Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
loving nubians stealing the white egyptian man's jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

drat, really makes you think

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Gaunab posted:

what if white people were created in the devil's image

White people made Iggy Azalea a thing. I think it's more likely than not.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I don't get this craze of weird bible films coming out at the moment. America is a weird place

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

concerned mom posted:

I don't get this craze of weird bible films coming out at the moment. America is a weird place

fiction based on christian poo poo can be fun if it's not too heavy handed, like that show the x files guy made with lance henriksen

e: uh not that this film is an example of not being heavy handed

Torka fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 28, 2014

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
I really really don't like Israel and here's why ...

In Genesis 32, Jacob, son of Isaac, is happily sitting on his arse doing nothing when along comes God, who he wrestles with. Now I dunno about you but against God ... I mean he's like Hulk Hogan X 1,000,000,000,000 ...

THEN God renames him Israel ...

I mean, if the Holy Land was called Jacob it'd have been a whole different story

quote:

22 So the present passed over before him; and he himself lodged that night in the camp.
23 And he rose up that night, and took his two wives, and his two handmaids, and his eleven children, and passed over the ford of the Jabbok.
24 And he took them, and sent them over the stream, and sent over that which he had.
25 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
26 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was strained, as he wrestled with him.
27 And he said: 'Let me go, for the day breaketh.' And he said: 'I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.'
28 And he said unto him: 'What is thy name?' And he said: 'Jacob.'
29 And he said: 'Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel; for thou hast striven with God and with men, and hast prevailed.'

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

just a reminder that this is the guy playing rhamses

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Palpek posted:

just a reminder that this is the guy playing rhamses

Ramses had that skin disorder Michael Jackson had

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

since the egyptians of the biblical era are way post ptolemaic wouldn't they have been all white and hellenized and not literally nubian?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Fandyien posted:

since the egyptians of the biblical era are way post ptolemaic wouldn't they have been all white and hellenized and not literally nubian?

The story takes place like a thousand years before Alexander the Great.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Miltank posted:

The story takes place like a thousand years before Alexander the Great.

oh its not about the jesus part of the bible?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fandyien posted:

way pre-hellenic, you mean. this is supposed to be like thousands of years before alexander the great.

also theories that say taht certain people were like white or black before or whatever and they changed because of something, are almost always wrong and stupid.

take the greeks for instance, pictured as the perfect fathers of western civilization by western europeans, then people in the 19th century, once racism came up an running, sort of found out that greeks were kind of brown, too brown, and plato, aristotle and leonidas had to have been white people, so the greeks must have been changed by turks and arabs or something.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Fandyien posted:

oh its not about the jesus part of the bible?

nah its from the old testament

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

kinda interested to see how cool modern special effects can make the red sea parting

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Randarkman posted:

way pre-hellenic, you mean. this is supposed to be like thousands of years before alexander the great.

also theories that say taht certain people were like white or black before or whatever and they changed because of something, are almost always wrong and stupid.

take the greeks for instance, pictured as the perfect fathers of western civilization by western europeans, then people in the 19th century, once racism came up an running, sort of found out that greeks were kind of brown, too brown, and plato, aristotle and leonidas had to have been white people, so the greeks must have been changed by turks and arabs or something.

yeah i mostly meant that in the sense of "whiter than dudes from sudan". greeks be dusky as gently caress by modern standards

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fandyien posted:

yeah i mostly meant that in the sense of "whiter than dudes from sudan".

they'd probably look like egyptians

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

egypt is cool though and wasn't the pharaoh pretty much the good guy in the sense that the kingdom of judea went on to genocide a bunch of people while egypt did not? the caananites or whatever? I'm not up on my biblical narratives

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
gonna go out on a limb and say that the ancient egyptians looked the same as modern egyptians - you know, their descendants

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fandyien posted:

egypt is cool though and wasn't the pharaoh pretty much the good guy in the sense that the kingdom of judea went on to genocide a bunch of people while egypt did not? the caananites or whatever? I'm not up on my biblical narratives

i don't think they genocide the caananites, they subjugate them and take their land, and i think many of them eventually become jews (also think samaritanism was more popular in the more caananite north). they definitely genocide the midianites though, some nomadic tribe, which if i recall correctly are the people who take moses in while he's in the desert, and also his wife might have been midian.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

rudatron posted:

gonna go out on a limb and say that the ancient egyptians looked the same as modern egyptians - you know, their descendants

egypt got arabized, son

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
people that turn to religion are people who live in lovely places, flyover country mostly. They got nothing better to than use a book to make up reasons for people to get together and do poo poo because their lives are so much more boring otherwise.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

What? A film made by white people, targeted to white people as the primary audience stars white people despite a lack of historical accuracy? A shocker! wowzers! Surely no other movie studios in other countries do this!!!!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fandyien posted:

egypt got arabized, son

culturally yes. there weren't nearly enough arab settlers to make more than a tiny bump in the egyptan gene pool. and before that egypt was hellenized, and nubianized, and you had the sea people invasion even before that and the kushites.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Randarkman posted:

culturally yes. there weren't nearly enough arab settlers to make more than a tiny bump in the egyptan gene pool. and before that egypt was hellenized, and nubianized, and you had the sea people invasion even before that and the kushites.

interesting, i had always heard that the arab invasions profoundly changed the demography of egypt, do you have any good links? i'm just curious

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Torka posted:

fiction based on christian poo poo can be fun if it's not too heavy handed, like that show the x files guy made with lance henriksen

e: uh not that this film is an example of not being heavy handed

i enjoyed Noah because it was batshit crazy, i think all modern bible movies should just say gently caress it and treat the protagonists like psychopaths and throw in a bunch of weird fantasy poo poo because its entertaining as hell

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fandyien posted:

interesting, i had always heard that the arab invasions profoundly changed the demography of egypt, do you have any good links? i'm just curious

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_history_of_Egypt posted:

Egypt has experienced several invasions during its history. However, these do not seem to account for more than about 10% overall of current Egyptians ancestry when the DNA evidence of the ancient mitochondrial DNA and modern Y chromosomes is considered.

In general, various DNA studies have found that the gene frequencies of modern North African populations are intermediate between those of the Horn of Africa and Eurasia,[17] though possessing a greater genetic affinity with the populations of Eurasia than they do with Africa.[3][3][4] The present population of the Sahara is Caucasoid in the extreme north, with a fairly gradual increase of Negroid component as one goes south.[6][18][19] The results of these genetic studies is consistent with the historical record, which records significant bidirectional contact between Egypt and Nubia, and the Levant/Middle East within the last few thousand years, but with general population continuity from the Early Dynastic Period of Egypt up to the modern day era.[20][21]
Ethnic cleansing and racial genocide is a recent phenomena, when most ancient countries are invaded the vast majority of the population stays put. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, etc.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

lol who the gently caress wanna watch a movie about the bible

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

i'd rather watch anime

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

rudatron posted:

Ethnic cleansing and racial genocide is a recent phenomena, when most ancient countries are invaded the vast majority of the population stays put. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, etc.

neat

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

God is Redguard

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Talos is not a divine ban this sick filth

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
exodus is a boring loving story just like every other story the bible, at least greeks could make their religion interesting

plot is way to predictable, would not read again

rudatron fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 28, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fandyien posted:

i don't really have much specific in the way of links, beyond suggesting reading some books on early islamic history perhaps? there's also the fact that egypt has and always had a much larger population than the arabian peninsula. also that the islamic invasions weren't as much as a migratory movement as many people think, relatively few arabs left and the majority of these set themselves up as miltary elites or were part of later (centuries later) migrations of bedouin tribes (and these more often settled the frontier regions to the west and south, rather than heavily populated areas), both of whom did not necessarily mingle much with the population at large.

arabization and islamization were also very slow processes in the middle east, both islam and the arabic language had not penetrated much outside of the large cities and their environs. the majority of the population of egypt and syria is thought to have remained christian and coptic/syriac speaking all the way up till the 12th or 13th centuries, possibly even longer for egypt whcih still has its coptic minority who are genetically pretty much identical to the muslim egyptians.

bunch of mpore stuff to look at, obviously, but in general arabization, not just in egypt, was primarily a cultural rather than a 'racial' thing.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

rudatron posted:

exodus is a boring loving story just like every other story the bible, at least greeks could make their religion interesting

plot is way to predictable, would not read again

the OT seems generally far less coherent and more difficult to read than the NT

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I thought ancient Egypt was supposed to be full of people who looked like modern day arabs and jews and poo poo, but instead we got everything but arabs and jews in this film.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

JerryLee posted:

Ibrahim Fagge

LMAO hell of name on that guy, he should name his son "Ima"

get it? say it out loud goons "IMA FAGGE"

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Randarkman posted:

i don't really have much specific in the way of links, beyond suggesting reading some books on early islamic history perhaps? there's also the fact that egypt has and always had a much larger population than the arabian peninsula. also that the islamic invasions weren't as much as a migratory movement as many people think, relatively few arabs left and the majority of these set themselves up as miltary elites or were part of later (centuries later) migrations of bedouin tribes (and these more often settled the frontier regions to the west and south, rather than heavily populated areas), both of whom did not necessarily mingle much with the population at large.

arabization and islamization were also very slow processes in the middle east, both islam and the arabic language had not penetrated much outside of the large cities and their environs. the majority of the population of egypt and syria is thought to have remained christian and coptic/syriac speaking all the way up till the 12th or 13th centuries, possibly even longer for egypt whcih still has its coptic minority who are genetically pretty much identical to the muslim egyptians.

bunch of mpore stuff to look at, obviously, but in general arabization, not just in egypt, was primarily a cultural rather than a 'racial' thing.

interesting, thanks. i've taken classes on 16th-19th century ottoman history but never anything earlier. im signed for a class on this poo poo next semester though so it should be pretty interesting and i'll be able to get a grasp on this stuff

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
white people can't stand not being the center of history

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

If we gave the blacks Nick Fury we'd get Ramses, it's all part of the deal!

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVv

Iggy Azalea, I don't think it was a good deal though.

Boinks fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Wha did you get for giving them the POTUS

• Locked thread