Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

or you just use an attractive headshot. IIRC they're attached to CVs in euroland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Everyone knows when the toner hits the printer you only do 1k pages max

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

salaried while having an expectation that ends at 8:00 is inconsistent. If they do push back try to become salaried non-exempt and bill an hr every day when you check emails at 8.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

IT workers are exempt in BC too, from the regular labour laws. It's a constant point of contention here. The key isn't necessarily where you live, it's having the desire and self-respect to stand up for yourself and get a better job for a better company.

my post was worded poorly. I wanted to convey that having a duty of work end at a specific time (whether after hours or hours) is more along the line of a non-exempt salary rather than exempt. It's certainly legal to have exempt salaried people on call 24/7 if in the original contract, but when you try to make that non 24/7 or add an expectation without renegotiation you're really opening yourself up.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Those types of contracts I only see for helldesks here. I did one to get my foot in the door but was very prepared to sue over the contract if I found something better prior to a year or the company went after me for other reasons.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sickening posted:

Wage theft is a big deal in the US at least.

lol yeah the company lost an unrelated (to the cert/year contract) lawsuit for wage theft the year I worked there too.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

If I leave I'm having my new employer give me a signing bonus that covers anything I owe my current employer, problem solved. Hell, I even signed a non-compete that requires me to pay 1 months salary if I start work at an explicit IT company within 3 months of quitting. Not really worried about that.

poo poo son I don't know where you're at but if there's a lot of turn and burn you could probably get a class action going if the company has ever attempted to collect on this.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

How? Employer paying for your cert = free money to you
Bank not expecting payback on a loan = free money to you

I didn't know you could sell certs you've gained for money.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

rafikki posted:

I mean, today I'm working from home. I'm working from home because I have a sore throat, some nasty coughing, and a bit of a sniffle. I feel fine otherwise, and so I'm working from home.

and is it still PTO or are you just remote?

The former means gently caress off, even if normally on 24/7 call.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

varg please don't put in 2 weeks. Not like he'd be a good reference regardless.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A lady that old knows some cold war poisoning poo poo, ensure your skin wasn't broken. poo poo's unacceptable.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Our conference room names

First Floor Conference Room
2nd Floor Conference Room
Conference Room Floor 3

Not loving joking and they won't let me change it.

Keep it going.

Conference Room F4
Basement one Conference

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

4 floor building used to be basement 1 2 3. An elevator was installed and the engineers labeled the buttons with 1 2 3 4. They estimated a few thousand dollars to fix the floor designations, so everybody got used to the new naming convention after a few weeks of confusion.

:psyduck: there's tape and a marker

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Could be one that announces the floors and has a digital display.

Movies have taught me that those are easy to hack or change.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can always say no if an offer comes and you can voice your concerns in the interview, preferably under the guise of questions. Entry level IT does occasionally import workers.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

google music, it's not very good for podcsts

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Seems like going with it is a good way to get some reading done.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Email is not meant to be a storage platform.

We have about 60x more data in email than our DMS.

Just this year we put on a 100mb limit for one email. Before that it was unlimited.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

On the contrary, this is the week a lot of people have off and is the best time to be off as well so you can spend time with friends. That and my office is flatout closed.

nobody goes outside in this snowpocolypse without kids

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm outside in the snow literally right now, snowball fight me

hard pass I'm doing boring rote work

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I love giving randos admin rights for two days as a trial. Hope they don't gently caress production.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm so glad you posted that on the weekend.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If I were to take a job in DT San Fran hows the commute etc from affordable areas?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Will do but a little shy of 6 figures

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

oof that's worse than hong kong

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I know several people who moved out to the Bay Area and they tried to talk me into doing it too because you can make "so much money" working in tech but gently caress no. I live in NYC and it's a shitshow here but it's so much worse in SF.
That's what I'm thinking. I'll ask if the salary can be bumped up to 150k but at that point we might as well just hire some homeless tech dude who's already there. I'm always saddened when I see my brother's kitchen in NYC and I can imagine not even having one wouldn't set me off into depression.

A very nice HK apartment with a good kitchen was only 3.5k a month. I don't get the bay area prices.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's very much to prevent internal fuckery. Malicious people exist.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ahhah my first comped receipt ever was just a handwritten piece of paper that said "whiskey 105"

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I thought they were abandoning IRC.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Computers and IT were niche until just around 15 Years ago. Girls and boys are growing up with more technology that millennials ever had. Eventually STEM will change and we’ll see more women in IT. Forcing it just to force it is stupid.

They're more forced out right now. They have to excel compared to a dude to not get poo poo on in my experience.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

redeyes posted:

That's just too much to unpack with not much information. How exactly do you change the culture then? It appears every young person on social media is shouting this 'from the roof tops' as old people say. Is this going to help?

Also, is IT the pinnacle of careers? I would argue it is not. Maybe you don't fit in or get along with people in your chosen career: what's to say you can't find meaningful employment doing something else? I guess my point is life is not fair and will never be. You have to overcome and be willing to change.

IT/tech in general is the current white boys club. See the lack of salary transparency in most firms and lack of organized labor. You mentioned border patrols. It effects 200 million people and you see it as some unique hardship, lol

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 28, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Lol if HR is saying that you work for the dregs of society

lol lawfirm iirc

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

holy poo poo a drug test for that

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

MF_James posted:

I've worked at a gas distribution facility, the amount of people that should have been fired for coming to work so stoned and driving fork lifts around was insane; I watched a guy nod out driving a lift and smash into a bunch of tanks.

I should post in OSHA about the poo poo there, but I try not to think about it because the danger that facility represents to where I live and work is enormous; basically a few hundred thousand people are (unknowingly) relying on a bunch of heroin addicts to not blow them up.

a dude i did warehouse work before i got into IT didn't drug test because "those who need to score need a job" although he also packed a cooler of beer for the 1.5 hour drive back home after being dehydrated clearing out abandoned leased warehouses illegal dump zones.

Internet Explorer posted:

Good luck hiring a bunch of tech folks who don't smoke weed. You'd be limiting your hiring pool by like 50%.

poor FBI

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

is webdev a worthwhile pursuit or is the work mindbogglingly terrible?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Zil posted:

Usually depends on the customers in my experience. Also get everything in writing.
I'm too lazy to 1099, does that change things?

Volguus posted:

The work is mindboggingly terrible, but it can be a worthwhile pursuit if it pays well.
Hmm I guess a foot is out the door. I'm bored right now.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I dislike my 1 on 1's. I'm told ticket statistics. That they're good, that I do work befitting of a title promo. Then denied promos/good raises because of ticket statistics.

I lateraled into the wrong group, I'm still convinced the economy is going to implode though and this company pays well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Ticket stats as measurables might seem like a good idea, but you have to take them within the context of the organization itself. Like ticket stats should drive company improvement, not used as the sole metric of an employee's performance.

Right now, for the best statistics (which changed last week), I send and email and immediately close regardless of resolution with a note for the user to call me if instructions don't resolve. I'll miss any email response with our ticketing system, but it's the path to a promo.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

large firms really only fire on reorgs.

/e- oh new hire idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

siggy2021 posted:

My boss does this thing where he just sits in my office, dicking around on his phone. It's very awkward and I can't stand it. And I don't mean for like 10 minutes, but upwards of an hour sometimes. I can even leave my office and he'll still be there when I come back. He doesn't really talk except to occasionally show me some dumb meme. It's mostly just sitting there. This usually occurs nearly daily after lunch, sometimes more than once a day.

I definitely couldn't take it today, so I got up and walked around the building for a bit. He's gone, but he left a bunch of poo poo he brought in after he came back from lunch in here, so he'll be back.

are you an attractive member of his preference?