Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Charliegrs posted:

So this might be a weird question but can anyone recommend a headset for use in a data center? I have to travel to our data center soon and it is LOUD. I basically have 2 requirements:
- Needs to be really good at noise cancelling. The Corsair headset I've been using just isn't really cutting it.
- I'm going to be on the phone a lot with my NOC and with Cisco etc. So it needs Bluetooth voice capabilities and ideally also wired but I can live without that.

It would be even better if it doesn't completely break the bank too. Anyone have any recommendations?

I have a pair of Sennheiser CX Plus wireless buds that work well for me, but I rarely use the active noise cancelling so can't speak to how effective it would be standing next to a rack (or 20).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

https://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes-Protector-Bluetooth-Technology/dp/B0723CYHPZ

You want actual earpro, not active noise cancelling

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Raymond T. Racing posted:

You want actual earpro, not active noise cancelling

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ANC works by drowning out the noise with other noise. Actual ear protection works by preventing the noise from reaching your ears at all.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Just lol if you aren’t using Sordin Supreme Pro-X active ear pro like a real tier one (phone) operator

Unironically those made sense for me because I do gun stuff and do yardwork, so yeah. If you don’t shoot you can do way better on value.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It feels like once you've been in IT long enough you know enough to figure anything out given enough time.

Except for regex. gently caress that poo poo.

quoted for double truth

wish I had these when I was in a data center for a month straight. I was using Airpod Pros which were ok, but it was still tiring. Also :lol: one got caught on some cables when i was mucking around in a rack and I had to spend an hour figuring out where it slid

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

I use these while mowing my lawn, great investment!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It feels like once you've been in IT long enough you know enough to figure anything out given enough time.

Except for regex. gently caress that poo poo.

yep. regexr is your friend.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I don’t get the hate for regexes. It’s such a useful tool and supported broadly.

It’s not that hard if you get past the initial hurdle of understanding the at first glance seemingly unreadable syntax.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Regex is really easy when you have chatGPT do it for you

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

yep. regexr is your friend.

100%

It kinda almost starts to make sense after you realize that you’re almost making hosed up ASCII art to show the pattern that you’re looking for

The naming conventions for lookaheads/lookbehinds can gently caress RIGHT off though

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I love regex. It's fantastic for when you have to dig through unstructured data. However,

tehinternet posted:

The naming conventions for lookaheads/lookbehinds can gently caress RIGHT off

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder how many company secrets have been pasted into boxes on regex101.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

LochNessMonster posted:

I don’t get the hate for regexes. It’s such a useful tool and supported broadly.

It’s not that hard if you get past the initial hurdle of understanding the at first glance seemingly unreadable syntax.
The problem is gargantuan regexes that evolve to solve a problem when people really want a context-free parser grammar, because not every programming language is lucky enough to have a library like Lark

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Cenodoxus posted:

In every large company on earth, there's an invisible magic line on the org chart that acts as an impenetrable barrier to any form of consequences. Most decision-making authority resides well above it.
Yeah, so, consumer debt exists so that they can lord power over us

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Cenodoxus posted:

In every large company on earth, there's an invisible magic line on the org chart that acts as an impenetrable barrier to any form of consequences. Most decision-making authority resides well above it.

I mean yeah, but at every company by definition, and it's called management.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cenodoxus posted:

It's less that they are immune to consequences and more that the consequences are much harder to see and to quantify and easier to blame on other factors than the idiot who made a bad call.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

When setting up new users, I generate fully random passwords and stick it in their password manager so they only really need to memorize their AD and password manager passwords.

One of the users changed their Salesforce password to Salesforce1.

When I started working here, everyone had the same password but with their initials as the last two characters. The employees on the production floor all had the exact same password for our ERP. Our admin account passwords were all the same. This was more than a year after they were hit with a rasomware attack.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Amazon's first post on their WorkDocs blog in nearly six years is to tell you how to migrate away because they're giving up on it. I wonder if it ever had any real customers?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Cenodoxus posted:

I hate how true this is.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Machai posted:

When setting up new users, I generate fully random passwords and stick it in their password manager so they only really need to memorize their AD and password manager passwords.

When I started working here, everyone had the same password but with their initials as the last two characters. The employees on the production floor all had the exact same password for our ERP. Our admin account passwords were all the same. This was more than a year after they were hit with a rasomware attack.

I moved away from random generated passwords for windows servers at current job. I can’t copy/paste (or let the password manager auto type) the password into the login screen. Some policy prevents me from saving it into rdcman so back to “word1word2MonthnumberSpecialcharacter” it is.

This how security policies make your security worse overall. Same company disabled ssh based git because it was less secure than https. Clown world.

Also I’m contemplating on posting my teammembers AD passwords in teams whenever they screenshare and I see them copy/paste it from notepad. I’ve told them a million times to use one of the 3 password managers the company supplies us with. Apparently naming and shaming is the only option.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

LochNessMonster posted:

This how security policies make your security worse overall. Same company disabled ssh based git because it was less secure than https. Clown world.

What.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I've seen massive 10,000+ user companies literally block and ban PowerShell. The reason? Someone broke something really big once and now everything is done manually.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

LochNessMonster posted:

I moved away from random generated passwords for windows servers at current job. I can’t copy/paste (or let the password manager auto type) the password into the login screen. Some policy prevents me from saving it into rdcman so back to “word1word2MonthnumberSpecialcharacter” it is.

Also I’m contemplating on posting my teammembers AD passwords in teams whenever they screenshare and I see them copy/paste it from notepad. I’ve told them a million times to use one of the 3 password managers the company supplies us with. Apparently naming and shaming is the only option.

I use phrases and hypens instead of spaces OP

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Machai posted:

The last company I worked at literally got ransomwared too so they tripled down and were running forti + sophos (so loving annoying to install both, god forbid you do the wrong order) and their sophos would disable Wifi when connected to ethernet, but like 30% of the time it would keep the wifi disabled when you disconnected from ethernet so users would constantly be coming into the office to get wifi renabled on their devices, supe rsick

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ziasquinn posted:

The last company I worked at literally got ransomwared too so they tripled down and were running forti + sophos (so loving annoying to install both, god forbid you do the wrong order) and their sophos would disable Wifi when connected to ethernet, but like 30% of the time it would keep the wifi disabled when you disconnected from ethernet so users would constantly be coming into the office to get wifi renabled on their devices, supe rsick

Windows also sucks and fucks up doing the thing when you disconnect from ethernet and try to switch to wifi, especially if you're doing RADIUS.

Like, fixing it just requires disable/enable wifi but it's annoying and users aren't going to do that.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My first password as a kid and deep into elementary school was “qqqqq”

How far we’ve come.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There's a policy for disallowing connecting to a Domain network if an unknown network is connected, that might be in play.

I found that when I got a ticket for a laptop on a cart that had its wifi turn off whenever you plugged in the barcode printer it existed to support. It turns out the barcode printer connected via USB, but it was using a USB-Ethernet adapter for some bizarre reason. So you plug it in, there's a new 192.168.0.0 network connected, and wifi gets turned off. That took a while to figure out.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

MF_James posted:

Windows also sucks and fucks up doing the thing when you disconnect from ethernet and try to switch to wifi, especially if you're doing RADIUS.

Like, fixing it just requires disable/enable wifi but it's annoying and users aren't going to do that.

oh no, they specifically needed Admin to re enable the wifi device. it was not self serviceable

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

mllaneza posted:

There's a policy for disallowing connecting to a Domain network if an unknown network is connected, that might be in play.

I found that when I got a ticket for a laptop on a cart that had its wifi turn off whenever you plugged in the barcode printer it existed to support. It turns out the barcode printer connected via USB, but it was using a USB-Ethernet adapter for some bizarre reason. So you plug it in, there's a new 192.168.0.0 network connected, and wifi gets turned off. That took a while to figure out.

this was prob it, I think it mostly affected users who worked remote the day before

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

ziasquinn posted:

I use phrases and hypens instead of spaces OP

Grammatically correct phrases with no spaces work great. Doyouhavestairsinyourhouse? will satisfy most password requirements and is pretty easy to type.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

six+ word passphrase with maybe a little punctuation for your password manager, random 32 letter passwords generated by the password manager for everything else.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Gucci Loafers posted:

I've seen massive 10,000+ user companies literally block and ban PowerShell. The reason? Someone broke something really big once and now everything is done manually.

*Screaming*

Anyway havent been fired yet but the vibes have been off

Now if only I could get a loving interview. I'm not applying for anything big, literally just the same job I'm doing now at orgs with a bigger department (but still not for-profit)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Platform team claimed ssh based git was less secure for a whole bunch of reasons. I’ve asked them to explain this but they got fairly annoyed from the question alone so I didn’t really push it. Their response made them look bad enough already.

The only reason that made a bit of sense was the fact that you can’t put an TTL on an ssh key to force people to rotate secrets every x months. It’s still stupid as your private key should never leave your host, but I’m sure there are enough morons people sharing it with teammates so I sort of get it from their perspective.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

The only reason that made a bit of sense was the fact that you can’t put an TTL on an ssh key to force people to rotate secrets every x months.

What? You just remove the public key from the server and then that private key is no longer useful. Set up the git service to expire SSH keys a couple months after they get installed, and maybe add them to a reject-list so the same can't be added back.
Although that sounds like someone does not understand the reasoning behind why you rotate secrets.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

My guess is that it was a compliancy thing they didn’t understand. Sounds like there was a requirement to rotate secrets. Adding a policy that sets max ttl for a token to x months (ootb feature) is easier than to write code that removes peoples pub keys after x months.

In the end I didn’t care enough to push the issue. Running git remote set-url for dozens of repo’s to update the remote url from ssh to https was kinda annoying though.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We also blocked ssh key git a long time ago and I don't recall the reason, it must be some kind of vague requirement in a compliance assessment as that is normally where their actions stem from.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

LochNessMonster posted:

The only reason that made a bit of sense was the fact that you can’t put an TTL on an ssh key to force people to rotate secrets every x months

I thought CA ssh solved this?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Why don’t they use a bastion server or tailscale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Silly Newbie posted:

Grammatically correct phrases with no spaces work great. Doyouhavestairsinyourhouse? will satisfy most password requirements and is pretty easy to type.

Aren't passwords that are a bunch of words taped together typically easy pickings for password crackers?