Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Anime Device posted:

People are real excited to use this controller for the new Smash. Real excited.

same reason grandma has a tape cassette answering machine from the 70s

it works. it's fine. I know where all the buttons are. why do I need some fancy new controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Everything works. Everything is fine. What are you going on about?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

None of the other controllers ITT have a giant A button with the bxy buttons placed around it in a semicircle. And that really is the greatest feature

surc
Aug 17, 2004

zen death robot posted:

I'm gonna guess you thought the Duke was a reasonably sized controller.

Yeah it was pretty solid, finally let me stop clenching my fingers up so much to hold controllers.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
wii u pro controller all day every day

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
the octagonal gate on the left stick was annoying, and the c stick sucked.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
The shoulder buttons couldn't handle my sick nasty wave dashing skills. U could say they got smashed

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

surc posted:

Realtalk, I cannot hold any dualshock controller in a comfortable manner. I am pretty sure I am a freak, because I have been assured it is insanely comfortable, but it cramps my hand like no other. Also, I really really really really *really* hate the bumper setup. No good reason, I just can't stand it. Xbox 360 feels like I'm just curving my hands naturally.

The DS4 has much more natural grips and is not a pain in the rear end to hold. Pretty clear they designed it for FPS/Western gamers since Japan doesn't buy consoles anymore

DLTN posted:

who owned one of these babies

I had one for PC and played FPS games with it. I was a moron as a kid/teen/adult.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Synonamess Botch posted:

the octagonal gate on the left stick was annoying, and the c stick sucked.

I wish the DS3/DS4 had the octogonal gate on their analogs.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
I just love the big fat green A button in the middle of the Gamecube controller's right side. Like a big flashing sign to developers that "THIS IS THE DO A THING BUTTON. WHATEVER THE MOST COMMON/IMPORTANT ACTION IN YOUR GAME IS, ASSIGN IT TO THIS BUTTON"

So of course the makers of the Mega Man Collection assign "shoot" to it :downs:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I like the r2/l2 on the ds2. Never liked the ds3 flippers

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Action Tortoise posted:

more like slippers,

because your fingers slip off

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
they had to release a special version of cvs2 for gamecube with shortcuts for all the moves on the cstick because of how weird the button layout is

consequently any charge character is broke as poo poo

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

How does Imp Zone feel about light gun controllers?

I enjoyed my Lunar Rocking Gun greatly way back when

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

mabels big day posted:

None of the other controllers ITT have a giant A button with the bxy buttons placed around it in a semicircle. And that really is the greatest feature

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Action Tortoise posted:

DS2 > ds3. Did the ds4 bring it back

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Anime Device posted:

People are real excited to use this controller for the new Smash. Real excited.

uh heck yeah

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

i mean i guess if you asked i would be pretty excited to play any game with the gamecube controller

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The gamecube is just a good system, cool design, good games, good durability, and a good controller. Literally everything about the Gamecube exudes excellence and I wouldn't expect the controller to be any different.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Buschmaki posted:

The gamecube is just a good system, cool design, good games, good durability, and a good controller. Literally everything about the Gamecube exudes excellence and I wouldn't expect the controller to be any different.

The GC laser was pretty much garbage though.

The games were also pretty weak going by exclusives. Sunshine is still the weakest of all non-New Super Mario bros. Mario games even compared to 3d World and galaxy 1 and 2.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

The games were also pretty weak going by exclusives.

is someone making a list of extremely hosed up things the taint reaper says? holy poo poo!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

bef posted:

DS2 > ds3. Did the ds4 bring it back

they scoop inward now like triggers. at least your fingers don't slip off.

ds24lyfe

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

mabels big day posted:

is someone making a list of extremely hosed up things the taint reaper says? holy poo poo!

Windwaker needed a quest structure overhaul which was what the HD version did.

Sunshine never elevated above mediocrity and the Rare platformers were still better than it.

4 Swords should not have been a full priced game, especially considering you needed 4 Gameboys and 4 link cables

All the pokemon games for the Gamecube were awful and somehow worse than Stadium

Double Dash had a pretty half assed battle mode and was not as well rounded as Mk64 or even Diddy Kong Racing.

Luigi's mansion was a pretty weird game, and to this day I am still unsure if I like it or just think it's average.

Was Twilight Princess good or bad? The world may never know because this is the eternal argument among Zeldaphiles.

Dk Junglebeat games were not tedious like Dk64, but they were not a series of amazing solid games like Donkey Kong Country 1,2, and 3.

I think the only gamecube first party games I can say that I really liked were Thousand year Door, Smash bros. and the two metroids. Those generally felt like updated and improved sequels to their n64 counterparts.(except Metroid because Metroid was absent)

The point is the N64 owned the living poo poo out of the Gamecube and the Cube was a shameful successor who disgraced it's family etc.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 30, 2014

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING

Other good Gamecube exclusives:
Pikmin 2
Cubivore
Viewtiful Joe and RE4 before Capcom decided they wanted more money and ported them
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door deserves another mention because seriously
Whichever Mary-o sports games you like best Strikers
I'm a big nerd who likes Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
F-Zero GX
Kirby's Air Ride
Rogue Squadron 2, motherfucker
PSO3 probably sucked but I think it's really funny that they made PSO into a card game

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
pso3 is really weird. it's worth playing. i don't know if it's good. i played it and i can't say.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
gamecube controller would be perfect if it wasn't for that tiny annoying z button that everything always had to use ever

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i was used to clicking in the sticks and gamecube never did that. threw me off all the time.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

SNES controllers make an epic creaking noise.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DoubleDonut posted:

THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING

TIER
MANTOROK
ARETAK
PARGON
PARGON
PARGON
PARGON

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Once again denied the internet celebrity status he knows he deserves, The Taint Reaper swipes his hand across his desk, knocking off the assorted clutter of fast food wrappers and gameinformer issues. "Those fools!" He shouts, "Don't they know hilarity when they see it?"
Driven to the desperate edge of madness over forums-reknown, The Taint Reaper hunches over his keyboard. His eyes stare at the monitor, glinting with a terrible light. He knows what he has to do. He will begin a series of posts so terrible every person will revile them. None shall ever agree. Then, at the appropriate moment, he will release a list of all of those terrible opinions at once. As the plan comes together, he throws his head back and begins to laugh. They will know his name. Oh yes. They will know his name.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

surc posted:

Once again denied the internet celebrity status he knows he deserves, The Taint Reaper swipes his hand across his desk, knocking off the assorted clutter of fast food wrappers and gameinformer issues. "Those fools!" He shouts, "Don't they know hilarity when they see it?"
Driven to the desperate edge of madness over forums-reknown, The Taint Reaper hunches over his keyboard. His eyes stare at the monitor, glinting with a terrible light. He knows what he has to do. He will begin a series of posts so terrible every person will revile them. None shall ever agree. Then, at the appropriate moment, he will release a list of all of those terrible opinions at once. As the plan comes together, he throws his head back and begins to laugh. They will know his name. Oh yes. They will know his name.

Woah woah woah. Why would I want something as stupid and fleeting as internet celebrity status?

The Gamecube was pretty much a struggling console throughout it's entire existence. This isn't an opinion it's a fact. It sold less than both the N64 before it and the Wii after it. As did all of it's software. The games reflected that too because you would have months and months of nothing and then they'd release a Mario spinoff. And a ton of them just were not really good spinoffs. I mean Mario party became some sort of an abomination that was not associated with quality.

Strikers was good and the Wii Sequel was better but you had a ton of them just never got out of mediocre game territory.

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

what the gently caress am i reading

Dec 26, 2012

DLTN posted:

what the gently caress am i reading

your taint is getting reaped with knowledge

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
There's polls, graphs, and poo poo going up all over the internet about Nintendo or some other studio possibly buying out Capcom since they failed to renew their hostile takeover thing. Which means they could be going THQ and selling their poo poo off.

The fools and their dreams...

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I just remembered how I used to play Phantasy Star Online on the gamecube with a gamecube to PS2 adapter and some janky 3rd party controller. It all struck a great balance

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

The Taint Reaper posted:

The GC laser was pretty much garbage though.

The games were also pretty weak going by exclusives. Sunshine is still the weakest of all non-New Super Mario bros. Mario games even compared to 3d World and galaxy 1 and 2.

I woke up this morning and saw this. Please never disrespect the Gamecube or Super Mario Sunshine again with your bad opinions tia.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Like, I thought I was going to have a good day but this person disparaging the gamecube is getting me pissed.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
speaking of you getting triggered, I don't like how "clicky" the GC's triggers are.

That's just an opinion/preference though. No hate for the cube

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
xbox 360 for stuff like racing and 3rd person melee games like monster hunter
ds4 for street fighting and platformers

unrelated but I tried using the DS4 for risk of rain yesterday and it seems that the way the game maps the d-pad don't allow for diagonals. If you press up and left at the same time it doesn't do anything for example. LOL CHUCKLEFIST IS FULL OF loving FAIL LOL. They are a bit hacky aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I've seen some people being wrong about the d-pad on the last page so I'll try to enlighten you. If you play a fighting game long enough with both input methods, d-pad and analog stick it will be immediately obvious to you that the d-pad is much better overall and that alone shows already that it has some advantages over the stick, at least in that particular use. I would say that charging characters like Vega are much easier to be played on the d-pad, since their special moves are easier to perform, and while I feel like hadoukens and shouryukens are slightly better on the analog most of the other common moves are still better on the d-pad.
Double tapping on a direction to dash is a move that I'll say make it the most obvious that the d-pad have some advantages over the analog.
Also, while I'll agree that you should probably use a arcade stick to play fighting games, it doesn't defeat my point that the d-pad have advantages. I'll go as far as to say that any time you don't actually need analog input you'll be better with a d-pad.

I think all of this is because of the travel distance needed by the analog, also the lack of precision when you just want to point to 180 degree, not 180.42343 or 179.98384783 (making the character jump), that gets in the way in some scenarios.

program666 fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 30, 2014

• Locked thread