyzer.

Some things I really like to have floating around:
- Roll of self-adhering velcro
- Amalgamating tape (for outdoors)
- Cable ties
- Multimeter
- Gas soldering iron
- disposable ear plugs

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Every tech in my department just got a Leatherman Skeletool. Thanks for the recommendations, these things are great!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mindphlux posted:

I was taking inventory of my tool bag today to see if I could get rid of anything (it's heavy :< ), and since I had the list typed up, I figured I'd make a post.

I currently use a large laptop bag to haul my ultrabook and a bunch of kit around to client sites. The bag I use is an earlier version of this http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Checkmate-Checkpoint-Friendly-Laptop/dp/B001GR363Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top Samsonite Checkmate bag.

It works pretty well, but a lot of my tools don't really neatly fit into compartments, so it can get disorganized pretty easily. I've gotten more and more strict with myself on where and how I put in and take out gear, and strap down cables, etc - so it's better these days.

Still though, I just put it on a scale out of curiosity - with my ultrabook it weighs 17.4lbs altogether. :( :( :( I went to a tailor to get fitted for some shirts recently, and the tailor was like 'hummmm, that's odd. your left shoulder slumps about half an inch lower than your right - do you carry anything heavy on that shoulder often?' and I had to go to frown-town. :smith:

Anyways, here's what I got -

1 Each of :
• Business Identity Materials (Business Cards, Brochures)
• Pens, tape, etc.
• Power Cable
• 14ft + 5ft Cat5e Cables
• SATA Cable
• VGA->DVI Adapter
• HMDI Cable
• USB 2.0 Male->B Cable
• USB Mini Cable
• USB Micro Cable
• IPhone Cable
• Rosewill USB IDE/SATA HDD Adapter+Power
• USB Mouse
• Screen Cleaner
• RJ45 Crimp Tool
• Cable Cutter/Punchdown Tool
• 16GB USB Drive + Virus Removal Tools
• 54bit Ifixit Screwdriver Kit
• Misc Screws
• Scissors
• Xacto Knife
• RJ45/RJ11 Cable Tester
• CD/DVD Case + Software
• 500gb USB Mini Drive
• Electrical Spray Lubricant
• Compressed Air
• CD/DVDRW USB Drive
• DYMO Labelmaker 280 + Spare Tape

Anyways, I think I use most all of that on a daily basis. The crimp tools and punchdown come out less often, but that's not a huge weight saver... what do you guys have in your kit? Any bag recommendations more specifically geared towards tech use?

Hello, OP. When something breaks, I call the guy who carries all that garbage around to fix it, and he takes care of it for me. It's pretty cool.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Do so many of you really change out your kit depending on the job? I don't have time to sit around and do that poo poo - I just want a bag there that I can grab and know I'll be able to fix anything within reason. Sort of surprised by all the folks not carrying much - but I guess job descriptions for 'it tech' can vary pretty widely. Mine is definitely 'loving just make it work ASAP.' so

Citizen Tayne posted:

Hello, OP. When something breaks, I call the guy who carries all that garbage around to fix it, and he takes care of it for me. It's pretty cool.

awesome, this is awesome.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

USB Serial adapter
Cisco blue cable
rollover cable
rj-45 to db-9 adapter
ethernet cable
usb-ethernet adapter
thunderbolt-ethernet adapter
leatherman wave tool
flashlight
headlamp
ibuprofen
verizon mifi
write in rain notepad
pens
starbucks via instant coffee
aaa batteries
micro usb cable
mini usb cable
apple lightning cable
sharpie
measuring tape
usb wall charger
thumbdrive with various junos images on it
(laptop and first aid kit too)

This is the kit I take everywhere with me and it lets me do most anything my job calls for from most anywhere. Also I can usually help someone get their phone charging, which makes people happy.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Aquila posted:

USB Serial adapter
Cisco blue cable
rj-45 to db-9 adapter

Why not chuck the cisco console cable and just use the rj to db9 for console access?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Moey posted:

Why not chuck the cisco console cable and just use the rj to db9 for console access?

No real reason, though it is nice in some cases to have serial console cables hanging from multiple devices and just switch connections at the usb adapter. Also if there's a linux server running nearby it may have a serial port which I can use one of the cables on and then be consoled into two things at once. At any fixed operation (even my lab now) I install a http://www.digi.com/products/consoleservers/digicm

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

mindphlux posted:

Do so many of you really change out your kit depending on the job? I don't have time to sit around and do that poo poo - I just want a bag there that I can grab and know I'll be able to fix anything within reason. Sort of surprised by all the folks not carrying much - but I guess job descriptions for 'it tech' can vary pretty widely. Mine is definitely 'loving just make it work ASAP.' so

A molle backpack with some smaller labeled molle pouches was how I approached it back when I worked the field.

That and Klein tool zippered canvas bags.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Speaking of Serial consoles, has anyone tried those AirConsole adapters? Sounds like a neat idea, I'm just curious if they're good or junk?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does anyone make a PoE to USB port so I can charge my phone in comms rooms?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

TWBalls posted:

Speaking of Serial consoles, has anyone tried those AirConsole adapters? Sounds like a neat idea, I'm just curious if they're good or junk?
That company still alive? The pricing page says availability 30 June 2013.

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm not sure you want to trust on all PoE configurations: http://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-USB-Kit-Tablet-Remote-charger-Ethernet/dp/B00AH5XCLC

... https://www.vidabox.com/power-over-cat5-poe-like-chargers/vcharger-power-over-cat5-poe-like-usb-charger.html
http://www.snapav.com/p-1822-fsr-it-chrg-p2u.aspx
http://www.ipadenclosures.com/ipad_kiosk_enclosure/accessories/poe-to-usb-adapter-for-ipad

More than one, who knew? Seems to target kiosks.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 9, 2014

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Thanks Ants posted:

A quick Google search for POE to USB Charger shows that they do exist (this was the top hit) but I've never used them so I don't know if they're good or not.

MrMoo posted:

That company still alive? The pricing page says availability 30 June 2013.
Hmm... Good question. I may shoot 'em an email. I just checked Google Play and the last time the app was updated was Jan 24th 2014.

***edit***
beaten by MrMoo.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

TWBalls posted:

Hmm... Good question. I may shoot 'em an email. I just checked Google Play and the last time the app was updated was Jan 24th 2014.

Just checked the news tab, looks like they've been quiet for a while and now back to work with new software release.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Brainboxes make a nice Bluetooth to serial adapters, and the guys are perhaps the most helpful people in the history of peripherals.

Used them countless times on my Macs, not sure what the iPad support for that sort of device is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Ah, cool. I may go that route as I've at least heard of Brainboxes (everything I've heard have been positive as well). I originally wanted a WiFi based one as I figured that might be a bit more compatible with our equipment (Some of our laptops don't have bluetooth) but I figure if I'm going to be buying it for my own toolkit, that's not really a concern as my MBP does have bluetooth, so I should be fine. Thanks!

• Locked thread