Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

i am a moron posted:

Im getting offered for this supposed 350-500k job, looking at Glassdoor I think I might have gotten bamboozled by a recruiter but gently caress me if they weren’t all the happiest people and have all been there ~10 years. I know some folks who have made the transition from presales to sales and ngl I kinda want to do blow at sporting events and run the tab up at the golf course on bourbon trying to land that deal

We had an ERP sales guy gives us all free passes to their big conference. The first night he rented a group of us a party bus and we went to a liquor store then a bunch of strip clubs. Don't think he bought any blow, though. Best part was him having to pay like $1100 to get the Canadians out of the private room when we tried to leave.

We bought the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Farking Bastage posted:

Came in this morning and there's a big planning meeting going on to decide the future direction of core router upgrades. I wasn't even invited. I'm done.

e: edit annnnnnd closed door meeting with everyone but me... something's up

Farking Bastage, thank you for your input. We're going with Ubiquiti. Can you set it all up by next Monday?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Production NIS server is named...pnis01

Hilarious.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If we want any networking equipment for February we need to get the plan approved and ordered TODAY

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Filthy Lucre posted:

Supply chain is a hell of a thing.

This is just as much internal scheduling, approval, etc as anything supply-related. The switches are probably already in a warehouse somewhere and owned by us.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

jaegerx posted:

That’s what you get for not using the cloud

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/fedex-to-close-data-centers-retire-all-mainframes-by-2024-saving-400m/

FedEx to close data centers, retire all mainframes by 2024, saving $400m
Company looking to go all-in on cloud

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SHI got hacked. Lol

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Zil posted:

What's BGP?

I'm kidding I'm kidding.

Butt Gallery Post?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I like when some peon tries to grill me over some system issue. Has it been fixed? Do we expect to see it again? How did the talk wit their team go?

"It has not been resolved yet."

You're not in IT. Your title doesn't say director. Piss off!

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 12, 2022

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

i am a moron posted:

Those drat peons. Always wondering when the stuff you’re responsible for fixing is fixed. loving losers LOL

That's all you get to ask. You don't get to ask what I'm trying, what the next steps are, etc. I'll let you know when it's fixed you go back to work.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hey bob is the server working yet?

Nope

You try, uh, making sure it's plugged in?

How about updates you ran the updates?

Is it a window server?

Sometimes my internet goes out at home and...

You run malwarebytes?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

i am a moron posted:

Are they peons though bob or coworkers :thunk:

peons

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Zil posted:

Just take straight caffeine pills you cowards. :argh:

Does ThinkGeek still exist and if so so they still have the caffeine soap?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Welp, just got fired from my new job, good thing I hadn't left my old one. They wanted someone with more AWS experience and didn't want to pay $83k for someone still learning the ropes but with a basic understanding of the platform.

What kind of company was it?

And what gave it away? Slow to complete tasks or what kind of stuffp

I'd be afraid of being in meetings getting asked stuff and being like uhhh

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Today's safety meeting reminds us that poor black children are not good swimmers

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

jaegerx posted:

I can find a way around everything my stupid rear end ciso does and i just don't under how that position exists? l just don't understand what they loving do

Someone has to sit in those meetings

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Vargatron posted:

I'm curious about something. Do IT jobs in India just not pay any money? Because I put up a job post for a part time student worker position paying 12 bucks and hour and I have a ton of people applying for the job from that region. They're masters students and their resumes have legit coding experience which I'm sure they could use to get a remote job making good pay. I'm shocked so many people are clamoring for a helpdesk style job for maybe like 10-15 hours a week worth of work.

There's also a billion people there

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Selklubber posted:

If it's easier to configure thats good. We don't have a lot of traffic, I'm just annoyed having to google which random file deep in a subdirectory I have to change to add certificates or whatever.

Caddy anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Are storage based DLP "solutions" usable or not?

Superna lets you specific a percentage to flag a user if the download that much data from a folder. Sounds primitive and it's going to be triggered all the time. And then what, we block the user or report them to someone or?

Their ransomware protection is equally useless, modify too many files in one day and they lock you out. So many users call us about this.

We have a lot of researchers who transfer large amounts of data as part of their jobs.