Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

loving politics.

edit; damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Gonna respec into SRE and ride the gravy train until I make CTO

Being a useless idiot nobody likes has clearly worked well for a lot of people

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Had a little convo with HR about my interview. Normally HR convos make me very nervous, but in this case I had nothing really to lose. The upshot is a number of qualified people are not passing through this interview process and they are going to 'review' the situation.

Not that this does me a fat load of good.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cimber posted:

Had a little convo with HR about my interview. Normally HR convos make me very nervous, but in this case I had nothing really to lose. The upshot is a number of qualified people are not passing through this interview process and they are going to 'review' the situation.

Not that this does me a fat load of good.

Sounds similar to teaching. If one person fails your class, that person has the issue. If everyone fails your class, well, there's probably not that high of a dumbass concentration...

Or like meeting an rear end in a top hat vs everyone you meet being an rear end in a top hat

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GreenNight posted:

loving politics.

edit; damnit

Honestly it was so surreal to be told by your manager that you're being let go because there isn't a need for your skills and then everybody that hears about it and then reaches out to me is like "this is so confusing, you're so valuable and helpful and crucial to so much of what we're working on".

Like,, speaking of politics. IT Leadership initiated a disastrous reorganization that did not take into account the structure or needs of the overall organization. But even on the imagined needs, they couldn't figure out how to deliver. On their own terms they couldn't deliver success, and any attempt to improve on how we delivered their vision was met with resistance.

Honestly, getting fired is one of the greatest things that's ever happened to me. I found a new job where I got a huge pay raise and my contributions are highly valued. It's such a complete 180 for me, I get whiplash sometimes from all the praise I get.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I have a 2 weeks notice and a gently caress you 0 weeks notice stored on my phone so i can send it in ASAP

If my manager decides to force me out of the DEI work I'm quitting

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I kept a printed out resignation in my desk drawer for like 2 years after my old company got acquired, only needed a date and signature. Management knew about it, too :v:

Looking back, my only regret is that I didn't bounce from $shitjob earlier than I did.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My employer, who is now bankrupt, did the whole interview for your own jobs thing. It did not go well for them, and this is when they were solvent.

If your whole team is no longer qualified to do their jobs, well, how can you do your jobs?

Soon AI MBAs will make this all the norm of course

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thanks Ants posted:

Same. We were already reconsidering our Avaya partnership at the end of 2019 because their roadmap looked appalling and they had decided that their :yaycloud: offering was to discontinue the average but working product hosted on Google Cloud and force everybody to move to RingCentral and pay partners a one-off rebate. I'm not a big 8x8 fan any more but in 2020 being able to move thousands of users to it and handle everything completed remotely probably made the difference between us just closing up shop and being able to keep going.

We used Ring Central in the interim, and it was tolerable, but, yeah.

Cimber posted:

Very much so. Outside guy, never dealt with him before, he's convinced upper managers that SRE! is the way to go, only he is capable of leading this concept within the firm.

"So, what is it that you do here?"

I got word that others in my team have also failed.

Yep, that’s the scene.
Hmm, of multiple people are failing the test, maybe it’s the test that’s the problem, hmmmm?
You know, like the aphorism about if everyone you meet is an rear end in a top hat…

E: f, b

tokin opposition posted:

Sounds like a plan. I mean, obviously someone has to do it.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Darchangel posted:

Hmm, of multiple people are failing the test, maybe it’s the test that’s the problem, hmmmm?
You know, like the aphorism about if everyone you meet is an rear end in a top hat…

Unless everyone failing is a feature instead of a bug. "Well, clearly the team that has supported you the past 10 years in inept and needs to be replaced with younger, more modern SRE staff (read: cheaper)".

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cimber posted:

Unless everyone failing is a feature instead of a bug. "Well, clearly the team that has supported you the past 10 years in inept and needs to be replaced with younger, more modern SRE staff (read: cheaper)".

they’re absolutely trying to make sure everyone fails, and insult to injury the new fancy SREs probably aren’t even cheaper either! This all seems like a not so sneaky way of laying off your team post acquisition rather than acquiring your talents unfortunately.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wibla posted:

I kept a printed out resignation in my desk drawer for like 2 years after my old company got acquired, only needed a date and signature. Management knew about it, too :v:

Looking back, my only regret is that I didn't bounce from $shitjob earlier than I did.

"You're going to shoot resign yourself"

FISHMANPET posted:

Honestly it was so surreal to be told by your manager that you're being let go because there isn't a need for your skills and then everybody that hears about it and then reaches out to me is like "this is so confusing, you're so valuable and helpful and crucial to so much of what we're working on".

Like,, speaking of politics. IT Leadership initiated a disastrous reorganization that did not take into account the structure or needs of the overall organization. But even on the imagined needs, they couldn't figure out how to deliver. On their own terms they couldn't deliver success, and any attempt to improve on how we delivered their vision was met with resistance.

When I quit the worst job I've ever had because they graded tech pay against criteria like "how many people do you manage?" and "do you work nights?" and told me I was above the rate for that role, my manager didn't even bother to tell anybody I was leaving. People were trying to book stuff in on new projects they wanted to kick off and I was like "no I'm not here next week" "oh it can wait until you get back" "...."

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 30, 2024

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Because I'd been at my job for 14 years I actually got a year long notice that I was being fired. So they immediately revoked my access from my role on the team but I was still employed (in theory they'd find me grunt work to annoy me into quitting, in reality they didn't assign me anything and I just got paid to job hunt). I always had people reaching out to me for help, and that continued. I had to ask my boss repeatedly to tell people I was let go because people kept asking me things that they should have been going to my team for.

It was a very unique situation. Normally when someone's appointment is non-renewed, first of all they haven't been there for 14 years so the notice period isn't so long. Also they're not usually very valuable so nobody really notices when they disappear. And nobody announces anything about it, they just let the employee slip away silently. But I actually had other managers announce to their teams that I had been let go so they would know to no longer work with me, because I was in fact so knowledgeable and valuable.

I'm pretty sure my boss didn't like me because I made her look bad with my competence, and she genuinely thought that nobody else liked me either, and that she would be celebrated as a great leader for getting rid of me. Instead I was greatly beloved at many levels, and I suspect she faced quite a bit of backlash for firing me. It's funny that in the four months I worked there after I was fired, my manager and I spoke for like a total of 15 minutes (including talking about how I'd drop off my equipment with her when I actually left) because I was just a constant reminder of how badly she'd hosed up. So I never got any work assigned to me because she just didn't want to even think about me or find something for me to do.

Holy poo poo that place got bad. My career there was on an upward trajectory, with me becoming a team lead. Then COVID hit and I basically lost my team to attrition and a hiring freeze. Then our dumbass director did a dumbass SAFe reorg that had no real place for me. Then my previous manager who has been my champion left. I should have known like 2 years earlier to get out. But I was forced out finally, and it's one of the greatest things that's ever happened to me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ziasquinn posted:

use it as your main machine without a backup for a year

you will learn a TON

I did this and learned that Windows Server is vastly superior :agesilaus:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I slept really well last night!

Ok, that's a lie. I slept like poo poo, waking up in the middle of the night and having arguments in my head between my self and my interviewer. rear end in a top hat.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Back in 2009 I started asking new hires if they wanted a desk phone, or to forward a company number to their cell. In 2 more years there, nobody wanted a desk phone. At my current job, I was issued a desk phone in 2014. I changed roles and cubes in 2018 and never plugged the drat thing in again. It's been at least two years since anyone called that number.

We got a security ticket a few months ago because a devs desk phone rang. I envisioned him sitting frozen in is chair, like a bunny confronted with a rattlesnake, waiting for the bad noise to stop before contacting the Information Security team.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Why... why contact security?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

digitalist posted:

Why... why contact security?

Did you not read the ticket?!? His. Phone. Rang! What was he supposed to do? Ignore it?? What if it was communists? Or a girl?!?

Edit: for real though. I brought this up in my 1x1 with my boss as an example of why I’m climbing the walls and am desperate for more interesting and meaningful work. In the meantime I guess I’ll keep trying to lab and stack up certs until someone goes “why is he still a L1 SOC with a CISSP?!?”

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Honestly, getting fired is one of the greatest things that's ever happened to me. I found a new job where I got a huge pay raise and my contributions are highly valued. It's such a complete 180 for me, I get whiplash sometimes from all the praise I get.

It’s incredibly rear end backwards. If you’re changing a role definition and taking highly skilled people and sticking them in there, and you identify a gap of knowledge, maybe something that didn’t even matter until now (like SDLC trivia) uhh maybe just make everybody go do a certification instead of being an rear end in a top hat?

Unless it’s just an excuse to reduce headcount in which case assholes will be assholes.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It’s great to have a manager that tells you how great you are, how valuable you’ve been, how much you made everyone look good and then when you tell them you’re leaving they make no attempt whatsoever to retain you. Actually every job I had in my old career field was like that, which sucks because if times were hard I’d still go back to it knowing I’d always be underpaid for the work I do.

Apparently my director has been out in Utah for a month and things are a shitshow there with my manager about to head there too. Kinda hoping I don’t get roped into it, I lived there for over four years and left for a reason

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Doesn't that just mean the manager respects your decision? It's one thing if you speak frankly to them about an opportunity before it's official or before putting in notice, but if you tell me you've accepted another offer I'm not going to try to counter, generally. Of course every situation is different.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I’d feel less respected if my manager countered and pulled like a 20% raise out of nowhere which they hadn’t manage to produce up to that point, than if they wished me well and said they’d be a reference for the future upon hearing that I’d resigned.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I dunno I feel like if they really valued me in the organization they’d try to do something to keep me there. I told them I wanted back in IT and they seemed like they either wanted me running power supplies or standards but not anywhere else in the company

I do see the point that if I’m out in a couple weeks then a manager knows it’s probably not worth their time to try and keep me that late in the game

Hotel Kpro fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 31, 2024

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

navyjack posted:

Did you not read the ticket?!? His. Phone. Rang! What was he supposed to do? Ignore it?? What if it was communists? Or a girl?!?

If it was both, I have plat, she can dm me

New job starts Monday and I'm so excited. Feeling all sorts of almost trauma towards my contact centre time, I was impressed at a bunch of minor stuff when I went to sign on Friday. Did you know that adults don't have to notify when they go take a piss?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Hotel Kpro posted:

It’s great to have a manager that tells you how great you are, how valuable you’ve been, how much you made everyone look good and then when you tell them you’re leaving they make no attempt whatsoever to retain you. Actually every job I had in my old career field was like that, which sucks because if times were hard I’d still go back to it knowing I’d always be underpaid for the work I do.

Apparently my director has been out in Utah for a month and things are a shitshow there with my manager about to head there too. Kinda hoping I don’t get roped into it, I lived there for over four years and left for a reason

We are constantly telling people in this thread not to accept counteroffers, that it just puts a target on your back and they know you're looking to leave so they start recruiting for your replacement. It can't be both ways, either we want counteroffers or we don't.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

As a communist I call people even if I could have texted them as class warfare against the capitalist dogs of the empire

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Hotel Kpro posted:

I dunno I feel like if they really valued me in the organization they’d try to do something to keep me there. I told them I wanted back in IT and they seemed like they either wanted me running power supplies or standards but not anywhere else in the company

I do see the point that if I’m out in a couple weeks then a manager knows it’s probably not worth their time to try and keep me that late in the game

I generally do everything I can for my people as soon as I can do it. Whatever I can hook them up for, it's not coming out of my paycheck, so there's no reason for my to half-rear end it. Someone tells me they're leaving, I'm not going to make a fuss, because if there was something I could do to keep them, I'd have already done it, and they wouldn't be leaving. HR isn't going to respond to a resignation with a counter, they're going to respond by being excited about the chance to replace another US employee with an offshore contractor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

tokin opposition posted:

A bunch of SREs got hired by our new CIO into Senior roles, and they are the dumbest people on planet earth.

One of them was emailing the CIO Postman poo poo they were running against a site claiming it was insecure, and I was held back by my leadership in responding and demonstrating that he didn't understand that he wasn't conducting an attack but doing something his user was legit allowed to do because he was logged in as himself.

Then he sent another email about 'OMG This website is publicly available (its supposed to be) and its using older TLS (it was using TLS 1.2, which is modern, he didn't know how to read the cert properly in his browser).' He's a VP of infrastructure.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 31, 2024

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SRE is literally the new System Administrator or Cloud DevOps Whatever Buzzword Engineer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CommieGIR posted:

A bunch of SREs got hired by our new CIO into Senior roles, and they are the dumbest people on planet earth.

One of them was emailing the CIO Postman poo poo they were running against a site claiming it was insecure, and I was held back by my leadership in responding and demonstrating that he didn't understand that he wasn't conducting an attack but doing something his user was legit allowed to do because he was logged in as himself.

Then he sent another email about 'OMG This website is publicly available (its supposed to be) and its using older TLS (it was using TLS 1.2, which is modern, he didn't know how to read the cert properly in his browser).' He's a VP of infrastructure.

Holy poo poo I want that SRE job, I can run Tenable then go bitch at people.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CommieGIR posted:

Where can I apply?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I'll refer my boss over asap

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
All of you are likely much more suited to the job, you are all hired.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

https://boehs.org/node/everything-i-know-about-the-xz-backdoor

Turns out as always the problem with Ronald's Universal Number Kounter is that when Ronald is burned out maintaining this poo poo for years and someone else graciously volunteers to help, there's very little to stop the someone else if they turn out to be a bad actor who intends to add backdoors to the software. (Not saying Open Source is bad of course, just that this is one of the major issues that everyone just kind of handwaves away).

edit: though I'll say that it seems to have been caught quite early which is an argument in favor of the open source advocation that security issues are caught quickly because multiple people have eyes on the code - however, seems like it was primarily caught because the code caused odd slowdowns in SSH connections, so if future backdoors were to hide better they might not be caught quite as fast.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 31, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Gucci Loafers posted:

SRE is literally the new System Administrator or Cloud DevOps Whatever Buzzword Engineer.

No, they are software developers! Thats why I failed my SRE interview because I coldn't identify various software deployment schemes, despite me being a unix SA for the past 20+ years.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

“Platform Engineer” is what we’re calling sysadmins/systems engineers now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cimber posted:

No, they are software developers! Thats why I failed my SRE interview because I coldn't identify various software deployment schemes, despite me being a unix SA for the past 20+ years.

It's worse than that, they are software developers playing systems administrators and infrastructure engineers and they are utterly clueless about it.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

It's worse than that, they are software developers playing systems administrators and infrastructure engineers and they are utterly clueless about it.

But hey, the can release to prod 200 times a day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I too can do useless changes 200 times a day.