Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Tab8715 posted:

Midrange talk aside, I got a quick resume question. I've almost been in IT almost a decade, should I put every IT job I've ever had or just the last three? I can't fit everything on one-page anymore :ohdear:

Unlike most think, a resume doesn't have to be a journal of everything you've ever done. Look at it as the "what's going to get me my next job" and in doing so, feel free to go to 2-4 pages, but assume that no one is going to look past the first page. Make that your heavy hitter and ensure that all the skills you want to utilize in your next job are well-articulated on that first page.

Also, skip the objective, no one wants to read about what YOU want, they care about who you are and what you bring to the table. A good summary followed by your most recent experience is ideal. If you have some really good certs, consider putting them at the top right next to your name. ex. Dark Helmut, PMP, CCNP

Definitely have a skills section, which doubles as a keyword repository so us recruiters can find it.

That's the short version of my resume 101...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I just turned 25 and have been with my current company (first IT job) for a little over three years. My official job title is IT Manager but since it's a two man team I do pretty much everything from Tier 1 support to Server Admin. What I want to do is network but after we got bought our parent company insists on using their MSP for everything network related; pretty much locking me out. I mean I don't even have access to the content filter or any of the switches, not even to look at the configs.

Based on my last review they want to see me "grow as a manager" which in my eyes is pretty bullshit since I've made it clear I want to do more on the network side. I enjoy project management it but that has been taken out of my hands as well since our parent company has everything done their way. I mean I had a full proposal for our new network ready to go and then it got taken out of my hands completely and with no warning. The irony of it is that most places "require" a minimum of 5 years experience and I can't get proper network experience since the Network Engineer is based in NY and we're a company in Maryland (yup, we have no local network support past me dealing with the physical side and no monitoring system) and they don't seem to keen on me learning from him.

And since I work in the TV industry everything is affecting production. All the time. And do I get on call pay or OT? gently caress no.

I think it's time for me to buckle down and get my CCNA. I know OS X pretty drat well but that puts me in a super niche position and I feel that the network side of things will allow me to branch out and find out what I really want to do. Also I find it super interesting.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dark Helmut posted:

Unlike most think, a resume doesn't have to be a journal of everything you've ever done. Look at it as the "what's going to get me my next job" and in doing so, feel free to go to 2-4 pages, but assume that no one is going to look past the first page. Make that your heavy hitter and ensure that all the skills you want to utilize in your next job are well-articulated on that first page.

Also, skip the objective, no one wants to read about what YOU want, they care about who you are and what you bring to the table. A good summary followed by your most recent experience is ideal. If you have some really good certs, consider putting them at the top right next to your name. ex. Dark Helmut, PMP, CCNP

Definitely have a skills section, which doubles as a keyword repository so us recruiters can find it.

That's the short version of my resume 101...
Whether present on the paper or not, an objective is always implied to be "to get the job I am currently applying for."

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:yotj:
Escaped the hell desk and moved into telecom. It's in the same company, and it's work they already had me doing since January. With the change from hourly, where I'd been doing 5hrs OT each week for extra loot, to salary, I think I end up with an extra $30 per check. BUT I get to leave at 5pm and enjoy the beginning of rush hour in NYC. Also like 12 more vacation days. Woo!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Anyone ever use DigiCert? Our ManagedPKI from Verisign is getting way too expensive.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Now, at my current position half of my duties are IBM Power / IBMi focused. There are literally thousand of applications for tons of industries written in COBOL/RPG that just are more economic to maintain rather than migrate to Linux/x86. Maybe in the future IBMi will become depreciated but it's going to be around for a while...
Coming out of banking, I think their core platform will be "whatever can talk to Hogan and whatever Hogan runs on". Just not worth the effort. Their current push is implementing a teletype-looking interface in a web browser talking to J2EE running on Tomcat on Linux, which ultimately talks to the mainframe. Software changes, workflow doesn't.

Tab8715 posted:

I know that IBM is aggressively positioning Power to take on the Linux market. All the major vendors are on-board Red Hat, Canonical, Novell, etc but software developers are still hesitant. While many big corporations refuse to leave HP-UX/Intel Itanium eventually they're going to have too and there only options are migrate to Linux/x86, x86/Windows(lol) SUN-SPARC or IBM Power. Guess which two are cheaper?
IBM contributes a lot of code and hardware for POWER. Many of the KVM/POWER developers and a ton of the code coems out of IBM. When you say "major vendors are on-board", we're on-board insofar as it's "patches accepted -- your customers want to run Linux and you're putting most of the legwork into keeping Linux current on your hardware". IBM's a strategic partner and all that, and I really like what they do, but we're gunning for ARM harder than POWER.

Tab8715 posted:

I can't say if IBM's plan will work out but supposedly Power offers higher VM density vs x86 and a plethora things like hot-swappable PCI-Express Slot, RAM Memory Compression and I can't remember the term off-hand but there's feature where if a bank of memory or processor fails it'll immediately switch over to another bank or proc... Does this even exist in x86 land? Lastly, the only thing I hate about IBM is if you need to learn mainframe you're paying some education partner several thousand dollars for training, you can't go to a bookstore and study in your free time like you can for your MCSA/VCP/RHCSA...
Unless I'm really mistaken, PCIe is hot pluggable everywhere. Higher VM density really depends (*PARs on AIX can get higher density, but the underpinnings of KVM are basically the same across platforms). It's higher density in the sense that newer POWER stuff is beefy as hell and has a ton of memory, and their virt extensions are a bit better. Dynamic bus repair is pretty hot, though I'm less sold on the memory expansion. I'd love to see it take off, but price, price, price is always POWER's problem.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Misogynist posted:

Whether present on the paper or not, an objective is always implied to be "to get the job I am currently applying for."

Exactly, it's one of those things that isn't going to help you, and if targeted wrong can hurt you.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evol262 posted:

IBM's a strategic partner and all that, and I really like what they do, but we're gunning for ARM harder than POWER.

Can you even purchase ARM hardware or even let alone download a ARM Distribution? I'm hoping you'll link me to something :)

evol262 posted:

Unless I'm really mistaken, PCIe is hot pluggable everywhere. Higher VM density really depends (*PARs on AIX can get higher density, but the underpinnings of KVM are basically the same across platforms). It's higher density in the sense that newer POWER stuff is beefy as hell and has a ton of memory, and their virt extensions are a bit better. Dynamic bus repair is pretty hot, though I'm less sold on the memory expansion. I'd love to see it take off, but price, price, price is always POWER's problem.

The only circumstance where memory compression is worthwhile is when you've got more than a terabyte but it's not really useful for anyone else but I'd agree POWER isn't cheap but IBM is investing...

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Can you even purchase ARM hardware or even let alone download a ARM Distribution? I'm hoping you'll link me to something :)
I'll let you infer from public links, plus AMD's aarch64 announcement yesterday.

See also, Richard W.M. Jones' blog.

The Olinuxino and Cubietruck are probably your best bets to play (<$100, SATA and KVM supported, Cubietruck also has eMMC and comes with serial and everything else you'd need). Fedora runs natively on both, along with probably Arch, Debian, and others. No aarch64 stuff I can point you at, but it's coming.

Tab8715 posted:

The only circumstance where memory compression is worthwhile is when you've got more than a terabyte but it's not really useful for anyone else but I'd agree POWER isn't cheap but IBM is investing...
OpenPOWER is super hot if it goes anywhere...

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

rock2much posted:

:yotj:
Escaped the hell desk and moved into telecom. It's in the same company, and it's work they already had me doing since January. With the change from hourly, where I'd been doing 5hrs OT each week for extra loot, to salary, I think I end up with an extra $30 per check. BUT I get to leave at 5pm and enjoy the beginning of rush hour in NYC. Also like 12 more vacation days. Woo!

Hell yeah! :cheers:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

The Olinuxino and Cubietruck are probably your best bets to play (<$100, SATA and KVM supported, Cubietruck also has eMMC and comes with serial and everything else you'd need). Fedora runs natively on both, along with probably Arch, Debian, and others. No aarch64 stuff I can point you at, but it's coming.

How come all the hardware comes in physical boards and not a complete unit? Or is that much in it's infancy?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

How come all the hardware comes in physical boards and not a complete unit? Or is that much in it's infancy?

ARM server kit is just happening.

Years ago, there was the guruplug (and a devkit with dvi/VGA and a case and whatnot). But the board+PSU+serial pretty much is the complete unit for a lot of ARM for now...

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
I'm out, did nearly 5 years in the corporate world and looking forward to being a sysadmin for the public school system. Here's to 40 hour work weeks, chilled out summers, and ample vacation time. 2014 best yotj :yotj:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 6, 2016

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
In MA public schools, tech directors make 90-120k, network/sysadmins make 60-80k, and techs make 40k. But you're part of the pension/benefits program and get snow days so it's okay :)

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 2, 2014

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Yep, it's right in the middle of 60-80k for the sysadmin job. More than I was making in corporate, which is one reason I left. Pension/benefits are great, but there are certainly higher paying positions out there. Tech director would be a pretty nice career I think, depending on the city.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 1, 2019

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So I went to the third interview for a junior network admin/helpdesk position. It went well. I was at the gas station afterwards and noticed that the seam in my pants around my rear end was ripped, so, I was hanging out of said pants. I don't know when it happened or whether it happened during the interview... :bang:

high six fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 3, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

high six posted:

So I went to the third interview for a junior network admin/helpdesk position. It went well. I was at the gas station afterwards and noticed that the seam in my pants around my rear end was ripped, so, I was hanging out of said pants. I don't know when it happened or whether it happened during the interview... :bang:

Okay I laughed pretty hard at this.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

high six posted:

Haha. Man, this is one of those times you just have to laugh at yourself and the universe in general. It's out of your hands either way, so you might as well try and appreciate the absurdity of the situation.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
This thread totally dies every weekend when we're not talking about extracurricular activities or having drunken breakdowns.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 3, 2014

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

Haha. Man, this is one of those times you just have to laugh at yourself and the universe in general. It's out of your hands either way, so you might as well try and appreciate the absurdity of the situation.

Yeah. So I went to Waffle House later that night to load up on unhealthy food to get over it.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Chickenwalker posted:

Any recommendations for CCNA study materials?

There's an entire playlist here someone made for the CCNA, the results of a kickstarter that happened awhile back. Good start if you don't have the money for books. For books themselves, the best choice is Lammle's newest book on the matter. He covers the topics pretty well without being totally dry about it.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Tab8715 posted:

Midrange talk aside, I got a quick resume question. I've almost been in IT almost a decade, should I put every IT job I've ever had or just the last three? I can't fit everything on one-page anymore :ohdear:

Pretty sure the 1 page rule only applies when you're just starting out looking for work or have only been in the industry for a few years. I've been explicitly told by recruiters / hiring managers to start using 2-3 pages now after being in the industry for 8 years. At this stage of your career it's probably worth removing the Call Centre / Helpdesk roles if you've had any, otherwise maybe start joining multiple jobs you've had in the one company into the same section?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

hanyolo posted:

Pretty sure the 1 page rule only applies when you're just starting out looking for work or have only been in the industry for a few years. I've been explicitly told by recruiters / hiring managers to start using 2-3 pages now after being in the industry for 8 years. At this stage of your career it's probably worth removing the Call Centre / Helpdesk roles if you've had any, otherwise maybe start joining multiple jobs you've had in the one company into the same section?

My CV is still one page, and I'd still recommend "one page" (just the stuff that's relevant and that you care about) to everyone. It's amusing in some ways to see a CV with a list of skills and say "so, JumpStart, I haven't used that in about 5 years". Neither had he. None of his most recent jobs included Solaris at all. Why is this on your CV? Keep it cogent.

I've removed old jobs with skills I don't want to advertise (.net Dev, AD admin, etc), and I don't have a "skills" section because I pretty much figure out what my skills are from my work experience, we're not a fit anyway.

It's 5-6 project bullet points per job, header at the top, education at the bottom, as many jobs as I can fit on one page (3-4, generally).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Next question, when they ask about expected salary should I give a number? My first thought is to say something along the lines of "negotiable but my target is X."

Note, this is pre-interview.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 4, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

This thread totally dies every weekend when we're not talking about extracurricular activities or having drunken breakdowns.

I think it's better that way.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Tab8715 posted:

Next question, when they ask about expected salary should I give a number? My first thought is to say something along the lines of "negotiable but my target is X."

CTRL+F page 1 yields 23 results for "salary"

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I think it's better that way.

I king of like it :) At least I was more productive with general household stuff this weekend (new thread title is appropriate)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
I know the thread is always "OMG DON'T BRING UP A NUMBER" but recently when I've been pressed by the recruiter, I've basically replied "Well, positions like this usually start at X; however I'd like to talk to the hiring manager about responsibilities so that we can come up with a range that's fair to both of us." It's saved me some time by ruling out companies that aren't even willing to pay the market rate (I'm looking at you, Boeing).

Although if it's a job that they're contacting me about unsolicited, I tell them exactly what I'm making and spit out a high-ball number. For two of the positions I was contacted about last week, it's worked.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
^^^ best custom title ever ^^^ (DAF)

Tab8715 posted:

Assuming this is with an end client, I think it depends on your situation. Contrary to the typical hardcore stance of this thread, sometimes you just NEED a job and don't want to risk a good one by going overboard playing salary hardball.

There are a million different variables that go into this and there is no one answer that fits every situation. Knowing nothing else, I might look at what other companies in your market pay for similar roles and start the answer that way. "In looking at the market, I've noticed that this type of position typically pays around x. I don't want a number to stand in the way of a great opportunity, so I'm flexible to an extent, but looking to be compensated fairly."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there any use at all for local storage on a VMware box if you have a SAN?

We have an HP server with 6x300GB and 2x72GB drives. We're using a Dell SAN for our VMware storage so there's nothing on the disks. One of the 300GB drives died the other day, and the server is out of warranty so it's not going to get replaced? Just pull the rest of the drives or what?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm being put in charge of three things soon-- Verismic (power management software), Symantec Endpoint AV Server, and the university Firewall. I don't know a single thing about our firewall setup, but has anyone here used Verismic or SAV? Any thoughts/comments?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

My go to line is "I like to consider the entire compensation package including cash, benefits, time off, and bonus opportunities".... if that doesn't work I give them a really high number that I would want if the job had lovely benefits, lovely PTO schedule, and no bonus opportunity.

Maybe I'm strange but at this point in my life my overall cash compensation is less important than the other parts of the compensation package. I much rather work a 70K a year job where I get 3 or 4 weeks of vacation and have a really nice low deductible PPO than make 80K a year with 1 week vacation and lovely insurance.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Dark Helmut posted:

^^^ best custom title ever ^^^ (DAF)

Assuming this is with an end client, I think it depends on your situation. Contrary to the typical hardcore stance of this thread, sometimes you just NEED a job and don't want to risk a good one by going overboard playing salary hardball.

There are a million different variables that go into this and there is no one answer that fits every situation. Knowing nothing else, I might look at what other companies in your market pay for similar roles and start the answer that way. "In looking at the market, I've noticed that this type of position typically pays around x. I don't want a number to stand in the way of a great opportunity, so I'm flexible to an extent, but looking to be compensated fairly."

I'm curious. As a recruiter, does it bother you when people talk this way? Are you ever thinking "yeah okay :jerkbag:" as if they're assuming you're just going to try to lowball them and haven't done their research?

I mean, I'm sure you guys know the low and high end of the spectrum, probably even more exact that we can gather from glassdoor or whatever. I would almost feel like the guy who watched one episode of Cosmos and is now going to an astronomy convention telling them all that I know more than they do. Am I just totally wrong here?

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

CloFan posted:

I'm being put in charge of three things soon-- Verismic (power management software), Symantec Endpoint AV Server, and the university Firewall. I don't know a single thing about our firewall setup, but has anyone here used Verismic or SAV? Any thoughts/comments?

Assuming it hasn't changed much since I used it, SAV is pretty easy to pick up. You can create custom packages and push them out to computers on a network, saves a lot of time over manual installs.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'm curious. As a recruiter, does it bother you when people talk this way? Are you ever thinking "yeah okay :jerkbag:" as if they're assuming you're just going to try to lowball them and haven't done their research?

I mean, I'm sure you guys know the low and high end of the spectrum, probably even more exact that we can gather from glassdoor or whatever. I would almost feel like the guy who watched one episode of Cosmos and is now going to an astronomy convention telling them all that I know more than they do. Am I just totally wrong here?

There is just no substitute for a good, honest conversation about why you are looking to leave (or why you left/don't have a job) and what it's going to take to put you into a new opportunity. It does me no good to place you in a role only to have you leave in 3 months when someone offers you a couple thousand more.

Honestly the people that play ultra-hardball with me are few and far between, maybe 1 out of 100. Mostly because I recruit locally for the most part, but also because I start every conversation by expressing an interest in "helping you with your search" rather than the stereotypical "I have a Network Engineer role I'm trying to fill with xyz company and I want to send them your resume"...

I don't want to bore you all with recruiter talk, but I do think it's important for you all to tell the difference between good recruiters and the mercenaries out there.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I give an "irrespective of anything else I will not take less than $X" to every recruiter that calls me because otherwise I'd have a couple of hours out of every day wasted listening to a pitch for a job that won't pay me anywhere near what I'm asking. You're not locked in to a number just because you mentioned it once on a phone call. You can change your demands as you get further into the interview process and learn more about the responsibilities involved, the benefits, how stable the company is, etc...but you can't get the time back that you wasted talking to someone about a job only to find out that their ceiling is half of what you currently make.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dark Helmut posted:

I don't want to bore you all with recruiter talk, but I do think it's important for you all to tell the difference between good recruiters and the mercenaries out there.

What area are you located in, if you don't mind sharing?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Moey posted:

What area are you located in, if you don't mind sharing?

Central VA, and although I work with a medium-sized agency with a national footprint, 90% of my business is local. Shoot me a PM if you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dark Helmut posted:

I might be in the minority, but seeing as how most of my jobs for the last 5 years or so have been contract positions, I honestly think I would prefer some recruiter talk. We all know IT, but for some of us our experience with recruiters is either non-existent or drat little, and we view them with about as much enthusiasm as encountering pond scum in the pool.

I want to know how to find a good recruiter, what questions to ask, which questions are okay to answer, and pretty much anything else I would need to know in order to get the most out of dealing with a recruiter. Primarily, I want to know when I'm dealing with some bullshit artist who's feeding me a line and when I'm dealing with a real professional who knows their poo poo.