Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

guppy posted:

Aren't passwords that are a bunch of words taped together typically easy pickings for password crackers?

Not really, if they’re longer than 40 characters long it’ll take like 5 years to brute force or something (or maybe it’s impossible) I’m not in security. Either way if you’re using a long enough string of words it doesn’t matter that they’re words vs random characters both will be equally hard to crack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my understanding is that it doesn't matter if your password is random characters or dictionary words

brute force tools use lists of hashes for all possible characters up to a certain length

also, brute forcing passwords is way less common these days, and is largely only used to crack in offline dumps

online password risk is completely from lists of known passwords

which is why the only two rules that matter are:
1. it must be long enough
2. it must be unique for every site/service

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

If this devolves into a AGI conversation IE can probe me for a month

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

:pray:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

jaegerx posted:

If this devolves into a AGI conversation IE can probe me for a month

you should only do it every other day to allow it to recover

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I now regret replying with that smiley.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

my understanding is that it doesn't matter if your password is random characters or dictionary words

brute force tools use lists of hashes for all possible characters up to a certain length

also, brute forcing passwords is way less common these days, and is largely only used to crack in offline dumps

online password risk is completely from lists of known passwords

which is why the only two rules that matter are:
1. it must be long enough
2. it must be unique for every site/service

So you're saying I didn't have to make my Google password dozens of characters of randomly generated unintelligible gibberish that's a pain to type into every new phone? Thanks, me from 2015.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
The solution to passwords is easy. Every time you change your password it gets longer and the bit requirements get bigger. This will punish those who don't use password managers, which solves the problem.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

guppy posted:

Aren't passwords that are a bunch of words taped together typically easy pickings for password crackers?

Nope, they are actually what is recommended because then you can enforce longer passwords that are more difficult to crack even if the hashes are leaked. Passphrases are kind of the standard for passwords now and are recommended as a best practice.

Also along those same lines - getting rid of rolling password expiration , which encourages password re-use and bad passwords policy in general.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

tortilla_chip posted:

I thought CA ssh solved this?

Not supported by Gitlab afaik so that’d require engineering effort to implement.

jaegerx posted:

Why don’t they use a bastion server or tailscale?

We’re already on a vpn, my guess is that disabling and dealing with the backlash for a day or 2 was easier.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Does anyone here use IPAM? Ive asked around and having trouble finding anyone who does!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dandywalken posted:

Does anyone here use IPAM? Ive asked around and having trouble finding anyone who does!

We use it. I get some value out of it when troubleshooting network issues.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

We do. Invaluable tool for troubleshooting and network/subnet planning.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Wibla posted:

We do. Invaluable tool for troubleshooting and network/subnet planning.

Same, we also have an integrated in the automation system for onboarding devices.

User managed passwords are fake security. I just consider whatever it is to be insecure if that’s the only factor used for authentication. If it’s for some system where I care about the password, then it’s gonna be a gigantic unique string of trash that gets pasted in from a vault, which I also do for my own personal stuff. The only password I know is the one to get into the password vault which is of course two factor.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dandywalken posted:

We use it solely for manually setting CIDRs for new subnets so we can avoid CIDR overlaps in our three clouds. It’s useful enough at that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
IPAM is so useful that every product gets away with being ludicrously priced relative to the actual complexity of the product

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

IPAM is so useful that every product gets away with being ludicrously priced relative to the actual complexity of the product

We just use the one that comes with Windows Server. It's fine I guess? Angry IP Scanner does everything I need to do when it comes to finding IPs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nmap -sP 192.168.0.69/24 is all the IPAM I need.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Have any of you run into an issue where subnet A resolves a host with their public IP address but subnet B resolves the host with their private IP address? Both subnets use DHCP scopes that point to the same DNS server.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

GreenNight posted:

Have any of you run into an issue where subnet A resolves a host with their public IP address but subnet B resolves the host with their private IP address? Both subnets use DHCP scopes that point to the same DNS server.

Separate views on the DNS server?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Accipiter posted:

Separate views on the DNS server?

I don't see anywhere split-brain DNS is configured on the DNS server.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DNS search suffix in DHCP?

If this is a web browser then it could be ignoring the system DNS servers and using DoH.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

DNS search suffix in DHCP?

If this is a web browser then it could be ignoring the system DNS servers and using DoH.

Option 119 is not set for either DHCP scope.

nslookup does the same thing. Basically ethernet gives external IP while wifi gives internal. It's very odd.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yo, I figured it out. Ugh.

We use Cisco Umbrella and the domain name for the resource wasn't set in Umbrella to resolve locally.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Antioch posted:

We just use the one that comes with Windows Server. It's fine I guess? Angry IP Scanner does everything I need to do when it comes to finding IPs.
Yeah, this doesn't sound like a use case that you need IPAM for

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Vulture Culture posted:

Netbox is open source

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

xzzy posted:

nmap -sP 192.168.0.69/24 is all the IPAM I need.

Add the o for os detection

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Just do what we do: track all the IP address ranges in a single Excel file

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ahhh cool. I only used it in a class project, where we set it up to manage a single DNS server which seemed kind of unnecessary. But if it can coordinate and troubleshoot multiple servers for that and DHCP functions then I def see the merit. I guess our campus isnt at the scale where that sort of functionality is necessary, as nobody at all was familiar with it despite four DNS servers.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
What IPAM are your orgs using? Mega corp I work for is a mix of Excel and Solarwinds. :lol:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

We have several hundred VLANs and even more subnets, it would be impossible to keep track of without IPAM. Currently we use phpIPAM. Tried out Netbox which was nice but didn't really offer anything over phpIPAM to make it worth the effort of switching.

e: We don't track every assigned IP and a lot of the networks use dhcp anyway, but it's invaluable to keep track of all the subnets and vlans.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 30, 2024

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We use phpIPAM as well, way better than anything you don't pay for

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Prescription Combs posted:

What IPAM are your orgs using? Mega corp I work for is a mix of Excel and Solarwinds. :lol:

Infoblox. I’ve used bluecat in the past but infoblox seems to be the choice for big rear end corps

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Prescription Combs posted:

A home grown oracle database from the 90's. Instead of ever taking any opportunities to improve, they wrote scripts to export it to infloblox.

The schema is a complete tire fire as only 30 years of simmering can produce.

Fortunately that is so far away from my department that I never have to interface with it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

IPAM is the bees knees so long as Im not the one managing it.

Ive used InfoBlox and SolarWinds. No personal preference between either, again so long as Im not maintaining either. Otherwise Infoblox is a beast if you pay for all that it can do and I'd opt for SolarWinds for smaller shops.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Collateral Damage posted:

We have several hundred VLANs and even more subnets, it would be impossible to keep track of without IPAM. Currently we use phpIPAM. Tried out Netbox which was nice but didn't really offer anything over phpIPAM to make it worth the effort of switching.

e: We don't track every assigned IP and a lot of the networks use dhcp anyway, but it's invaluable to keep track of all the subnets and vlans.

We also extensively use Netbox for the DCIM side, rack, cabling etc. Can be a little cumbersome but you can get a lot out of it if you spend the time throwing all the info at it

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 30, 2024

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

We also extensively use Netbox for the DCIM side, rack, cabling etc. Can be a little cumbersome but you can get a lot out of it if you spend the time throwing all the info at it
Yeah that was one of the things I liked about it, but I'm also honest with myself and know that in our org it would probably not be kept updated. :)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

IPAM is the bees knees so long as Im not the one managing it.

Ive used InfoBlox and SolarWinds. No personal preference between either, again so long as Im not maintaining either. Otherwise Infoblox is a beast if you pay for all that it can do and I'd opt for SolarWinds for smaller shops.
We're looking at a $15-25k quote to get solarwinds set up and it's just not worth that.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The person I report to doesn't know what Bcc is. We had to explain it to him when it came to sending an email to a number of people without exposing one's address to another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Serperoth posted:

The person I report to doesn't know what Bcc is. We had to explain it to him when it came to sending an email to a number of people without exposing one's address to another.

How do these people even get a job?

probably because the person who hired them is even more incompetent