Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!
Anyone here ever set up a FusionPBX system from scratch and explain to me how to go about it? I posted what I did already in the VOIP thread, but any advice is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my advice is to not

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

The Fool posted:

my advice is to not

Were that an option.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Vulture Culture posted:

I have been working in or adjacent to infosec since 2003. My 7-year-old successfully phished the Screen Time password on her iPad from me

I expect an incident report and RCA on my desk by COB.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Two days is an astonishingly unreasonable and unmoored from reality amount of time to become an expert in something people contract 350$/hr during normal business hours their time for

I really hope you're getting paid for getting this expertise as well IE the time you spend learning it

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 20, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not two days either, it's a weekend. OP why are you working the weekend?

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

It's not two days either, it's a weekend. OP why are you working the weekend?

No good reason.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

You see, what had happened was, I was in between jobs and wanted to mitigate a pay gap. I interviewed over the phone, passed a skills test with the lead, then interviewed (sort of) with the owner, who is one of those "I own 6 companies and am never off the phone" types. He said I could start immediately, by which he meant that literal second.

That was 11 days ago. I have not done any training with the remote staff in Chicago. I have been having to pal around with the owner helping him set up an Ubiquiti AF-5 for a local county-run gun and skeet shooting range. He also keeps asking me random fundamental question out of left field, so I feel like an idiot and then forget whatever the answer is. Things like whether or not to crimp solid core Cat cable, how crossover cables work, etc. Stuff you know but don't think about really. Then I turn around and am tracing wires for a downed camera, which reveals his cable guy was slipping up, among other things. Still have only sat down for two talks with the actual staff.

We're still not done with the AF-5 either, because he insisted on doing a custom wall mount on this pavilion, when I'm fairly certain a large J-pipe mount would be strong enough to do what he wants, with a plate on the inside portion of this corrugated wall.

This is just the next thing. I'm the only Florida hire right now, as they are moving the company from Chicago to Florida.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Any sense as to why they passed on the phone screen? Usually those are just the easy softball, check that this is a real person. We're they looking for experience in one particular area or something?

No idea. It is a real company, I checked, and the job is posted on their website. I'm guessing it's either that I don't have hands-on AI experience (that they couldn't state a use case for but wanted to use in the future) or that I was asking about management's openness to process improvements and stating my concerns about them being BYOD without any device management and that hurt their feelings.

My point of view is that if they want a 1-man in-house IT department/MSP wrangler and they object to that person trying to get an assessment of the environment they would be taking over, gently caress 'em, management would be impossible to work with.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 21, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's a one-man department for a smallish company and they are talking about *~AI~* then their leadership is completely directionless and just reacting to whatever poo poo gets shoved into their LinkedIn feed, and that environment would have been a nightmare.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

I have been working in or adjacent to infosec since 2003. My 7-year-old successfully phished the Screen Time password on her iPad from me
:allears: Go on...?

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Vulture Culture posted:

Criminal to leave us hanging like this.

:justpost:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Not positive, but she was FaceTiming with a friend and playing Roblox, and as far as I can tell, she enabled screen sharing before handing the tablet to me for more time, and had her friend watch the on-screen keyboard

I cannot directly ask her if this is what she did, because if she never thought of doing it before, I sure don't want her starting now

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

Not positive, but she was FaceTiming with a friend and playing Roblox, and as far as I can tell, she enabled screen sharing before handing the tablet to me for more time, and had her friend watch the on-screen keyboard

I cannot directly ask her if this is what she did, because if she never thought of doing it before, I sure don't want her starting now

You could ask her how she got it, since you know she has it. And re-evaluate your security procedures to disallow screen sharing during password entry

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Vulture Culture posted:

Nice.

When I was 10ish I got the password to our dial-up account by hiding a notepad window behind an always on top app and asking one of the parents to sign in for me. Kids are inventive.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I guessed my high school English teacher's password because I knew the name of his dog. When "Spencer" didn't work I tried "Spencerdog" and boom I was in.

Fake edit: Also when I was in high school I humiliated the headmaster when I was already in trouble. He left his office, and I noticed he left his screen unlocked. I sent an all-staff email as himself declaring all the teachers should get raises.

Lock your screens people.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

klosterdev posted:

Lock your screens people.

I seem to be the only one doing this at my current job, including the rest of the IT dept (help desk, the manager above the HD manager seems to lock stuff). Yes, we have AD access, why do you ask?

With me at least it's a holdover from the call centre, where policy was to not leave your screens unlocked for any amount of afk time. Enforcement wasn't harsh, but I've both sent and read "hey guys, coffee tomorrow is on me, let me know how you take yours" emails. My account had never sent any though :colbert:

VV: at the call centre, it was a mac so the desktop was empty for most of us, since everything we needed was through the one application we used or safari iirc.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 23, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was never mean enough to send "donuts on me!" emails, but I would be lying if I said I didn't used to take a screenshot of someone's desktop, set it as their background, then hide all the icons.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I used to write an email to the call centre manager saying that the person who left their screen unlocked was very silly, and that all their salary should go to me and leave it unsent in the middle of their screen. Then lock the screen.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Internet Explorer posted:

I was never mean enough to send "donuts on me!" emails, but I would be lying if I said I didn't used to take a screenshot of someone's desktop, set it as their background, then hide all the icons.

This, but mirroring and inverting the screen before you take the screenshot, then flipping it back around as the background so the mouse movement was completely reversed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vargatron posted:

This, but mirroring and inverting the screen before you take the screenshot, then flipping it back around as the background so the mouse movement was completely reversed.

Oh that's clever. :worship:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A place I worked at had thin IBM desktops that were completely toolless and I flipped the optical drive upside-down in a colleagues PC once when they stepped out for five minutes. He used it for a couple of weeks before giving in and turning it back around.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Vargatron posted:

One of the most subtle ones I did was flip mouse 1 and 2.

Mostly if just set the background or Screensaver to Sean Connery from Zardoz. Nothing says IT like a man in a red diaper with a revolver.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Time for 13 year old me to shine, the mom put a BIOS password to limit screen time so one day before asking to use the computer I took the keyboard into my room, took off all the key caps and put a small piece of that poster sticky tack stuff under each key. Took it back upstairs and asked for my mom to type in the password for me, which she would always make me leave the room for. When she left to go do her things I took the key caps off and saw what keys she pressed and deduced that it was a combination of family birthdays.

She then just started taking the power cable for the cable modem, and that's when I learned how to splice cables and connect the wires directly onto the prongs in the power brick, and then she gave up. Miss you mom.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Gave a presentation on autism to the all staff meeting which feels very IT to do

Tl;Dr: autism speaks eats farts

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

tokin opposition posted:

autism speaks eats farts

AutismEveryDay.mov

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I seem to have a project manager on this job who doesn't want to talk to the client at all. The client is missing their deadlines for when they were supposed to have provided us with things by to hit certain milestones, waiting a few days before bringing that up won't make it go away. We can't get the delay back, you just need to speak to them to stop it increasing.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I seem to have a project manager on this job who doesn't want to talk to the client at all. The client is missing their deadlines for when they were supposed to have provided us with things by to hit certain milestones, waiting a few days before bringing that up won't make it go away. We can't get the delay back, you just need to speak to them to stop it increasing.

We have a very very large customer who loves us because we're the only vendor that the customer's project manager can get to do anything.
I don't understand how companies are able to operate if all their customers hate them.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

klosterdev posted:

AutismEveryDay.mov

Lol I could have been in it if my parents were richer and got me medical care as a kid

Anyway the film apparently inspired a murder of an autistic child which is a pretty big fuckup

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

tadashi posted:

I don't understand how companies are able to operate if all their customers hate them.

In every large company on earth, there's an invisible magic line on the org chart that acts as an impenetrable barrier to any form of consequences. Most decision-making authority resides well above it.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

DeathSandwich posted:

Working in IT 3.0: a man in a red diaper with a revolver.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DeathSandwich posted:

One of the most subtle ones I did was flip mouse 1 and 2.

Is this still in windows as "left handed mouse" mode? Because as a left handed person that always annoyed me. If something says "left mouse button" I'll click the left mouse button, I don't need to click the right button just because I'm cack handed

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I learned to use a mouse with my right hand despite being left handed because as a kid I didn't realize you could just put the mouse on the other side

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

Is this still in windows as "left handed mouse" mode? Because as a left handed person that always annoyed me. If something says "left mouse button" I'll click the left mouse button, I don't need to click the right button just because I'm cack handed

It's in Windows, but just under Mouse settings as "Select your primary button"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

I learned to use a mouse with my right hand despite being left handed because as a kid I didn't realize you could just put the mouse on the other side

Left handed mouse usage is haram.

I’m left handed and right eye dominate. Played trumpet and an IT man so my right hand is more dexterous but left is the primary hand for things. Shits wacky.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Left handed mouse usage is haram.

I’m left handed and right eye dominate. Played trumpet and an IT man so my right hand is more dexterous but left is the primary hand for things. Shits wacky.
I'm right handed but left eye dominant. Makes for a weird sight picture for pistols and shooting skeet/archery lefty.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My handedness is all over the map. I just do what feels natural in whatever activity I'm performing. I shoot righty, took tennis lessons and played righty, throw a baseball lefty, and write lefty.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

tadashi posted:

Somehow Broadcom, Oracle and Citrix found a way.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

CitizenKain posted:

Somehow Broadcom, Oracle and Citrix found a way.

See also: All major airlines, telecom, cable companies, and health insurance.

Honestly, the list of corporate entities I would happily stab in the kidneys is longer than the list that I wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
When I worked in a call center early in my career we used to always prank each other. Moving headsets, taking the entire computer/peripherals off the desk and putting it under the desk, stuffing paper in the optimal mouse hole, flipping the screen.

One particularly evil thing I did was take a piece of paper and place it inside the USB port of the mouse so although everything looked connected, it was entirely non-functional