Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Developer: Naughty Dog
Genre: Third Person Action Survival
Release Date: July 29 2014
Platform: Playstation 4
Price: $49.99

What is this?

The Last of Us: Remastered is a re-release of The Last of Us, which came out on Playstation 3 last year. It follows the story of Joel and Ellie as they wander the wastes of America after an event turned 60% of the inhabitants into zombies infected things. The game's combat is like a slower version of Uncharted and relies heavily on stealth and surprise to deal with the infected and human enemies. The game's weapons include pistols, rifles, and melee weapons. You can also craft bombs, traps, and Molotov cocktails to deal massive damage to multiple enemies.

The game has won a ton of GOTY awards and is my person favorite game on 2013. Thus, I will be double dipping on the PS4 version.

What does the PS4 version of the game offer?

Lots, including:
  • Native 1080p video output
  • Full 60 FPS gameplay
  • Improved textures, models, shadows, and lighting
  • Includes all of the PS3 DLC
  • A photo mode(similar to the one from Infamous:SS)

What DLC will it come with?

-The Left Behind: Single player DLC were you play through a prequel story as Ellie.
-Abandoned Territories: 4 additional multiplayer maps.
-Reclaimed Territories: 4 additional multiplayer maps.
-Grounded Mode: Adds an increased difficulty level. Grounded difficulty takes away the HUD, makes enemies smarter, and increases the damage they do.

*The weapons, skins, multiplayer skills and items packs that were included in the PS3 season pass version do not seem to be included in the PS4 rerelease*

A note on the weapons/skills/item packs from the season pass:

second-hand smegma posted:

The weapons/skills/items packs that were included in the Season Pass for PS3 owners are free downloads for PS4 owners of TLOU. If you did not have the season pass this content costs money. The DLC included on Remastered is limited to the 8 multiplayer maps they added.

So, Spectre, Potato Launcher, Enforcer, and Double Barrel are not free. Also, the Situational Survival Skills Bundle and Professional Survival Skills Bundle, as well as a bunch of different customization items packs were Season Pass content and cost money if you don't have the pass.

second-hand smegma posted:

The easiest way to get your stuff from the season pass:

Go to the PSN store on your computer, search for TLOU PS3, click "all add-ons", don't add the individual items to your cart but instead add the bundles that say FREE, there should be 5-6 of them (skills, weapons, and clothes bundles), once they are added to your cart go ahead and 'purchase' them, the balance should be $0.00. You can then check the download list and it should show both a PS3 version of the items and a PS4 version. No need to download them here, the PS4 automatically does that.

Anyways, all this stuff should now show up as 'purchased' in the 'Downloadables' section of the TLOU:Remastered main menu.

How is the multiplayer?

Fantastic. In fact, it is one of my favorite multiplayer modes in recent memory.

Instead of focusing on fast paced run and gunning, The Last of Us multiplayer is more about taking a slow and careful approach while playing as a team. Running off on your own will not only get you killed, but can severely cripple your team. This is a pure team based game and is a blast to play with some laid back goons.

Multiplayer includes a system called Factions. You first choose a side to fight on(Hunters vs. Fireflies) and then go on a campaign that lasts 12 weeks. Your priority is to keep your clan members healthy. This is achieved by winning matches and completing specific objectives. Your rewards for this are one-time consumable booster packs that increases your effectiveness in a match.

There are 3 multiplayer game modes:

Supply Raid - Each team starts out with 20 tickets. When a player dies, your team loses a ticket. The goal is to drop the enemy tickets to zero.
Survivor - Each player has 1 life. When they die, they can no longer respawn. The team that wins 4 rounds out of 7 wins the match.
Interrogation - Your team must find a lockbox by interrogating members of the opposite team.

Goon PSN IDs
Come play with us!

baquackobama (Peven Stan)
BoredAnd86ed (Less Talk More Rock)
Nastrado (Raged)
SpaceCowLTD (rabidsquid)
snackytongs (second-hand smegma)
Apache_Chief69 (Apache Chief)
Unclecaveman69 (Dr Geek)
DocPotterywood (Box of Frogs)
Sisselyn (Sefal)
CptFlaggermus (Womens Jeans) EUR
lblitzer (Lblitzer)
Monostat7 (NESguerilla)
Phorrum (Ularg)
RageBeef (RageBeef)
leidend (leidend)
Badlero (jabro)
El_Azul_Diablo (El Diablo Bob O)
weekdaynachos (Kilometers Davis)
Hamburlgar (Hamburlgar)
fateomcskippy (Fateo McMurray)
Harton84 (Brodie)
iamtehgreatest (NNick)
mrEkli (mrEkli)
Munkaboo (Munkaboo )
auspace (acksplode)
Spork-ography (HamSmoothie)

Screenshots

It's almost August. There are no games coming out. Destiny Beta is over. Who's going to double dip on The Last of Us with me?

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to be playing as soon as it ships to my door Tuesday. Feel free to add me on PSN: baquackobama

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
its me im the double dipper

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Double Dipping so hard I preordered this game the moment it was announced. Plus I don't even feel weird about preordering. It's The Last of Us, but better. Take my money.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

Double Dipping so hard I preordered this game the moment it was announced. Plus I don't even feel weird about preordering. It's The Last of Us, but better. Take my money.

Didn't think my viewpoint would be summed up so accurately already, but here it is! I don't often replay games but I'm playing this the day it comes out just so I can beat it again for the fifth time (and probably more). And the multiplayer is awesome too. Everyone with a PS4 should check this out.

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 28, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Tripple-dipping on this! Here's some stuff I posted about upcoming Factions DLC in the last thread.

--------------

Naughty Dog twitch stream talking about new weapons

And footage of ND playing in Financial Plaza, one of two new MP maps (the other being 'The Beach')

A few of the new wearable items:

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
So excited for this drat game.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
What channel is this show airing on again? Gotta set my DVR.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I'm kinda confused on the DLC situation. So they just announced they're considering releasing more DLC, right? Is the "Factions" stuff included in the PS4 release?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Liquid Penguins posted:

What channel is this show airing on again? Gotta set my DVR.

this is a video game you play with a controller on the sony playstation 4 computer entertainment system you fuckin idiot!

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm kinda confused on the DLC situation. So they just announced they're considering releasing more DLC, right? Is the "Factions" stuff included in the PS4 release?

Yes, some Naughty Dog dude on twitter said they were considering releasing more DLC for Last of Us because they feel this PS4 release will boost the popularity of the game.

Factions is what the multiplayer mode is called. You first pick which side you want to play on(Fireflies vs. Hunters). You then have to keep your clan healthy by gathering supplies. This is done by winning matches and doing specific objectives in a game. If your clan remains healthy you are rewards by one-time boost items like cheaper ammo for one match.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

Yes, some Naughty Dog dude on twitter said they were considering releasing more DLC for Last of Us because they feel this PS4 release will boost the popularity of the game.

Factions is what the multiplayer mode is called. You first pick which side you want to play on(Fireflies vs. Hunters). You then have to keep your clan healthy by gathering supplies. This is done by winning matches and doing specific objectives in a game. If your clan remains healthy you are rewards by one-time boost items like cheaper ammo for one match.

Oh, okay. Cool. So Remastered has all the DLC so far, but not necessarily the ones that might come out in the future?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How do I get all my old comsetic DLC from the season pass onto my ps4? Also do people play more survivors or other modes? I pretty much only play survivor. I really like the way only have 1 life affects the gameplay.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
One of my roommates might get a PS4, and I want to play this. I didn't play it on PS3- Should I start with Left Behind if it takes place before the game, or should I just do the campaign first?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Here's the article where they talk about it:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-last-of-us-will-get-more-dlc-but-only-for-mult/1100-6421194/

quote:

Word circulated earlier this week that Naughty Dog had plans to release more downloadable content for The Last of Us in 2014, fueling speculation that the game's story might be further expanded. The game's developer has now clarified it is indeed planning more DLC, but none of it will be for the single-player mode.

Speaking with Digital Spy, Naughty Dog community strategist Arne Meyer stated there are "definitely not" plans for any additional single-player add-ons. Back in February, Sony released the Left Behind DLC, a prequel story starring Ellie. No further continuation of the game's story has been announced; the upcoming PS4 release of The Last of Us Remastered will include Left Behind and all of the other available DLC, but doesn't take the story itself any further.

What we'll instead be getting in future DLC releases is more multiplayer content. "We just wanted to say when we released the Remastered version, we know there's a lot of DLC out there, and that we weren't going to stop supporting both the PS3 and PS4 versions," Meyer said. "We do have some DLC planned; it'll be multiplayer-focused. We're not ready to talk about the details yet, but throughout the rest of the year we'll have some DLC drops."

Past DLC releases have added things like cosmetic items, maps, weapons, and skills for multiplayer, and an additional difficulty mode for the single-player game. Any DLC you purchase on PS3 can be taken with you to Remastered on PS4 (and vice versa), but your multiplayer progress will not carry over from one version to the other.

For more on The Last of Us Remastered, which releases on July 29, check out our interview with Naughty Dog covering the significance of running at 60 frames per second, what's been changed and added, and more.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
I really wanted to like this game but I just couldn't get into it. I couldn't figure out the stealth mechanics as they seem really inconsistent to me. In one section the game wants me to stealth kill everything to get past but some of enemies always detect you no matter what so you have to stealth kill the non flagged enemies first and clumsily brawl with the rest after. In the following section you have to sneak past everything since a stealth kill results in detection and game over. It really got on my nerves and with life getting in the way at the time I put it away and never touched it again.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am getting this to give the game a second chance. I didn't get into it the first time. I only hope I did not spoil myself too much on the story (I don't know much specifics so I may be alright).

Now that I know the basics, should I play on hard?

Less Talk More Rock
May 8, 2007
Would you give it all up to live again?

Cheston posted:

One of my roommates might get a PS4, and I want to play this. I didn't play it on PS3- Should I start with Left Behind if it takes place before the game, or should I just do the campaign first?

Campaign first. The dlc isn't all prequel, so you'd get seriously spoiled on the story if you played it first.

I traded in my ps3 copy for this, so if anyone is up for mp, psn is BoredAnd86ed.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Double dipping HARD. Even after three playthroughs. Easily one of my favorite games I have played, and without a doubt best story ever.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I am double dipping. I am part of the problem.

Actually I don't feel too bad because I am trading the PS3 version in toward this and I am looking forward to tackling the Grounded difficulty. Isn't there supposed to be some cool in game commentary in this package too?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Unlucky7 posted:

I played it on hard difficulty during my first playthrough on PS3. It's not crazy hard and really sets up the setting and mood of the game in my opinion.

I'm really looking forward to this grounded mode as well. Apparently, it's suppose to be even harder than survivor+ difficulty.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Isn't there supposed to be some cool in game commentary in this package too?

Yes, there's suppose to be a making of documentary and commentary included in the package.

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 28, 2014

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I was torn for a while but I'm double-dipping too (although I don't have my PS3 copy anymore so it's not really double dipping :v:)

Looking forward to giving the multiplayer a shot and playing the DLC. I heard great things about both of them but never got around to trying them out.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah just to point out, the DLC is NOT entirely prequel. It takes place after a VERY SPOILERY MOMENT in the main plot.

If you start with the DLC to keep things timeline consistent, it'll spoil an entire ingame season for you. You should not do this, and honestly the OP should have this somewhere in bright flashing letters to make sure new adopters don't start with the DLC.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

I never had a PS3, but The Last of Us sorely tempted me despite it's being released at the end of the console generation. I was really pumped when the PS4 release was announced. Unfortunately I have to wait til Thursday to play.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Chronologically being before the main plot doesn't mean it's dramatically before anyway, gotta follow dat dramatic arc. Play it in the right order. The RIGHT order, dummy.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

360 was my horse, so I avoided all material about the PS3 exclusives - just so I didn't get sad that I was missing out on something. From what I heard, I was very clearly missing out on the Last of Us.

Got a PS4, with the hope that they'd remix it. And they did! I know nothing about this game, other than it is apparently fantastic. I'll...probably avoid the thread after saying "I've been waiting for this."

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Squiggle posted:

360 was my horse, so I avoided all material about the PS3 exclusives - just so I didn't get sad that I was missing out on something. From what I heard, I was very clearly missing out on the Last of Us.

Got a PS4, with the hope that they'd remix it. And they did! I know nothing about this game, other than it is apparently fantastic. I'll...probably avoid the thread after saying "I've been waiting for this."

Turns out Joel was dead the whole time. And it takes place in an old timey village during present day. There's a lady in the water. The aliens are weak against water. Plot twist joke.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Never played this on PS3 because like all the cool kids I had a ps4 and was busy playing AC4 and need for speed in next gen :smug:

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I am getting this to give the game a second chance. I didn't get into it the first time. I only hope I did not spoil myself too much on the story (I don't know much specifics so I may be alright).

Everyone should start on hard. Normal is easy and easy is basically cinema mode.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

bobby2times posted:

Everyone should start on hard. Normal is easy and easy is basically cinema mode.
What he said. Every difficulty but Grounded was fun to play for me and the harder difficulties definitely made the plot feel more real. Plus I was still able to hoard resources like Scrooge McDuck on every difficulty but Grounded anyway.

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 28, 2014

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Never played on PS3, pumped as hell for this on PS4.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Rookersh posted:

Yeah just to point out, the DLC is NOT entirely prequel. It takes place after a VERY SPOILERY MOMENT in the main plot.

If you start with the DLC to keep things timeline consistent, it'll spoil an entire ingame season for you. You should not do this, and honestly the OP should have this somewhere in bright flashing letters to make sure new adopters don't start with the DLC.

The game itself pops up a big fuckoff textbox with something like, "hey idiot don't play this if you haven't beat the main game yet."

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Still not going to play it because this game is flat and boring. Thank you.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Grump posted:

Still not going to play it because this game is flat and boring. Thank you.

much like your posting

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I'm excited. The single player was awesome and the only thing worth complaining about was the bad framerate in multiplayer. I think it's better if you skipped the PS3 version, the ancient hardware dragged it down a lot.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
This coming to pushed me to get a PS4 before I got an Xbox One. I never had a PS3 and have been dying to play this. Feel free to add me on PSN: Nastrado

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I thought the Remastered edition didn't let you play Left Behind until after you finished the story?

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Digital foundry is up. Says only dips below 60 in really hectic bits but they are not sing the day one patch so 30fps showed now improvement to shadows.

Cant wait to play this as im a 360 convert.

Bigsteve fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 28, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Having already bought and played through the game on PS3 last year, I didn't feel the need to buy the game again, but I did restart my GameFly account for it because I still want to play this version. I'm watching some video reviews now and it looks pretty incredible. It looked really great on PS3, too, but here it's just a vastly upscaled version of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Will I be able to download this late tonight?

• Locked thread