Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Except he was calling to let me know he's giving notice today. Son of a bitch. I love working with and for this guy, because he does what a boss needs to do - provides cover, shelters me from the bullshit, listens to my hairbrained schemes to spend company money, and then lets me execute. I don't know who they're going to bring in, but I know that it's not going to be what it was.

Sorry to hear that, I'd feel exactly the same about my current boss and would probably quit rather than go through the total shitshow that would result if he left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Surprise: Oracle is literal poo poo. Who knew?!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

They pay me back before 30 days so I don't pay interest, and like I was saying our company doesn't do company cards which is why they asked in the first place.

I should clarify, of course I'm replaceable, but they'd never make back the value they get from me. I'm not replaceable for my wage, we literally had interviewees with equal qualifications to mine laugh and walk when we told them what they'd start at (my wage).

Edit: I guess what I'm getting at is, I think the only reason they're not paying me what I ask is because they think they can get away with it. I was making 20/hr so I asked for a raise to 30, they gave me 25 instead of completely balking. Just like with the new job, I told them the offer was too low and they came back 5k higher. It's obnoxious how I can't know what's really on the table without these ultimatums.

Wait. You are paid so poorly that new interviewees literally walk away laughing, AND you actually purchase company goods on your personal credit card? And don't see anything wrong with that?

Holy loving hell you have to be trolling.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

The company just doesn't have company credit cards, at least they do not exist in our subsidiary. They only do purchase orders or pay vendors, so they had to set me up as a vendor.

The credit card thing is valuable to the CFO in a very quantifiable way, and of course no one else is willing to do it, it looks a bit shady sure but they've never been late paying me back and it's something to hold over them.

Stop doing it. You're loving insane and stupid as hell. Stop putting company purchases on your own credit card. I cannot believe you don't see a problem with this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You make 50k/year, and don't see a problem with putting 10k/month company purchases on your personal credit card :stare:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Either way, if you want to stay there and stay on your salary, stop loving using your personal credit card for company expenses of that magnitude.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Do you have red bull and caviar in an IV hooked up to you, or something?

Food is a lot more expensive in some places in the world outside America!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TWBalls posted:

$131. a week on food is shockingly low?

In some places in the world, yes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I probably spend $100-120 CAD/week here, including work lunches which is a cheap cafeteria, but I try and buy fresh ingredients rather than packaged poo poo.

It's funny when Americans get shocked at how expensive food can be elsewhere :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

psydude posted:

Relative to whom? I bought a whole goat in Afghanistan for $15.

Was it alive? Bad deal man.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have a protip for all of you: don't let your users/clients/whatever run ColdFusion :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have a 2 metre wide whiteboard in my office and it's the most useful thing ever.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Anybody have any familiarity with 2008 R2 / 2012 R2 kernel hardening? edit: Specifically locking down the files on a domain controller.

What exactly are you wanting to know? You might have more luck too here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3327309

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Looking for info on PGP or other disk encryption for a domain controller. I'll browse through that thread. Thanks.

Something like Bitlocker would give you offline disk encryption with TPM, which is usable just fine on a DC as it's decrypted while running. But the AD database would be kept in memory while running anyways, not encrypted. If it's a low security site, consider an RODC?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Do you salaried people not bank your OT hours or something? Why would you work for nothing?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

That's what being a salaried employee means :confused:

What?? Are you saying that as a salaried employee, who is paid for 8h/day and 40h/week, you do not get paid for work beyond that? Like, even into a PTO bank?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How is that legal?!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Docjowles posted:

It's explicitly called out in our labor laws that IT work is exempt from overtime pay, in fact!

Dude there is nothing else I can say to this, other than drat that's hosed up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That's hosed up. There's a few "exempt" groups here, employees who will have very unusual hours and shift work like police, firefighters, forestry workers, taxi drivers, etc. But their regulations tend to be more beneficial and specifically catered to their job, as opposed to worse-off.

Anyways that sucks. Sorry :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Misogynist posted:

Jeez, BGP whack-a-mole in the southeast US tonight.

I was wondering what was going on.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm salaried with OT, but it kicks in when work is done between certain hours, not by hours worked per week.

In fact, according to the handbook I am expected to work a minimum of 40 per week.

So pretty much I can get stuck doing 11 hour days more than once per week and get no OT.

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

you are expected to work more than 80hrs if necessary

Jesus, how are you guys so nonchalant about this?! How can you handle living/working somewhere that treats you like this, with no basic labour laws?

I am all :stare: right now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I loving hate my job and spend my days full of barely checked rage.

:(

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Pretty much because I can't just up and move to the utopia you live in.

Otherwise I'd be there like now.

Pfft it's no utopia, I live in one of the most expensive places in my country with an average salary. But basic labour laws that ensure you get compensated for all hours you work aren't really a luxury, they should be expected!!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Chalets the Baka posted:

"Labor" is a dirty word in American lexicon, especially if you pair it with "law". Americans will sacrifice themselves and their family if it means enriching their employer even marginally. It's especially bad in IT where it's mostly Randian untermensch and endless startups who will behead you on film if you even mention the word "union". And the only people who own guns are the ones who would defend to the death their "right to work" for nothing. Everything here is a race, and it's always to the bottom. We really are a bunch of retarded creatures.

I was gonna ask if unionizing was a possibility for some of you. But now I get the impression that even mentioning it would cause your employer to literally implode :( And I'm guessing you'd be fired for trying to form a union or join one :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

psydude posted:

When you're salaried, you're being paid for your skills and your level of responsibility.

That's bullshit, there's no valid excuse for not being compensated for all your working hours as a salaried employee, that's called exploitation.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

^^^ misunderstood you, it's cool

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Work more efficiently and don't get taken advantage of.

Mechanics work in a similar manner. They bill a set rate for set hours on a job, if they take longer, that's on them, their loss. If they work faster and finish ahead of schedule, they still get the fixed amount and can start on the next job earlier.

It's not on the employee to not get taken advantage of, it's on the employer to not take advantage of employees...

I guess that's the big legal and cultural difference here.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 9, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

psydude posted:

You're really misunderstanding where we're coming from. Legality and culture have nothing to do with it. His point is that when you're salaried or doing contract work, you get paid the same even when you work fewer hours.

He said "Work more efficiently and don't get taken advantage of", implying the onus is on the employee to not get taken advantage of by the employer. That's the part I disagreed with.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

NippleFloss posted:

You should always, as an employee, be looking out for yourself. Yes, it would be awesome if labor law or cultural standards kept employers honest in their dealings, but they don't. Some employers are great, but there are also unscrupulous ones that will not hesitate to take advantage of you if you let them. There is a pretty common attitude in America that employers are doing you a favor by employing you, and you don't have the right to ask for anything beyond the paycheck they are gracious enough to give you. The nice thing about IT is that it's important enough, and the skills are uncommon enough, that a good IT worker is not easily replaceable, so you have more leverage than a lot of employees. You should always be prepared to use that leverage when you're being asked to work for many extra hours without compensation.

If you're in a job where you are being asked to work extra hours and you have not laid out your expectations for compensation for those additional hours then you need to remedy that. Whether it's comp time, overtime, or a simple understanding that when things are busy you'll work extra, but when things are slow you're coming in late and leaving early, you need to advocate for yourself. You should also be looking for a new job consistently if you're not being fairly compensated. And when you negotiate with that new employer you should lay out your expectations and ideally get them formalized in your offer.

Labor in America has been so browbeaten that most of us tacitly accept that employers have all of the power because legally they do. But they still NEED employees for their business to function, and as much as they'd like you to believe it, employees aren't fungible. Any one isn't just as good as any other. You should be mindful of that and be comfortable letting your employer know that you're mindful of it, and that you expect to be treated fairly in return for your labor because an employment contract goes both ways, and needs to be a mutually beneficial exchange.

Fair enough. Things are absolutely legally and culturally different here, with regards to all that, but I see your point as it applies to working in the USA. I seriously wish you guys all the best negotiating that stuff and finding places that treat you fairly, it's something I could never do and am fortunate I don't have to.

Speaking of the iPhone 6, someone here just mentioned in passing that they hope BlackBerry puts out a smartwatch :psyduck:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

God I missed you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

dogstile posted:

It's almost as if most people want to unwind after working. Saying most good engineers are alcoholics or socially stunted is pretty funny too.

The worst part is, he doesn't think he's remotely wrong :v:

I love my career and job and what I do, but the very last thing I want to do, after leaving the office, is more IT. I guess that makes me a lazy idiot alcoholic or something!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Congrats!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

titaniumone posted:

Our infra group rolled out a compute cluster with monster resources - something like 80 systems each with 6-8 cores, ~32GB ram, and 10TB storage.

We were testing out a bunch of stuff with it and one of the experiments was processing data with Hadoop. As I was trying it out I noticed it was horrendously slow on any large jobs.

I found out the bottleneck was the network. All 80+ systems were connected using 1GBe ethernet.

This is amazing haha

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RadicalR posted:

Hopefully, this is the correct thread. What resources would you guys recommend for learning Powershell 4.0?

As said, the Powershell thread is a great resource and we are always happy to help or guide. I've gotten a lot of use out of this book too: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1449320686

I learned PS through a disgusting amount of practice! So get a VM you can break, and just run stuff. See what commands to, practice piping, etc.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

psydude posted:

Requirements:
-BS in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering (MS preferred)
-Cisco Certified CCNP or higher (Cisco Certified CCIE preferred)

Compensation:
-16/hr

Nice. Is the $1099 a signing bonus or something?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

psydude posted:

Hello friend! Thank you very much for reply. 1099 is without doubt best form of compensation for this position, ensuring you get most monies you are having of earned!

-Sandeep Kunash

Oh my god that's just perfect

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

We have 100% company owned and provisioned Blackberry 10 devices controlled through BES which I run. I work in an unusually secure environment though, BYOD will never happen.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Erwin posted:

I am so sorry.

It's not all bad, making them corporate owned and provisioned phones makes things a lot easier in some respects. Ultimate control, ultimate power. Blackberry at least means there are a LOT of options and policies for controlling and managing them, and security is pretty high.

BES though, BES is the reason I drink.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Basically this, I love IIS.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

I think I have rebooted a server 8 times today already while configuring ADFS related services. I really don't like dealing with windows. I think windows admins that say they actually enjoy it and thing it is good must be suffering from Stockholm syndrome. It feels like I am in some fantasy world where normal internet standards get their own Microsoft names (and there are also magical wizards to help you configure things)

I love being a Windows sysadmin and if you had to reboot a server 8 times while setting up AD FS, you're doing something wrong, it's not the OS.

vvvv It totally is, I don't use it, but 8 reboots to set up is just wrong.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 29, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Well if you're wanting help and not just wanting to complain about Windows, we have a really useful enterprise Windows thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3327309

It's full of us Stockholm Syndrome patients and we're happy to help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

He hasn't said anything that's not already known?

http://www.eweek.com/cloud/amazon-reboots-cloud-servers-to-patch-xen-hypervisor.html
http://www.informationweek.com/cloud/software-as-a-service/amazon-reboots-cloud-servers-xen-bug-blamed/d/d-id/1316093
https://gigaom.com/2014/09/25/amazon-confirms-that-ec2-reboots-are-due-to-xen-issues/