Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Ehhh I dunno if I'm gonna get this or not. Gamestop is having a deal where if you trade in the PS3 version you can get the PS4 version half off and that might tip me over. The game was fun enough but the amount of praise slathered upon it is kind of unwarranted. It's fun and the story is well acted but the actual gameplay part is pure Uncharted cover shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
What was the alt ending? Joel leaving Ellie with Marlene? or telling Ellie what happened? Or was it all just a dreaaaaaam?

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

What was the alt ending? Joel leaving Ellie with Marlene? or telling Ellie what happened? Or was it all just a dreaaaaaam?

It's the same exact ending except in song.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Download started. 42gb. When you start it asks you if you want to play SP or MP first, so it downloads that first and then the rest in the background

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Fateo McMurray posted:

Download started. 42gb. When you start it asks you if you want to play SP or MP first, so it downloads that first and then the rest in the background

how'd you manage to coax that into happening. mine just says purchased, including on the non pre-order page

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Damiya posted:

how'd you manage to coax that into happening. mine just says purchased, including on the non pre-order page

In the What's New area there was an ad for the game that opened a screen with a buy option. Added to cart (it was $0 because I had preordered) and checked out again. That started the download

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The original video of it is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8XN7eoZr0Y

Again, spoilers for the end of the game, but if you've already played it this is great. Like if you haven't played the game, remember to watch this, or at least remember to search for the alternate ending because it is amazing.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fateo McMurray posted:

If they're shown, What is the split on the file sizes for SP and MP?

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Yechezkel posted:

If they're shown, What is the split on the file sizes for SP and MP?

11gb for SP, so 31 for MP?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Damiya posted:

11gb for SP, so 31 for MP?

Well that 31 probably also includes later cutscenes and assets from SP that you won't get to before it finishes

But I have no idea

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for checking.

Holy Cheese posted:

Oh boo, doesn't come out in England until August. Apparently timezones are still a factor when it comes to digital downloads.

It's not that. Retail releases are released on Fridays in UK and I guess Sony has to release the download versions on the same day to avoid pissing off those retailers.

Laughing Man posted:

There is only one European version unfortunately, so it is censored everywhere that gets that region.

There are actually 2 versions in Europe, I think the only differences are language support. One version is in UK, Ireland, Poland, Russia and Ukraine. The other version is for the rest of EU region. *updated*

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 29, 2014

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Download is up!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

1080p/60fps owns bones

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Looke posted:

The live show was fantastic, makes me want to start playing it again

It was great. Troy Baker is the perfect human being :allears:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
This might be hard to believe, but I'm not looking to start a fight. However..

I thought the Last of Us kinda blew. What was it that was supposed to make it so good? The internet being what it is, it's hard to get anything other then hyperbolic vitrol or praise. I found practically nothing particularly likable about the game, but I'm genuinely curious as to why people liked what they did. I just don't see why TLOU is getting a next gen update so soon when there's so many more deserving games out there that DIDN'T just come out.

Or maybe the hyperbolic praise/vitrol isn't hyperbolic at all and I just have unusually mild opinions on this one. v:v:v

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Anatharon posted:

This might be hard to believe, but I'm not looking to start a fight. However..

I thought the Last of Us kinda blew. What was it that was supposed to make it so good? The internet being what it is, it's hard to get anything other then hyperbolic vitrol or praise. I found practically nothing particularly likable about the game, but I'm genuinely curious as to why people liked what they did. I just don't see why TLOU is getting a next gen update so soon when there's so many more deserving games out there that DIDN'T just come out.

Or maybe the hyperbolic praise/vitrol isn't hyperbolic at all and I just have unusually mild opinions on this one. v:v:v

Not trying to dis you or anything...but why would you come into the rerelease thread to vent? Did you post this opinion in the PS3 thread and nobody responded?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

second-hand smegma posted:

Not trying to dis you or anything...but why would you come into the rerelease thread to vent? Did you post this opinion in the PS3 thread and nobody responded?

Pretty much.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Anatharon posted:

Pretty much.

Sorry, dude. I know what that's like...but this thread might not be ready for deep spoiler talk. I'd gladly discuss it in the PS3 thread, or wait a few days until people have got their hands on it.

In the mean time, may I refer you to James Howell's "dissertation" that discusses the things people refer to when they say the game is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNoslgGRRhA

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Yechezkel posted:

There are actually 2 versions in Europe, I think the only differences are language support. One version is in UK, Ireland, Poland, Russia and Ukraine. The other version is for the rest of EU region. *updated*

You are right about the languages. Games in the UK are usually about 20-40% cheaper than mainland Europe, so they take out some languages from the UK version to keep people from importing cheaper. All EU versions are censored though, it is NOT Germany only! You must get from US PSN if you want uncensored.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
This game is beautiful.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Oh man I forgot how Joel uses the environment in his melee takedowns. :black101:

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Post photo mode screenshots assholes :argh:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fateo McMurray posted:

Oh man I forgot how Joel uses the environment in his melee takedowns. :black101:

Contextual animation in this game kind of ruined all of the canned animations in AC4 for me. Joel felt way more agile than Assassin Guy Whose Name I Forgot

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

This video is twenty minutes long, and there are apparently fifteen of them. Holy poo poo.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fateo McMurray posted:

While awesome, they sometimes do become a bit fiddly, when Joel teleports himself and the poor sucker he is beating on to the nearest wall.

Xarion
Oct 30, 2007
What did sub-commander Kusovai do wrong?
Once the game is unlocked here in Australia I will be playing multiplayer a lot. Xarion_Rodriguez is my PSN, I'll always have a mic.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

This video is twenty minutes long, and there are apparently fifteen of them. Holy poo poo.

Trust me when I say they get longer.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Sucks that that EU version is censored, but I went ahead and ordered this. Never owned the game on ps3, played bits and pieces on a friends copy. He adores the multiplayer, and whilst i'm a run and gun kind of fellow perhaps I shall take to it as well.

This guy has some gameplay. Looks pretty good, not stunning (my opinion!) but looks pretty damned good. Then again this is on youtube and not a 1080p TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9sCkkow7UQ

Looking forward to it!

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
^^ Also note that youtube is capped at 30 FPS, so the real thing looks a lot smoother.

It shows in a subtle way that it's just an updated version of an older generation game, but it's still stunning. 60 FPS makes a huge difference and comparing between the two modes in a shadow heavy scene, I couldn't tell exactly how 30 FPS is different. Other than it looks and feels like garbage after you've experienced the glory of 60 FPS.

Metanaut fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 29, 2014

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...
For those of you looking to push the download during work, I just got an update from PSN when I turned on my PS4. Make sure to accept it before you leave home if you want to download it remotely.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Laughing Man posted:

For those of you looking to push the download during work, I just got an update from PSN when I turned on my PS4. Make sure to accept it before you leave home if you want to download it remotely.

Yeah 1.75 is up. But the game itself is up too so you should be able to update and then star the download before work.

The game lets you pick single player or multiplayer so those with slower connections might have one finished before they get off work.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Brightman posted:

The original video of it is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8XN7eoZr0Y

Again, spoilers for the end of the game, but if you've already played it this is great. Like if you haven't played the game, remember to watch this, or at least remember to search for the alternate ending because it is amazing.

Ahahaha! Now I'll be constantly singing "DIIIIIIIIIIEEEE!" next time I play through this.

I don't even know why I spoilered that :haw:

Anatharon posted:

Pretty much.

I went in knowing almost nothing about it and it just blew me away in every aspect.
Like, none of the gameplay was really new or tried to have some "groundbreaking" gimmick to it, instead every single element of the gameplay was just absolutely nailed . The controls, the movement, the shooting, everything just felt perfect to me. On top of that I really felt it had the best characters, acting and dialogue I'd ever seen in a game.
I can honestly say with no hyperbole that it's probably the best game I've ever played, and I felt like that from the first few minutes of the game, through all my subsequent playthroughs. It just all clicked together perfectly to me.

Also goddamn that soundtrack is good.

e] I mean that probably looks like exactly the kind of hyperbole you were describing, but :drat: man, game is good.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Got it downloaded and installed within an hour or so. However my DLC isn't appearing as being purchased, probably due to the UK only getting the game Friday and my US account not having PS+ or the DLC. Time will tell, but if I have to buy it again I certainly will!

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

So glad they did that live show a day before it came out, been spoiled on the ending to the game like 3 times from game 'news' sites reporting on it and quickly losing interest :(

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If there was one thing about the PS4 game that turned me off, it's that Tess and Marlene constantly nod or shake their head in every single scene they are in. Once you see it..

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Equilibrium posted:

Post photo mode screenshots assholes :argh:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Tide posted:

If there was one thing about the PS4 game that turned me off, it's that Tess and Marlene constantly nod or shake their head in every single scene they are in. Once you see it..

Well they are just women who are agreeing with what the man is saying!!!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

StabMasterArson posted:

So glad they did that live show a day before it came out, been spoiled on the ending to the game like 3 times from game 'news' sites reporting on it and quickly losing interest :(

Knowing the ending doesn't ruin the experience.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
On second though, never mind. Discussion of the ending seems like dangerous ground at this point.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I love the idea of photo mode, but it exposes some pretty wacky stuff about the game. When you're (opening spoilers) running through town with your daughter in your arms she's supposed to be really scared and you can't pan the camera around to see the characters' faces. In photomode, however, you totally can and she looks like she's stoned out of her mind! :v:

• Locked thread