Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Are you for real? You realize the entire country lost power right? A few thousand people lost their lives.

it was like 20,000 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i want to die

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

Agile can be fine as long as you are allowed to do it as intended.

SAFe has nothing to do with Agile as it takes away several of the main characteristics to do the exact opposite. I always describe it as “waterfall project management for companies who want to say they use Agile”.

You’re basically doing 3 months (1 PI cycle) waterfall projects where the goals for that period are set in stone by Portfolio Management (ideally together with stakeholders). This makes the PO obsolete, because if everyone’s already onboard (read: forced to commit) wtf is their role besides Jira administration and maybe switching 1-2 stories out.

By going this route you take away team autonomy and they’re not self steering anymore. SAFe introduces a few extra meetings (PI planning, Scrum of Scrums, etc) which go against the “people and interactions over processes and contracts” pillar of Agile.

The way PI plannings work is that you get 3 months of work you need to refine and interact with other teams in case of dependencies and timing requirements. From what I’ve seen this hardly ever refined to a level where it’s ready to be started immediately. The stories for the first sprint usually are but after that it’s hardly ever fully clear on what/how needs to be built. Commiting to work with a high level of uncertaintity means you’re grossly overestimating how much work it’ll take. If you don’t estimate for the worst case scenario prepare for crunch time because “you committed to this in the PI planning!!” Then when all teams are agreeing with whatever the gently caress has been decided by management and have moved 2-5% to the next PI everyone is asked if they commit to this. If you don’t you can tell the whole group of people, including your managers manager (and maybe their manager as well) why their plan sucks. They’ll throw up some BS that should mitigate your concerns and ask you if you’re ok to commit if that’s out of the way. Basically peer pressuring everyone to shut up or step into the spotlight. Doing this several PI’s in a row is likely going to be a Career Limiting Move, as you’re considered a naysayer, not a team player, negative nancy.

Ultimately teams realize it’s Sad Agile For Enterprises and stop giving a gently caress as they have close to 0 impact on it. The smart ones will either quit or do whatever they want and fake it under epics, features and stories that were approved by the release train.

Lol you just described my SAFe workplace perfectly. It's so stupid.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

powershell is great

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

I love powershell, but sometimes, jesus christ, does everything have to be an object? with it's own attributes? I'm running out of pipes

yes, you need more objects, your entire life must be objects

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

"Proxmox" has to be the worst name for a product ever

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16asT9Lg2YCFkLcfktS-Zl7dN1QSOQs49tJuVITmJrNk/edit

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

What do you guys think about Fortinet

i never do, op

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

xp_cmdshell

e: oh my god it prompted me, lmao

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

when astral comes knocking I'm denying any knowledge on this thread trying to red team the forums

astral if you're reading this, it was all IE's fault

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cimber posted:

Can I bitch about using Microsoft teams?

Actually, scratch that, I'm going to bitch about being forced to use Microsoft Teams if you like it or not.

MS teams sucks, I hate the fact that it has to 'ding' every time someone messages me, and that I can't simply turn off dings for existing chats and have it on only for newly created chats. I hate

when
people
message me
like this
and every

loving millennials.

okay boomer

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I hate that poo poo. Drives me crazy.

that's so ohio of you

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cimber posted:

Skype was great. It did two features: Chat and screen share. Thats all.
Teams tries to be useful and does everything and ends up getting in its way. Basic poo poo like sharing the screen while doing a chat is really hard. Either it doesn't work, it works for some people but not others, or the red bar doesn't disappear when I am done and I have to restart the whole app.

It's also really hard to see who's in the drat chat with me, while Skype would have a useful bar on the left side showing everyone's name and status.

wtf, Teams screenshare has always worked flawlessly for me, what have you/your org done

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Try to close Teams. It really doesn't like it when you do that. It tends to just start up again for no reason.
I legitimately had to quickly knock up a script to kill the process in a loop for when I want Teams dead and just want some peace and quiet while I'm on my work machine

i just closed teams with no issue, and unfortunately reopened it, also flawlessly

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

It's strange, I've found plenty of threads online where others have the same issue. I don't know. Teams is definitely better than when it launched. I was bitter at that time because Skype for Business was simply better.
Now Teams is OK. It's still bloated, sluggish, with the odd freeze and random behaviour, but it's OK I guess. It's very much not exceptional.

i just closed teams for fun again, flawlessly, and now i'm refusing to re-open it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This conversation is totally cool here but I just wanted to advertise the CI/CD thread -
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695559

I used to check that thread but no one else seems to use an Azure PaaS/AzDO stack, also methanar used to frequent that thread lmao

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i love it when software behaves the opposite to how it's documented to behave. really keeps me on my toes. great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MF_James posted:

Intern hired 2 weeks ago attempting to exfiltrate financial data including 18 CC numbers (this is a finance intern so he should have access to this data I guess), my dude, you hosed up, you hosed up badly and I do not feel bad at all about what is about to happen because you did it in the dumbest way possible; attempted to email his personal email address (which contains his full name) from his company email with an attachment containing all the info directly.

lol jesus christ