Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

jaegerx posted:

Middle management to me has always seemed like the quickest way to get fired. Especially if you come from a technical background where you expect some productive thing to occur. I've done team lead. Never again. I don't want people working for me or having to deal with career managers that are only there to ensure they keep their job.

Only managers that don't know how to dump it all off on an underling get fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
If you know the owner and he knows your name you might show a bit of loyalty and at least give them a chance to make a counter-offer. If you're working for OCP then who cares, gently caress them before they gently caress you.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

psydude posted:

I love it when HR people obviously write job descriptions:

"Manages core network protocols such as OSPF, BGP, MPLS, DHCP, ARP, and ICMP"

I really can't understand how HR ever became part of the search and hiring process.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
There's roughly a billion HIPAA violations out there and only so many people who give a drat so short of just publishing patient info in a newspaper you can get away with most anything

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Get a degree that way when you can't find a job you can at least still feel superior to the people without one.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

be nice wicka posted:

No one really cares what specific subject matter you learned in college; you probably forgot most of it the second you graduated. A college degree is a piece of paper that says for four years you worked with others, you met deadlines, and you accomplished a reasonably complex and stressful goal without giving up. Walking in to an interview and saying "well I taught myself how to code" tells me that you can code, not that you can do the job.

E: Thants

While HR may think having a degree means this it really doesn't and we'd be better off just saying 'Get a degree because it fills a checkbox'

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

Tech question. I've been out of the game for the last few years but one of my coworkers went and got himself spyware'd and it's easier for me to fix it than ship it off to corporate. What are the go-to tools these days? "Back in my day" I used Ad-aware, Spybot, HijackThis, etc.

Feel free to PM me or refer me to a different thread so I don't jack this one up.

Send it to corporate.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I'd rather cook for 8 than go out and eat with them

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
now that you've stopped being a doormat don't make one final trip down memory lane.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
That is loving bizarre

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
You entered a minefield. Back away slowly.

If you're dead set on pursuing this, do like ^^^^ said and get someone further up the food chain to fight for you. If your supervisors don't think its a good idea then congrats you shouldn't feel bad about letting it go.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
People enjoy the illusion of being kept 'in the loop' and managers are more than happy to play that stupid game so uh get used to wasting time keeping people up to date on trivial things

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
There's soft skills and there's hand holding and we wonder why things are falling apart

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Sarcasmatron posted:

In 2004, I was hired to provide Tier 3 operational support for the ISP of a top 10 research university - 2 FTEs and approximately 2 dozen part-time students providing Tier 1 and 2 support. One of the first major issues I solved was a cross-departmental issue that was impacting user email quotas. I solved this problem by getting up, walking approximately 25 feet, and having a 5 minute conversation with a developer in one of the other departments. The impact at the university level was significant, and enabled the university ISP to execute against several significant campus-wide initiatives impacting 300,000+ users.

I've been in management since 6 months after I started there, and I'm making 3x what I was making in 2004 and having a lot of fun in the process.

You can either choose to look at face time as a waste or an investment. YMMV.

This story has exactly zero bearing on what he is talking about but thanks for that

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
A good interviewer will get you to volunteer that info

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

In other news, HP is splitting and I can't even believe this is eliminating 50,000+ employees. :smith:

Gotta make them stockholders happy.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, what? It's illegal to discriminate or base employment offers on any of those things, so sneakily getting an interviewee to admit that information could actually get the company in legal trouble or a human rights complaint. A good interviewer would never do that, and actually has to take care to NOT do that. Maybe America is different I guess.

:allears:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The law has you covered guy don't worry about it!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Contract to hire is how you get schmucks to plan and act for the future of their work without having to offer them anything back. Its amazing, really.

Also, resources lolol people are literally commodities

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
more like Not Working in IT 3.0

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Call from recruiter.

lovely recruiter - "what's your previous salary"
Me - "can't discuss it"
lovely recruiter - "what salary do you want?"
Me - "well for my experience and the role as I saw it described $x amount"
lovely recruiter - "well we're done"
Me- "that's it?"
lovely recruiter "that's it"

Then he hung up. No goodbye. That was the jist of our conversation. 5 minutes. At least he didn't waste my time but my god. I'd write him a letter on LinkedIn but I just don't care that much. Made me laugh my rear end off though.

Quick, concise and to the point.

"lovely"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

psydude posted:

I was listening to my boss talk to the weird rear end network engineer at another major campus this morning and it reaffirmed my belief that social skills and not being a loving awkward nerd are as important, if not more important, than technical knowhow.

Ability gets you a job. Bullshit gets you a career.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Alfajor posted:

My boss wants me to look into replacing our desktop virus protection, from TrendMicro OfficeScan to "PC Matic". I'd never heard of it before, so I did my research: they're sponsors of some shows on Fox... which is pretty much his news source.
I fear of the can of worms this will open.

Part of me hopes you stop this but most of me wants to see where this rabbit hole leads

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
They're not going to tell you whether its a dead end job or not

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
i dont care where the gently caress you're living if you are getting paid 25k/yr to do anything other than slap stamps on vegetables then you're getting hosed

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

SH/SC confuses me sometimes. Certs are worthless, degrees are worthless, you need to get a new job to get a promotion, but don't put anything on your resume you aren't an expert at.

How the hell are you supposed to move up in the world if you can only get jobs doing what you've already done?

People skills. Bullshit. The gift of gab. Whatever the gently caress you call it that makes people like you. Its the only thing that can actually differentiates you from the other 75 people with your exact skillset. Its what turns you from a resource into a person. Its what turns you from expendable to protected. Degrees, certs, experience; its all worthless when its all the same. Businesses may try their damndest to turn workers into easily replaced cogs, but ultimately it is people hiring people. Game them.

Edit: Anecdote time. Years ago I had a tremendously gifted guy on our staff who I said was paid less than he was worth, but more than he deserved. Why was this? Because he was loving insufferable. As time went on I could barely stand him, the rest of the staff didn't like him and he was pretty much banned from customer locations unless another tech was with him to speak with people. Ultimately this guy's inability to deal with people led to me letting him go. His gigantic pile of MS and Cisco certs didn't get him very far and his career eventually just collapsed. Finally, after some time doing non-IT jobs that made him actually interact with people, he got his poo poo together and is now CTO of a not so small company in California. The moral of this story is, never be that guy who's description ends with, "but nobody likes him."

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 30, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

You all understand that "Be totally honest on your resume" and "Bullshit everybody in the hiring process" are not compatible with each other, right?

I don't advocate lying on your resume but so long as non-technical people are the first hurdle to clear in the hiring process you've got to do whatever it takes to do that and if gross embellishment about your Linux skillset checks that final box then loving do it. I'm not saying tout your Windows Home Server experience as expert knowledge of Server 2012 if thats what you're applying for but, gently caress some of these requirements they come up with are retarded. If "Must be able to reload stamp license into Pitney Bowes Machine" is there just nod your loving head that you can do it and Google that poo poo later.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
E-mail is great but e-mail as a file transfer medium makes me want to commit genocide and basically gently caress people who dont stop their users from turning .psts into storage lockers for literally everything

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Have an exit plan just in case someone puts the kibosh on your nascent power accumulation and/or thinks you being on call 24/7 is totally cool

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I tell my guys not to give out their cell # to clients and if they do so its at their own loving peril. After hours/emergency support calls go through me and I am the Ultimate loving Arbiter of what is and is not an emergency.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

psydude posted:

Haha, everything at work is broken. Our domain controllers are still broken and our lab ESX environment just poo poo the bed. Even the vending machine has stopped working.

If you feel like punting I'd just go address the vending machine.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Ugh I had a resume years ago that looked pretty good but it was written by a 3 year old and if you can't get basic poo poo like this right I am not trusting you with my clients

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Drunk Orc posted:

The schools in Hamilton County are supposedly some of the best in the country, I feel like every school says that though. They can afford to give all the kids iPads though so the district can't be too broke!

Getting iPads is pretty loving easy. Apple loves getting kids into their ecosystem early. Getting money to actually maintain IT infrastructure though, welp! This is why we no longer bid on education jobs.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Contract to fire

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
He's gonna get shitcanned and never see it coming its kinda great

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

goobernoodles posted:

What do you guys look for when comparing SLA's of potential ISP's? We currently use Integra and getting reamed. We're paying a ridiculous $6400/mo for Hosted Firewall, VPN, 20Mb EoC to Seattle HQ, 12Mb bonded T1's to Portland office, MPLS, PRI's for in house PBX's as well as long distance, DID's, etc.

I've gotten quotes from Comcast, Windstream, CenturyLink and a handfull of other smaller ISP's but it's looking like Comcast and Windstream are the only viable options from a price perspective. Haven't sat down and drudged through SLA's yet, but I'm planning on doing that this week.

On a side note, anyone recommend or not recommend Fortinet Fortigate UTM's? I'm going to kick the hosted firewall to the curb soon. Didn't see a networking thread. Looking for an intuitive GUI, easy site-to-site VPN setups with cheap models for construction job sites, and the ability to have 2nd WAN connection as well as a potential for having two in HA.

CenturyLink is hot loving garbage and so is the GUI on Fortigates. For things like this we use Sonicwall.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
its a shame its not 3 because then you could bring in Hungry Hungry Hippo

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Not really, I am speaking from what SA SH/SC has taught me. Money/power > social poo poo

youre earning pennies and have no power i hope this helps

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
'Company men' are great because they never see it coming

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Chickenwalker posted:

I work in NYC. We don't edit but we maintain all the Avid PCs/Macs and troubleshoot if there are any problems with projects or media, which there are almost constantly. It's not an exclusively client support role though, because we manage the network and storage too. I'm planning on getting some certifications to see if I can get a little more authority and pay but I don't know. I have a film school background not CS, and even though I know my poo poo I don't know if I could get anyplace else to give me the time of day without meeting the typical prerequisites. And this job is slowly killing my prospects of getting an actual production position, even if it is a stable paycheck.

With the hours I work I make roughly $11/hour which really sucks, I feel like I should be making closer to $60-70k.

A friend's daughter makes $10.50/hr working at Old Navy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I'll close our doors before I ever take on another healthcare client.