Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Internet Explorer posted:

At least you had a spare switch I guess?

A lot of times cheaper than having it on a support contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

skipdogg posted:

AD SME with a large corporation here

What we look for is deep understanding of how AD works. It's not hard to use AD, manage users, groups, GPO's, things like that. We have a team of 11 Senior level "engineers" managing our extremely busy and heavily used AD environment most of us have north of 15 years experience. We run into things at our scale that most folks don't have to worry about.

Interview questions usually revolve around explaining the various FSMO roles and their importance. How things like RID pools work, troubleshooting replication issues, what happens if a domain controller dies and can't be demoted properly. Some of the guys on my team do some trivia style questions. I prefer open ended questions about any sort of odd issues with AD they ever ran into. Things like Kerberos double hop, Kerberos token size limitation, troubleshooting high load, powershell automation, etc.

Our interviews are actually pretty short. 30 to 45 minutes for the technical part, just want to get a feel for someone that knows what they're talking about and has a deeper level of understanding about AD than most. That's plenty of time for us to sus out if someone knows their poo poo or not. No one is going to walk in the door and hit the ground running, so we worry about foundational knowledge more than anything. They're going to have to learn the way we do things here anyway.

Good post, I almost completely forgot about AuthN issues but I haven't touched that in years.

Personally, I'm angling for a standard or Senior IAM Engineer position with Entra ID. Not sure you if you are anyone works in that world but I think I'm pretty well versed with the platform but goddamn sometimes senior engineers blow my head off with their knowledge of SAML or OIDC but I don't get how they know these things without extensive experience.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Gucci Loafers posted:

Good post, I almost completely forgot about AuthN issues but I haven't touched that in years.

Personally, I'm angling for a standard or Senior IAM Engineer position with Entra ID. Not sure you if you are anyone works in that world but I think I'm pretty well versed with the platform but goddamn sometimes senior engineers blow my head off with their knowledge of SAML or OIDC but I don't get how they know these things without extensive experience.

So it's like that Farmers' Insurance commercial. "We know a thing or two, because we've seen a thing or two". You just run into weird poo poo over the years, or crazy edge cases, stuff like that you pick up along your career.

This is going to sound crazy, but I don't actually manage the data inside our AD environment. Our IAM Teams handle that. We just make sure the domain controllers are healthy, maintained and running properly. It kinda sucks because I'm 3 years removed from dealing with Entra ID, and other Modern Auth stuff that I used to do at my last company. I try to stay up to speed on my own, but being pigeonholed supporting a legacy service like Active Directory probably isn't the best career move and I need to start looking at moving to a full time role in a modern IAM or Auth stack. They keep talking about wanting to move away from AD, but haven't come up with a solution for the thousands of apps we support that use LDAP or Kerberos. Any given minute of the day the pool of LDAP dc's are servicing 8,000 + queries a second. I'll retire in 22 years before we ever get rid of AD.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 13, 2024

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

It's cool when people enable things like BPDU guard but don't set a timer for turning the port back on, you end up with a 48 port switch where people assume 30 of the ports are dead.
code:
errdisable detect cause all
errdisable recovery cause all
errdisable recovery interval 30
In every switch always. I like letting people be able to fix their own poo poo when they do something foolish without having to escalate it to get a guy to shut/no shut the port.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GreenNight posted:

We buy 2960x by the pallet. They're about 300 dollars each lol. MTBF is still higher on 2960x refurbs than it is on cat 9200 or 9300s.

Works perfectly fine for random campus access junk that's not super critical, like if i need 20 cameras hooked up, or some random field devices that don't stop primary process. For the critical stuff everything new gets Arista for MSS and VXLAN/BGP evpn. Yes, even at the campus level (manufacturing control systems). Layer 2 is the enemy and VXLAN is the light.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 15, 2024

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

guppy posted:

Any CLI is confusing if you aren't used to it, but Cisco's is decent and not all that confusing. It gets annoying when they have separate platforms (IOS, IOS-XE, IOS-XR, NX-OS...), which tend to be similar in syntax but different in important ways, and I despise their documentation. But generally it is perfectly fine, and nearly everyone who does networking knows their way around it because it's such a standard.

Cisco's lack of integration of their acquisitions is a real problem. Tiny fiefdoms is exactly right, working with some of that stuff is just nightmarish. Did you know there's at least one company whose primary product is a thing to make administering Call Manager less of a pain in the rear end?

If you haven't looked at it before, Arista EOS is the same on every piece of hardware, super similar to Cisco CLI, and very happily/easily integrates with your IaC management platform of choice.

If I connect into a datacenter switch with hundreds of logical ports, the syntax and commands are identical to the 12 port PoE guy we threw into a dirty cabinet. All that's different is the hardware capacity and feature capability, which is limited on lower tier hardware simply due to the lack of cpu/mem or whatever.

It's just better.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have recommendations for online CS degrees? I've been back in college a couple months planning on going for MechE because I figured any BS degree would be good enough to get by the HR filter, but being unemployed for 5.5 months now has me anxious about this ever happening again when my living expenses aren't super low and I don't have reliable part-time employment to keep me afloat. I'll probably look into whichever I plan on applying to in order to see what transfer credits work, it seems like some programs want normal math classes and then some want specialized math classes and I am not taking any version of calc 2 again if I pass it this semester.

I don't want to do the WGU self-paced thing because once I get a full-time IT position again I'll be back to working 60-ish hours per week and I'm not going to be able to dedicate enough time to school to do full time or more than full time course load, so I'm paying more rather than less.

I'm also not looking to become a proper dev, really the biggest things I'd want to get out of it are more SRE stuff, scripting, IAC, config management, CI/CD, but so many job listings specifically say computer science that I want it to either say computer science or something so close to it that a HR drone will think "Oh that's the same thing."

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Probably any in-state school would be fine. Colorado State and University of Colorado both have online computer science degrees. Are you at either one of those already?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I, uh, might owe CSU roughly $7k from the last time I was there. Long story. I'm also planning on moving out of the state in a couple years so the in-state tuition wouldn't be a thing at that point.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

GreenNight posted:

That was literally what we did at my old job, skip the support contract, get two for nearly the same price. If something failed at a remote site, we'd just pull the config for the old device off Oxidized, drop it on the new device, and overnight it out. They failed so rarely that we rarely needed to replace the same model more than once, at least for the switches and routers.

Now the ASAs on the other hand we had nothing but problems with. We had a whole generation of them get hit with the clock failure that permeated some of the older models and we had like 5 fail one after the other over the course of two weeks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I know why they do it, but it’s still frustrating that vendors won’t let you pay them to get software support on hardware that you bought used. I can understand not wanting to deal with RMAs of bad hardware that might have been mistreated, but I should be able to pick up Arista switches that someone is getting rid of and be able to legitimately access the software images for them, and go to Arista for support.

Every vendor that does this will have some mission statement on their website about their commitment to the environment as well.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
As it turns out just randomly replacing a switch with a different model at 5pm on a Friday has resulted in a flurry of tickets 9am Monday. So far it looks like it's DNS because of course it is, but my boss is driving into the office to restart the switches. I offered to do it remotely since I now have the password to do so, but she just ignored my email afaict.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"What do you mean the VLANs have to match??"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

"What do you mean the VLANs have to match??"

Yuuuuuup.

tokin; consider grabbing CatTools to backup switch configs.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Do NOT bother grabbing CowTools though. It's entirely incomprehensible.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I was assured on Friday that the switches had "no special configurations set," since how else could we have moved around patch cables?

Anyway it's very evident my boss does not know networking, which is adding to an array nearly overflowing already.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Switch had 48 trunk ports configured and no access ports. Or it was never configured to begin with.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

GreenNight posted:

Yuuuuuup.

tokin; consider grabbing CatTools to backup switch configs.

Oxidized was always my go to. It was primarily a web interface, but it integrated into Observium / LibreNMS so you could pull configs in your main observation pane and have it all in one place.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

This is the place where I'm not supposed to have installed an ad blocker, my boss isn't going to approve anything :(

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm in my 40s and still flabbergasted people like that exist.

And have jobs.

And authority.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

This is the place where I'm not supposed to have installed an ad blocker, my boss isn't going to approve anything :(

I can give you the commands to do show the running config and you can copy and paste into notepad.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

GreenNight posted:

I can give you the commands to do show the running config and you can copy and paste into notepad.

This is real G poo poo right here

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

tokin opposition posted:

In my new job I'm fighting my boss to be able to have permission to install Keepass XC. His argument begins and ends with "password managers bad" and completely glosses over the objectively worse reality of everything just being written in sticky notes in folders in his desk. He also blocks my request for mRemoteNG because he doesn't understand why I'd want a management pane for RDP when I've consistently been bouncing between servers all working day.

This may very well be the job that fully drives me insane.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 15, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

But you see the reason productivity is down because you young'uns don't want to come into the office :bahgawd:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Thanks Ants posted:

But you see the reason productivity is down because you young'uns don't want to come into the office :bahgawd:

Unironically kind of this. My bosses fundamental theory of IT operations and security seems to have calcified around the year 2005 and he has not thought to update or even examine why things probably ought to change.

Edit: he blocked my request for RSAT tools and powertoys, even though it's literally Microsoft first party based on the justification of "well I never heard about it". Then hard denys it again when power toys lead to Microsoft's github repro because "nothing good comes from github".

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 15, 2024

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

GreenNight posted:

Thanks for the offer, but at this point I've given up trying to do things right, I'm just here for a paycheck and doing DEI stuff since at least there I don't need permission to do things right

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

DeathSandwich posted:

Unironically kind of this. My bosses fundamental theory of IT operations and security seems to have calcified around the year 2005 and he has not thought to update or even examine why things probably ought to change.

Edit: he blocked my request for RSAT tools and powertoys, even though it's literally Microsoft first party based on the justification of "well I never heard about it". Then hard denys it again when power toys lead to Microsoft's github repro because "nothing good comes from github".

Our bosses may have been separated at birth. My only suggestion is to act your wage and just check out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Alright nerds how thick of plywood do you need to mount a 12U rack cabinet to a concrete basement wall

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

18mm, space it away from the wall slightly with timber battens. I guess that's 3/4 inch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

18mm, space it away from the wall slightly with timber battens. I guess that's 3/4 inch.

Appreciate. I already got a buddy with one of those 22 bolt guns.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Spacing it off the wall is mainly to let air get behind if your basement walls get damp at all rather than rotting the wood. If this area is dry all the time then don't worry about that part.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah it's pretty dry all the time. It's right next to a whole home dehumidier vent.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Assuming you're in America, we seem to all be oscillating between so dry everything burns to so wet everything floods. So plan your rack to deal with both.

I don't know how much plywood you need to withstand a tornado though. Probably a lot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

xzzy posted:

Assuming you're in America, we seem to all be oscillating between so dry everything burns to so wet everything floods. So plan your rack to deal with both.

I don't know how much plywood you need to withstand a tornado though. Probably a lot.

Midwest, yes. If a tornado takes out my house I'm not worried about my rack. But my plex :cry:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks Ants posted:

I have a coworker who loves the office. Goes there every day from 8 to 6. Doesn’t mind a 2h single trip commute.

Understands that not everyone wants to work at the office but doesn’t understand why they don’t. Always mentions “I overheard x, y and z at the watercooler because I was at the office! Working from there has so many benefits!”.

I pointed out that the commute, 5 people next to you constantly having noisy meetings, bad coffee, constant distractions, suboptimal lighting/window shutters and worse screens/chair than I have at home don’t really offset hearing about information that’ll come to me through mail or teams.

Also, I can’t take my pets to work, which is probably the best reason to wfh.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

4 hours travelling to do an 8 hour day :gonk:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks Ants posted:

4 hours travelling to do an 8 hour day :gonk:

And being happy to do so on top of it. Absolutely bonkers.

I only understand it if you’re trying to fasttrack moving up the corporate ladder and/or not having friends, family, hobbies and a social life.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

LochNessMonster posted:

I have a coworker who loves the office. Goes there every day from 8 to 6. Doesn’t mind a 2h single trip commute.

Understands that not everyone wants to work at the office but doesn’t understand why they don’t. Always mentions “I overheard x, y and z at the watercooler because I was at the office! Working from there has so many benefits!”.

I pointed out that the commute, 5 people next to you constantly having noisy meetings, bad coffee, constant distractions, suboptimal lighting/window shutters and worse screens/chair than I have at home don’t really offset hearing about information that’ll come to me through mail or teams.

Also, I can’t take my pets to work, which is probably the best reason to wfh.

See, I'm one of those office mutants because I need the work / life separation. If I have to set up to work from home there is no getting away from the stress. It probably doesn't help that I love in a one bedroom and home office means "set up on dining table". If I had a 2br where I could lock the accursed work gear away when it's not in use it wouldn't be as bad probably.

I feel like my home apartment is filled with way more distractions in part because of the cat being the cat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't mind being in an office and I do miss some of it. If I could have the good parts of an office environment and zero commute I'd do it.

But there will always be a commute and if I'm not getting paid for that time.. gently caress off. I'm WFH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I’d ride a bike for maybe 15 minutes to get to an office I was expected to be at regularly but I’m just not interested in throwing 90 minutes of my life away every day to sit in a room with other people who are also working on things with others in different parts of the world.