Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dark Helmut posted:

In general, agency recruiters get paid a percentage of your first year's salary, so it's in our best interest to get you as much as we can. If I am talking you down, it's because I know other candidates are more qualified at that level or something along those lines.

Isn't it more like a realtor, where they'd rather sell the house and get the commission instead of risking it for an extra thousand bucks or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Super-stupid and random question.

We have an 800 number. 800-XYZCORP. No big deal, right?

Well another company with a similar name to use has almost the same number. 888-XYZCORP

Guess who 25% of our phone calls are for? The other company.

Any suggestions? They won't let use use an auto-attendant which would solve this problem.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Aunt Beth posted:

For all the sysadmin types out there, about what percentage of your architecture is x86 compatible and what's proprietary (like POWER, SPARC, zEnterprise, etc)? I work for a certain blue behemoth so my picture of what people run is kind of skewed.

Also, what's everyone's opinion of the closed systems? I know in school I was taught that the world runs on Windows and Linux on x86 (virtualization notwithstanding) and then there are a few people to still run UNIX variants and that mainframes are dead and buried. I've seen this is very much not the case, but what's everyone else's perception?

One iSeries. Last place I worked had an HP/UX on Itanium.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there any use at all for local storage on a VMware box if you have a SAN?

We have an HP server with 6x300GB and 2x72GB drives. We're using a Dell SAN for our VMware storage so there's nothing on the disks. One of the 300GB drives died the other day, and the server is out of warranty so it's not going to get replaced? Just pull the rest of the drives or what?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

tadashi posted:

I may have a chance at an interview for a technical position with a startup soon where the culture appears to be "hip nerd company". I've only ever worked in corporate IT so I've only ever worn suits to my interviews. When people interview for these kinds of companies, what the hell do you wear to the interview?

Whatever the gently caress you want. Don't wear khakis and a shirt with buttons on it or they will make fun of you.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

When I say 'make fun of you' I meant they'll tease you about it for a second but it's not like they're going to steal your lunch money.

I normally wear khaki's and button downs but at the last place I worked, I only wore it for the first week. Everyone was like "you know you don't have to 'dress up', right?"

It helps me get into 'work' mode, but after a while I ended up just rolling out of bed and wearing t-shirts and sandals.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

You're there to get a job. To impress and give the impression that you want to earn a spot with their team. Not to pretend you're already one of them.

Would you come in on a Saturday to work with Dark Helmut?

:spergin:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It does make the first impression when they see you pull into the parking lot.

We hired a guy that drove a rape van. Strangest kid I ever met but he was loving obsessed with programming.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does anyone here work at a place like a firewall or antivirus company where the bulk of their day involves researching new viruses and vulnerabilities? Is it as glamorous as it might seem?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have worked with far too many people who "went to collage" that can't write an email to save their loving life. It is not a guarantee that a person is not a moron, but you are far better with than without a degree.

Also, never use the line, "Degree? Do you think if I had a computer science degree I'd be applying here to run your rinky-dink network for $42k a year?" in an interview. It will not go well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

I've never met anyone who automatically rejects someone because they don't have a four-year degree.

<RANDOM LARGE COMPANY> sure does

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Misogynist posted:

I hate to be that guy, but it's worth pointing out that being hired for your self-taught skills is way more likely to work out if you're born a male of an unobjectionable ethnic group (or at least sound like one on your resume).

Wasn't the whole thing of 'high school diploma', and then 'college degree required' just an attempt by the white man to keep darkies out of corporate America?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

psydude posted:

You heard it here, folks. Employers want people with degrees because they're waging class warfare.

You don't think that's even partially true?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The funny part is how racist companies can be - especially small ones. I live in a city that's 50% black, and I've worked for 5 different companies who were family owned and operated, by white people of course. They vary from construction to transportation to manufacturing.

You know how few black people I've worked with?

First company had ~ 120 employees, two of them were black. Second place had 60 employees, no black people. Third place had 30 employees, no black people. 4th place had 200 employees, 4 black people. Current place has about 70 employees and none of them are black.

So either one of three things are happening here:

1) No black people are applying.
2) No qualified black people are applying.
3) The owners are racist and told HR you shouldn't hire many darkies.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

psydude posted:

Do you live in the south, by any chance?
Midwest, which has it's own special blend of racism

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

I decided to take an offer for a 100% remote position (the entire company works this way). Anyone have any tips for working out of your home without going insane?

There's a million blog posts about it. Do you live by yourself?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pedestrian Xing posted:

We finished our GW to exchange migration recently
Wow, people are still using Groupwise? Place I worked for over 10 years ago was big into moving them to Exchange.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

When I was 17 I was still in grade 11, what the gently caress Alberta? Did you skip a grade dude? You seem a little young to be absolutely sure this is what you want to do.

In the United States it isn't uncommon to graduate when you are 17, generally the cut-off is November 30th to determine what age you have to be when you start school.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Methanar posted:

Alright I need some reassurance here that I haven't hosed up.

I am 17 years old and am going to college for the first time starting Tuesday. http://www.nait.ca/program_home_77384.htm First of all did I waste my time by taking a 2 year program at a college, and in networking as opposed to something more sysadminy (everyone here loves to say that networking is not an entry level field), rather than a 4 year program at a university (where I get all the soft skills and proof of being able to dedicate 4 years of work to something).

A 4-year degree from a university in something like 'Information Systems' or 'Computer Science' is much, much better than a 2 year 'IT', 'networking', or 'security' degree.

BUT

That two year degree can be a foot in the door at a decent company for a decent wage, and you seem pretty motivated and knowledgeable already, so you should do just fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Or a means of knocking out a bunch of introductory poo poo on the cheap before transferring to a 4 year school to finish up a BS/BA. Community colleges are underrated, IMO. If you go that route you still wind up with the diploma from Big Name School and potentially save a ton of money.

Assuming it's a CC and not Devry or ITT

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Misogynist posted:

"How can we gently caress over a guy who's already doing someone's job for free?"

"I dunno, how about he pays our credit card interest?"

My old boss did this for ALL IT department purchases. He'd be spending $20,000 a month. So many Sony points.

edit: Also some guy here used to buy poo poo on his personal card and sell it back to the company (at a higher price) wtf

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Let's talk about lovely office buildings. They've added on to this building like 3 times. Mystery light switches, wiring this place with new CAT6 is a nightmare. Brand new chair with 80's carpet that's missing a huge strip and then a 80's desk that got hit by a car or something because it's so warped and bent the drawers won't even close.

DON'T TRIP ON THE WIRES!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

stuxracer posted:

How does a fortune 500 not have P cards? That doesn't make sense at all. Even small businesses get cards because it makes tracking expenses easy.

I want to know the name, but don't want to know (do not post it). Did someone from your company (your boss) tell you this? Or do you know for sure they do not have company cards? Hell I would bet your department secretary has one to buy food and office supplies.

:lol: We had P cards with the worst restrictions ever. $200 spending limits (it's fun telling people to run the card 3-4 times so you can buy a projector), a huge list of approved vendors...talk about a pain in the dick.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Can we talk about remote assist apps again?

We're using LogMeIn which is great, it let's us not only do remote control but some scripting and stuff, open command prompts remotely and such.

But they are loving us on pricing. They want to license it per user so for 100 users it's over $3,200 a year.

I'm getting a demo of Teamviewer this week, I've used it a bit before and they offer unlimited users for like $2,800. Also have a demo of GoToAssist coming.

We're almost all Windows with 2 Macs, and we have 3 admin users (2 of which will actually use it)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We will use it quite a bit. I don't really want to switch, I'd be happy with just having leverage to get LogMeIn to either lower their price or give us say, 150 users (we won't go near that really)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Do you only need to log in to your own computers? You could buy 256 seats of LogMeIn Hamachi for $119 a year to have a zero-config VPN set up on all those PCs. Then you can install something free like TightVNC onto every PC or use Remote Desktop Connection.

75 or so machines on our LAN, 5 at another location (connected full time by VPN), and handful of laptops who are who knows where.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

What's wrong with join.me? I've only used it a few times, but it seemed OK to me.

Because I don't want to have to walk through getting on the website and have someone read me a meeting ID. And then it locks you down pretty well when you try to go to a website to download a driver or whatever.

I want a big list of computers just like we have where I can get on any of them in one click.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

Logmein Central does that, supports unlimited computers, and is only $250 U.S. per year per operator (last time I checked).
101-250 users is $499

We use LogMeIn now. But we have everyone configured as a Pro host which costs extra, we do some special things with the rest of them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

You don't need the pro, which is where all your money is going. I only have 5 pro licenses for some of my really remote users, but free works for my other ~60 users.
I said twice that we are doing scripting and other stuff with LogMeIn, which is why we have Pro.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's dumb, I hide a lot of stuff in my system tray, why on earth do I always need to see Outlook "O" icon while I have Outlook open on one screen 24/7. It makes total sense to hide some icons.

Why the gently caress does every app need an icon? :argh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ashley Madison posted:

Can anyone recommend any decent security blogs? I'm not well-informed on that side of the industry because it's outside of my purview, but I would like to stay informed.

Security like what?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Recruiters. I'm a jack-of-all-trades guy and they want me to come in and discuss a job at a local bank, 300 locations, they want 5 years of Cisco experience blah blah. I could probably do the CCNA in a month or two but the biggest place I've even setup was only 6 sites. Thanks for wasting my time!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm trying to explain to my helpdesk guy that he needs to get a new job if he wants any more $. They aren't going to give him $10k out of the blue unless he brings a job offer, and he could make another 20k if he took another gig.

3 years helpdesk and light server admin work, has an associates in IT. He's pretty good but lacks the confidence to go anywhere else (Feels he's not ready) even though I explain to him a lot of these jobs are 90% dealing with other people's bullshit and 10% dealing with tech.

His wife isn't from here and wants to move, he has nothing tying him down except the owners of the company know his wife's parents, and at one point they secretly gave him like $2,000 to finish school. Pretty cheap price to pay for his lifetime loyalty.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

go3 posted:

i dont care where the gently caress you're living if you are getting paid 25k/yr to do anything other than slap stamps on vegetables then you're getting hosed

Man, you do not want to know what migrant workers get paid that slap stamps on vegetables.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

If you live in a place with no better options then move to a place with better options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0q4o58pKwA

They should do a Sierra-style game, like Goldrush but you're traveling out west to make it rich building a startup.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I mean, you could split the difference and have something like - "Basic Linux Experience (Installation, Configuration, Day-to-day Use)" - but for me, that's my interpretation of "working knowledge."
Depends. There's a big difference between typing 'apt-get install wordpress' or being able to download, configure, and build a project, and get it running.

I've had people say they 'know Linux' but didn't know what SSH was when I asked them to get into a web server.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Whether it's a Linux server or a Cisco router, don't put it on your resume if you've worked with something 'once or twice'. If you are working with the things on a regular basis, okay.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

go3 posted:

E-mail is great but e-mail as a file transfer medium makes me want to commit genocide and basically gently caress people who dont stop their users from turning .psts into storage lockers for literally everything

I worked at a place where they literally didn't know how to 'upload files' to a server and only emailed poo poo back and forth

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cenodoxus posted:

Hi Bob I think one of the files on the server is broken I can't open it can you please help I have a meeting in 5 minutes the file name is
RE: RE: RE: FWD: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: FWD: FWD: RE: Meeting Minutes (Updated) (FINAL) (Additional Notes) Followup (1).doc
thanks
:byodood:

I meant like, imagine a list of 100 customers, say an Excel spreadsheet, instead of uploading or importing it to the application that runs on the server, they email the file to newcustomers@xyz.com

It works like this for every process you can think of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

feedmegin posted:

To be fair 15 years Linux sysadmin is quite possible. that's around when Linux hit the mainstream.

I've been playing around with Linux since 1999 where do I apply :smugdog: