Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

tokin opposition posted:

Welp I'm not paid off yet but I'm being marginalized and got told explicitly there's no path to grow my skills here, so I've probably got ~1-3 months here

On the upside I'll be WFH full time so I'll have a lot more time to job hunt and get a new cert. Debating between sex+ and net+

E: sec+ but that typo is too good to properly edit

Get the sex+ I’ll hire you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

George H.W. oval office posted:

IT nerds are definitely lacking in sex+

Thread title IE.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
chiming in to say i once bounced nearly the entire network for a hospital because I was loving around with multicasting desktop images, plus all the times I rebooted a phone server during production without thinking about it :shrug:

those were all 15+ years ago, but relatively recently I may or may not have hosed a raid controller because I got impatient with the firmware upgrade :ssh: (I actually dont know, the server was refurb and ancient. Support swapped it out and it worked fine)

this morning I had what is supposed to be a final interview for a high-level UC support job that I applied for at the start of March and was promised it would start no later than April 1st. They said they'd let me know in a week or two. I was originally interested because its a prestigious client, but during both interviews the boss didn't bother turning on their video and it gives me incredibly bad vibes.

also had a suit-and-tie interview yesterday for a VP position with a bank. It went well and the job seems cool, but I'm really over the ambush style of interviews where tangentially-related people come in asking questions about their domain. No, I dont know poo poo about ansible or terraform, because Cisco and Microsoft UC dont use that poo poo literally anywhere in their stack.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I learned the difference between allowed vlan add and allowed vlan the hard way, bringing down a large chunk of a metro area's internet to government buildings.

I think the worst I've done lately is leave a bunch of poo poo on in my aws account that I was testing out costing me like $50.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
There is an old book, Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, that had a famous anecdote:

quote:

An executive had just started working at Andrew Carnegie's company, US Steel. The new guy ruined a million-dollar project and humbly asked the boss if he would be fired. Andrew Carnegie said "Fire you? We just spent a million dollars training you!"

Firing people for a mistake is just shooting yourself in the foot. Then again, yeah, some people do seem to enjoy it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We are acquiring some new branches from a company and had our first chance to have our network and voice team people show up and see what we are getting into. So far, its real grim. One location has a majority of cables home run directly to a switch, no patch panel. Not that it would matter too much in the cabinet, as a lot of isn't racked and is instead in a pile. Other sites are better, but not by much.
In the past, we would get contractors lined up for a recable, or at the very least a tag and locate, but due to how this deal is going, we won't be able to. This places close on a Friday as the previous company, and open on a Monday as us. So we'll have Saturday to get a working environment.
A fun thing on top, we have 6 locations to do that Saturday. We have 5 network people. One of the locations is a 6-7 hour drive from the nearest person.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

CitizenKain posted:

We are acquiring some new branches from a company and had our first chance to have our network and voice team people show up and see what we are getting into. So far, its real grim. One location has a majority of cables home run directly to a switch, no patch panel. Not that it would matter too much in the cabinet, as a lot of isn't racked and is instead in a pile. Other sites are better, but not by much.
In the past, we would get contractors lined up for a recable, or at the very least a tag and locate, but due to how this deal is going, we won't be able to. This places close on a Friday as the previous company, and open on a Monday as us. So we'll have Saturday to get a working environment.
A fun thing on top, we have 6 locations to do that Saturday. We have 5 network people. One of the locations is a 6-7 hour drive from the nearest person.

ughhhh I've been in your shoes and it's nerve wracking to a degree, but you just do what you can do; hopefully your management is understanding (hah) and at least 2 of those sites are close enough together 1 person can bounce between them....

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's an impossible task to complete to that schedule and nobody should feel bad for not completing it

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

That's an impossible task to complete to that schedule and nobody should feel bad for not completing it

So much this. Hopefully leadership understands...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If the acquisition is so marginal that they can't even afford recabling contractors, why the gently caress are they doing the acquisition in the first place?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Some of the things I have learned by loving up:

* Test and Prod environments should not be able to communicate with each other.
* Double check what device you're logged into before issuing a shutdown.
* Don't schedule downtimes in the morning with a hard deadline at start of business and assume you won't run into issues.
* TEST YOUR RESTORE PROCEDURES!

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
A long long time ago I had been working on some code for a tool at work, and since I wasn't actually a developer (just a SOC monkey) I didn't have access to any sort of test environment, and in thinking about it I'm not sure we even HAD a test environment. So of course, that meant I was writing and testing code in production. We were a small company back then, so it wasn't like this sort of thing was unheard of.

But of course I made a mistake in my code, and ran a SQL UPDATE statement to the log table - without a WHERE clause. Instantly set every timestamp in the log db to "now."

I was relatively new to databases back then and in a panic I started researching any possible way to undo what I did without anyone else's help. I failed. Had to call the TechOps manager and fess up. We were friends so while he was ever so slightly annoyed, he was also very amused and thought it was more funny than anything else. A restore from backup and it was fixed within an hour or so. Nothing else came of it.

From that point on I've used it as a reference to not gently caress (too much) with production without some kind of CYA process in place, be it a scheduled change or what have you. I only do cowboy development on my personal poo poo anymore, and even then I make sure to have a rollback plan in place.

Funny enough, the tool I was writing has its own funny story. I had created a non-functional mock-up and presented it to my boss. He liked it so we presented it to development. They said "that would take us 6+ months to make, so no, we're not doing it."

I was pissed off so I went to work writing it myself. I had it finished in 5 days. As far as I know, they're still using it.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Collateral Damage posted:

Some of the things I have learned by loving up:

* Test and Prod environments should not be able to communicate with each other.

There is a story here and I'm real curious about it lmao

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tale as old as time,

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

CitizenKain posted:

Having been in this situation, you just do what you can.

When I was doing acquisitions at my old job we had 4 priorities that were roughly in order:

1) Get crowdstrike and RMM installed on all endpoints
2) Get the new Cisco router plugged in and configured to VPN back to the core
3) support HR and management through all their little issues as they get the new employees naturalized.
4) get inventory of computers, printers, find the billings for everything, get it centralized because you will be fighting old vendors in about two months time as they try and obligate you into whatever stupid contract the old owners signed to.

Everything else (like active domain joining or doing computer assessments once RMM and AV is running) can be done either remotely from the helpdesk / support team, and the contractor can come out to recable and do the physical stuff whenever.

If the callbling was hosed, it was hosed before you walked in, just so what you can to support what's there.

If (as was often the case for me) one of the admins came to you and surprise you with requests for new laptops, phones, and printers the day of the acquisition - well that was a "three weeks ago" problem. Put it in the list and they get it when they get it.

Edit: if the company isn't comping two days worth hotels and per diem for the poor fucker with the 14 hours round trip he's 100% justified in quitting. gently caress that.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 19, 2024

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Reoxygenation posted:

Pretty simple story, really. I was supposed to run a database reset script in the test environment. Someone had added a connector to the prod database without clearly labeling it as such so I accidentally nuked all data in prod instead.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

CitizenKain posted:

wtf...

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah, what exactly do they expect for that location lol? If I was suddenly voluntold to drive 12-14 hours in a single day I would be hard-pressed to not quit on the spot.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

That's one of the most unreasonable piles of poo poo I've ever heard

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One day travel, hotel, one day work, hotel, one day travelling back. OT because it's the weekend, overnight allowance, and PDs. And a hire car so you aren't loving your own one up.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'd do it, but I would do so comfortable in the knowledge that I would get a nice hotel, a flight out and back if possible or at least very generous compensation for mileage and food, and some time off afterwards in exchange for working the weekend.

Yes I am extremely happy with my employer, why did you ask?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Helicopter flight to the site, rappel down, sort stuff out, helicopter flight back home. Sorry, I'm not comfortable any other way.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Potato Salad posted:

Yes I am extremely happy with my employer, why did you ask?
Not a bad gig. Hiring?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

vanity slug posted:

Helicopter flight to the site, rappel down, sort stuff out, helicopter flight back home. Sorry, I'm not comfortable any other way.

you'd be comfortable in a helicopter? No thanks, I'd rather jump out of an airplane with a chute.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Thanks Ants posted:

One day travel, hotel, one day work, hotel, one day travelling back. OT because it's the weekend, overnight allowance, and PDs. And a hire car so you aren't loving your own one up.

I did a series of network installs across the country in 2019, similar situation. For each site I flew in early morning, got a rental car, went to the site and did the work, then hit the hotel. Next day I worked from the site to either finish the install or just hang out and make sure nothing else was broken, then flew out that evening. Really wasn't too bad.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Reoxygenation posted:

Not OP but I inherited a proces that copied the prod env to a test account for each feature branch. Part of the ci/cd process was that the prod config was replaced by bramch specific config.

If the replacement failed you had a feature branch that connected to prod. Shut that poo poo down immediately when I realized what frankenstein build process was going on behind the curtains.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Long story short but my boss is an idiot and didn't realize we had a VLAN set up on a switch we moved everything off of last week, which meant we had two dueling DHCP servers which meant users couldn't use the VPN AND people in the office couldn't use the Wi-Fi and it's been a massive headache.

Moved stuff back for now, will just make a new VLAN if the switch has hardware issues, and that's how the help desk team that got told there was no way to move into server administration solved the networking problem the sysadmin and senior manager couldn't solve. None of us have a networking cert, but to be fair, neither did they.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What even is DHCP snooping

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I'll elaborate some more as I have more info now. All the sites that we are keeping are grim. There are a couple we have to leave open for a month or so, and then can close, that is due to federal regulations.

We had another call today and go word that it might be possible to pay for some cabling in advance, the other corporate entity has to sign off on it, but at the very least we could get them tagged right. Honestly need a full recable in a few places.

The remote site is going to be an issue, but we think we'll be able to get gear setup, and get on of our contractors to make the visit. This site is in a town of less then 2k people, hours away from even a small city. We tried to find flights, and the closest lands in a town 2 hours away. Unless you have a private plane and its a small two engine.

As for others, I think we can juggle people enough to get them going, some are pretty close and none of them are big. Just going to really depend on how quick we can get our circuits in and ensure our gear will work.

It sounds worse then it is actually. Well, hopefully it sounds worse then it is.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

If the acquisition is so marginal that they can't even afford recabling contractors, why the gently caress are they doing the acquisition in the first place?

This is my first thought.

If someone gave me that schedule during an acquisition, I would tell them “No it’s impossible with the resources. We either have to bring in contracted labor or other additional resources to get some of this done or it will be a failure. If you don’t believe me, fire me and hire someone else.”

And that’s with us zero touch deploying every switch we put on the network these days.

If any kind of due diligence was undertaken, they should’ve known that this was required before anyone ever signed on the bottom line, or it was a contingency budgeted line item if it was acquired sight unseen without discovery. Anything else is mismanagement from whoever is doing the acquisition.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Ran into the sysadmin on my way out today

He thinks I was right, my boss tried to blame something entirely unrelated because I guess admitting anyone but her can be right is just a step too far.

Anyway excited to be remote even if I'm probably going to get quiet fired in the next few weeks because I don't share my boomer boss's boss love of working in an empty office for no reason.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Found out about the "rename sethc.exe to cmd.exe via command prompt in MDK, then press Shift 5x to open command prompt before logging in" thing today after some devices arbitrarily had local admin locked. Pretty cool!

Trying to do it before login popped off Cortex XDR tho, so let security dude know that was my bad. Contracts up early May, I'll miss these folks I think.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Didn't get the job I had a phone screen for, so I say good luck to them finding someone in this small area with better qualifications who is willing to take on that many red flags and an in-person job.

Applied to another in-person job which again I don't like the idea of but I like it better than being unemployed. My side job is also hiring for another IT generalist since the third person in a year and a half is leaving and I emailed HR saying "I'd be interested but the pay posted is 1/2 the going rate in this area, I haven't worked for that little since 2016, if we can find a middle ground I'd be interested."

That said it's a massive hail Mary because I know the person who approves salaries for positions and it's more likely that pigs will fly than he will admit that he's wrong on a salary range.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

ended up buying winrar in the hopes it gives me better job luck

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Has anyone used ITFlow in production for Documentation / ticketing? I'm pushing for having some sort of document control standard in my new job due to all the issues they were having before my arrival. I used ITGlue in my previous job but since we're in a nonprofit space we don't have ITGlue money, so ITFlow seems to ring a lot of the same bells while being open source. My boss seems to have a paranoid streak about it though and installed myphpadmin on the linux box so he can go through the database structure line by line.

My boss seems to have a paranoid streak about any software he's not already intimately familiar with though, and has flatly said all software requests go through him. The problem is that he basically rejects almost everything outright, even Microsoft First Party stuff like RSAT. My most recent ask yesterday was for VIsual Studio code and his immediate reaction was "Why do you need to code? Can't you just use Dreamweaver?" No Keepass, no Notable, no mRemoteNG, no dBeaver. I swear I'm going to catch him saying The Old Ways Are Best like he's a Warhammer Dwarf. :eng99:

If he makes me do all documentation and passwords on literal paper like he does I will absolutely lose my poo poo. They claim to be security minded and yet they have so many fundamental flaws in their theory of IT Security.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

If he makes me do all documentation and passwords on literal paper like he does I will absolutely lose my poo poo. They claim to be security minded and yet they have so many fundamental flaws in their theory of IT Security.

Do we work together? I've been tasked to document our processes, after I noted it's all informal (at least those of ours that aren't coming down from HQ, it's a multinational). I suggested Notion, since I worked with that before, but I'm open to other Wiki software. Maybe Microsoft Loop, since we already pay for Microsoft Everything, we just need to be granted access to make a workspace?

In a very related question, does anyone have any learning resources for SharePoint? :negative:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Serperoth posted:

In a very related question, does anyone have any learning resources for SharePoint? :negative:

Don’t do it, esp on prem

E: I’m being snarky because Sharepoint is Sharepoint, it’s hard to recommend anything specific. MS documentation can be okay to not great. There are random bloggers who have good how to sites but I can’t name any off the top of my head. I thought this post was going to be funnier or more useful and it was neither. Namaste.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 20, 2024

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Didn't get the job I had a phone screen for, so I say good luck to them finding someone in this small area with better qualifications who is willing to take on that many red flags and an in-person job.

Any sense as to why they passed on the phone screen? Usually those are just the easy softball, check that this is a real person. We're they looking for experience in one particular area or something?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I have been working in or adjacent to infosec since 2003. My 7-year-old successfully phished the Screen Time password on her iPad from me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A proud moment