Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

mattfl posted:

The leaks are coming from multiple sites where you may have used your gmail address to sign up, not necessarily from gmail itself.

Appears to be correct. I did a Ctrl+F for "+" and saw quite a few "xtube," "eharmony," and spammy/free cash sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Inspector_666 posted:

I tried using it, but apparently I have to guess correctly 100 times in a row to see my own estimate, which seems dumb since if I knew what a title was worth I wouldn't be on the site to begin with.

Plus you can apparently go into negative points?!

People use the site to see their own salary. If you don't want to spend 20 minutes rating other people, you should try to guess what other people have guessed as those are worth more. The site's accuracy is skewed thanks to game theory.

Here's 100 points in 2 minutes:

Helpdesk 55k

Non-senior sysadmin/network engineer 70k

Senior sysadmin/network engineer 85k

Of course, everyone else is doing this too, so you can save yourself the trouble of signing up and just apply the above numbers to your own position.

Edit: Apparently a CCNA is worth almost six figures these days. Thanks Salary Fairy!

Contingency fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 27, 2014

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

joe944 posted:

Due to conflict at my employer, it looks like I'm going to officially be the most senior member of my very short-staffed team. I'm not willing to say exactly what happened yet as the final outcome has not been reached, but let's just say that "ninja moves" and police were involved.

Currently I'm leaning towards weathering the storm and grabbing onto as much power as I can, and possibly making the jump to management at some point. Other members of my team have different ideas and don't want to deal with the situation, so just going elsewhere would be the route of least resistance if things took a turn for the worse here. Losing just one more person would make my job VERY difficult and would almost put me into an always on-call situation, which I absolutely will not deal with.

So, any advice on how to deal with crazy situations like this, and perhaps ways to leverage to my advantage? Also, I have two job slots opening next week for sr. linux sysadmins doing web operations in sunnyvale. :)

My company was bought out, and our senior admin fled immediately. I took over the network side of operations; they didn't offer me his position, and to be honest, I'd much rather have a second voice to help fight the good fight. What happened? Management decided they were doing just fine without a senior guy and eliminated the position. Now I'm stuck with double the work at non-senior pay, and our UNIX guy has been on call since 2013. Don't be us.

I would get management to confirm that there will be an opening for his position, and definitely let them know that you're interested in filling it. If you are passed over, that's a vote of no confidence, and looking elsewhere is a much more reasonable alternative to waiting for things to improve.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

joe944 posted:

We aren't short staffed to the point of only being 1 or 2 people, but there are many issues that either myself or one of a short list of developers has to step in and troubleshoot/fix. I really can't complain much because things are running quite smoothly, I just don't have the manpower to accomplish the big project work that I want done in a timely manner. For over a year now I've been migrating chunks of our infrastructure that hadn't been touched in 5-7 years over to our puppet environment, so I have quite a few things that I'd like to see completed for reputation's sake and pride. Definitely going to be keeping my eyes open for better opportunities though.

There's Tier I work, and there's senior work. I've been doing for a year what you're planning to do (even have a list of all the things I set out to fix), and quickly found that not being in a senior role means I can't grow as much because the bulk of my day is still spent doing Tier I/day-to-day tasks. Don't be me. It sounds like your options are 1) senior work + senior pay, 2) senior work without the pay, 3) the status quo, 4) worse than the status quo. If you have the option to push for #1, even something like a team lead and not a full manager, I'd do it. I settled with #2, and pending a frank discussion with management at the upcoming employee reviews, it may take leaving to improve the situation.

Contingency fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 1, 2014

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Tab8715 posted:

On the same subject...

A few years ago I started a new gig. Before we go live, there's a eight-week training class. As always in Corporate America, everything is disorganized the trainer while totally cool is very new at her job. There's one guy will call Bob. Bob spends the majority of his time playing facebook games and socializing with the trainer. Whatever.

The last week hits and Bob realizes that he shouldn't have have screwing around. He attempts a coup, we need to go to management and tell them our trainer sucks and we aren't ready. On personal level, I'm pretty disgusted that Bob's gaming our trainer with his charisma and in my haste I called him out - maybe shouldn't have been dicking around on Facebook all day long? Bob, doesn't like this and despite being in and working for one the biggest corporations in the world tries to make it physical. He gets close, pinches me and I'm positioned against a wall. Inside, I want to destroy this person but I know he's trying to goad me into a fight. I stay slient, he ends walks back to his desk.

The rest of the class is shocked but kept silent. I thought about going to HR but there is a bit of truth to what he said. The class is disorganized, we're trained on a earlier version and on the wrong platform. It's not impossible but difficult although probably easier for myself since I've done this kind technical work before. The trainer is also really well liked as a lot of us tended to be quite adventurous in our personal lives and while unprofessional we greatly enjoyed her stories about tripping on acid downtown.

How would you guys have handled this?

First one to HR wins. You were physically intimidated by Bob, and although you don't want to make a big deal of it, you'd like it to be documented so it doesn't continue to be a problem.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Tab8715 posted:

If I go to HR, it's my word against his - right?

Right. It's also about control of the narrative. If there will be a discussion, it would be in your favor to have it be why he felt it necessary to bring in physicality more so than it would be about you participating in a heated discussion. You casting it as a problem that you're not demanding disciplinary action over lowers the odds anything will come of it, and thus require less investigation into both sides of the story.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I got burned once because I didn't bring wallet cards to an interview, but that was probably a special case of stupid.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Sickening posted:

How could that burn you? Did the interviewer not want to take the few moments it would take to look yours up?

The way the interview went was:

"You said you were certified. Did you bring your cards?"
"No, but I sent your company a link to my MCP transcript earlier."
"Cards are important. You should have brought them."

Misogynist posted:

That work environment does sound like a special kind of stupid.

Car dealership.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Tab8715 posted:

I don't know if there's a way to share it directly but search for SA IT Mentoring Group.

https://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=6535747

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Raise negotiations:

So my company got bought out a year and half ago. I stuck around and took over for our outgoing senior admin, who wasn't replaced. Employee reviews were finally conducted, and I got a run of the mill 3% increase. I tell my boss that I'm doing the job of two people right now, and that senior work warrants senior pay, so I ask for a 30% raise. He's going to get back to me next week. From what I've seen, the new company has trouble acquiring talent, and I suspect the reason is because they're not willing to pay for it. I can make a strong case for a pay adjustment, but 30% is not likely to be rubber stamped. Has anyone had success doing more than accepting the counteroffer while sending out resumes?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Tab8715 posted:

Sounds like you want to stay at your current gig but considering they're only offering 3% I'd bounce. Maybe they'll cough it up when you put in your notice maybe not.

To their credit, 3% was the annual increase. The funding for an adjustment for responsibilities would had to have come from a separate source.

Misogynist posted:

30% is a really tall order unless you were already at the wrong payscale before taking over for your senior admin.

I know it is. The way I see it, if you need an average 45 hours of network engineer a week with occasional 50-55 hour stints, it's tough to justify hiring 2x40 hours worth. If they need more than 40 from me, it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect compensation to reflect it.

Dark Helmut posted:

Devil's advocate question: Is your skill set strong enough to be earning 30% more on the open market in your town? If so, you can certainly make a move or use that as leverage. If not, then maybe look at settling for a smaller raise while you use this job as an opportunity to really solidify your standing as that senior admin, and then make your move when your stock value is truly improved. Just my 2 cents...

It isn't, but it's not terribly above market wage. The company is a carousel. Some people hopped off immediately, some were flung off, and others are clinging on for dear life. Plan B is exactly what you suggest--picking the appropriate time to step off the carousel. Odds are my next employer is going to ask two questions: what is your job title, and what is your current salary? It would certainly be worthwhile to stick around for an improvement on either front, but you also don't want to wait too long before finally cutting your losses. I could wait another six months and make a stronger case for 30%, but if all they were going to do all along is 15%, I'd have been better off rushing the next level cert and hightailing it.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

flosofl posted:

You realize there's nothing stopping you from throwing out any number you want, correct?

Legally (at least in the US) your previous employer can do nothing but say that you were, in fact, employed there from date X to date Y. They are not allowed to disclose information regarding your departure or any other information regarding your time there. They open themselves to legal action from you if they do, and no HR dept is going to willingly release that information.

I don't think that's how it works. A company is allowed to say anything provided it is true or an honest opinion. Matters of opinion could wind up in court on the basis that it is untrue, so many companies have a policy of limiting what is said about an employee. Many companies is not the same as all companies. Lying to an employer doesn't seem to be worth the risk.

evol262 posted:

The way your employer sees it, you're already in an exempt position with a formal job description which says so, with appropriate compensation.

Go on the market if you want 30%.

Don't fall into this trap of "I work more so I should get paid more". Go to an hourly job if you want that. Learn that you don't need to accomplish absolutely every thing on your plate that day, learn to comp time when you have project work that means 55 hour weeks, etc.

You're working more for nothing. Why would they pay you more?

I'm pretty sure "salary-exempt" is not code for "we own your life." Compensation is an agreement between the employer and employee. The amount agreed upon was for 40 hours and occasional overtime. Since staff were cut, overtime is now frequent. If the company now asks for more, it's only fair that I ask for more as well. If they want to own me, I expect them to pay me a fair rate for it.

I may have to, for 30%. I'd at least give them a chance to keep me, as once I receive an offer letter, my policy is not to accept counter offers.

We're past what better time management can fix. I may get 50 hours of work in a week, and I pick the 40 that get done that week. Due to lackluster project management, my availability is rarely considered in planning. Frequently that 40 becomes 45 to avoid a highly visible failure, and if something unrelated breaks (I handle both new service and support of existing clients), it's a 50 hour week. Losing a customer to teach another department how to plan better is a career limiting event. When you had a three person team, odds are someone was in a lull and could absorb the surge. With only one person, the only outlet is overtime.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Contingency posted:

Raise negotiations

Asked for 30%. Got 20% and a modest title adjustment. Not quite what I asked for, but it's market wages. The plan now is to knock out some certs and ask about that title increase in a year.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

evol262 posted:

Title doesn't matter unless your company ties pay scales to it

Titles certainly do matter--if you are applying for a III position, it's less of an uphill battle to be a II/III applying than a I. It's also important to keep pace with others in your company, lest your overinflated peer over in ABC Division one day becomes the underqualified boss in yours.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

MJP posted:

We just got the word that our main office - around 40 people - will be moving a few floors down. The space is brand new, around 15,000 square feet. We're going to have brand new everything built up - we're wiring for CAT6 (currently we're only running 100mbps just fine, but the option wouldn't hurt), doing a custom conference room buildout with better automation, etc.

My manager has asked for any ideas or input. The main office floor as it is now is open plan, basically a floor of truck brokers. Presently, our chief accountant, staff accountant, HR person, CEO, and CFO have their own offices. We in IT have two rooms - the helpdesk guy and I share an office, the boss has his.

We run Xendesk VDI, no actual desktops outside of us three people in IT. We have Aerohive for our wireless and are happy with it.

So, sysadmins - what has benefited you all in new builds? I'm thinking integrated cable management for desks would be a good thing - hooks or straps built in that we could undo as needed, rather than just cheap velcro bundles like we use now - but this is my first time having input into a build and would love to hear what'd be good.

If the goal is future-proofing, don't do Cat6, do Cat6a--Cat6 won't do the full distance of 10GBaseT. If 10Gbps will never happen, Cat5e is just as good and may save on labor expenses as it is easier to terminate.

Rack management:
Don't be like my company and add switches piecemeal. 100BaseT is fine for many users, but what happens is many is not the same as all. Billy Bob wants Gigabit, and Timmy needs PoE. Your nice clean patch panels won't stay that way as you are constantly repatching users into switches with different capabilities. Get some gigabit+PoE 2960-Xs or equivalent, patch everything once, and label/dress/bundle everything. Threaten bodily harm to anyone who favors zipties over velcro, or suggests a patch panel is not necessary.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Many phones have a switch port for a PC. If you have two drops per cube, loops are not uncommon as people plug both cables into their phone.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
The fast food places I've worked at, inspections are typically handled by an "all hands on deck" approach. Everyone gets more hours (and some regulars a lot more hours) to get everything ready. If something is overlooked, it's just a ding on the final score. If inspections occur frequently enough (not just health, but also district manager walkthroughs), things don't languish enough to warrant a health department shutdown.

At many levels, IT involves project work. There are plenty of other occupations that don't do that. Show up, clock your eight, and go home. As a "benefit" of that increased responsibility, IT workers tend to be classified as FLSA-exempt, so you don't qualify for overtime pay.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I don't know if this approach is universal, but my department was given a number like 4% in raises across the board. Assuming you have $1 million in salaries to start with, that's $40k to dole out. The general plan is to give everyone a 2.5% increase as a baseline, and high performers and individuals that started off on the wrong end of the payscale can be adjusted upwards. There's a bit of spread between earners, so that 1.5% of wiggle room can result in a not-so-minor increase for entry-level employees. The concern though is that using annual increases for merit raises hurts the rest of your department--every extra dollar that Billy Bob gets comes at the expense of everyone else. It's difficult for a manager to justify funding a significant raise from that pool.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

siggy2021 posted:

Tonight is our big Internet cut over from our poo poo ISP and a 50 Meg line to a 100 and from a VPN between sites to an MPLS network.

Everything seemed great after we swapped cables. We were immediately able to phone conference in from each site, remote into our servers at HQ from each site, and hit everything else.

Then we lost connection to the AS/400. Then HQ dropped off the conference call. Then a storm took out power at one of the remote sites.

Looks like something caused DHCP to die at HQ when they switched over. It's going to be a long night.

Is the DHCP server at HQ? If not, you may have IP helper set up and pointing to the old WAN IP or device.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Methanar posted:

I finally got to upgrade my asa5505 from 8.2 to 8.3 ( the major nat overhaul).

It took 3 minutes. Once everything came back up I did some testing, internet worked, email worked, SAP worked, mill software worked, etc etc everything seemed fine. I asked my boss to test his VPN connection, but after showing up at noon he spent the afternoon upgrading his work tablet to windows 10 and the tablet was unusable during my testing. He says don't worry about it so we both go home.

1 hour later I get frantic emails from my boss saying the mill software went down, which is internal only and never actually touches the firewall, or even a router; he cannot VPN in to work. He has me pick him up and we both go to work.
We restart essential mill software and again it seems fine. We kind of not really guess at what the VPN issue is and say it's acceptable to be down tonight and I can try to fix tomorrow. We can VPN into the ASA, but we can't actually leave the device, furthest we can go is ping the interface of the ASA. We go home.

20 minutes later text messages come in saying the mill software is down again. The vendor for the mill software can't VPN in to take a look (lol). So I might be playing taxi again to go and undo my change for real.

If they can authenticate successfully, I'd check split-tunneling and a NoNAT statement for the RAVPN client pool.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Docjowles posted:

Haha you managed to hit my two big sysadmin pet peeves. Especially DNS. Most of the time you're hired into an environment where someone else set up DNS ages ago and it Just Works so you can get by without really knowing much about it. But if something related to DNS breaks, suddenly absolutely everything is down, and god help you if you don't know how to fix it. My boss likes to ask DNS questions as part of his phone screens. Nothing scary, I'm talking like "name all of the types of DNS records you can think of off the top of your head and what they're used for" or "describe in as much depth as you can the process that happens when you perform a DNS lookup for lolwut.com" or "what is the difference between a forward and reverse lookup?". The number of Senior Sysadmin candidates who respond with "uhhhh well you give it a name and it like, returns an IP, or something... I think there are like, A records? uh huh huh huh " is pretty horrifying.

As for resources, it's something you can easily lab up in a VM at home. In Linux land BIND is the gold standard, but there's also PowerDNS which is kinda nice because you can back it with a database which is automation friendly. There are innumerable tutorials online for setting up a small BIND server for a private domain. Windows Server can obviously be its own DNS server if you prefer.

Set up a VM for caching/recursive DNS and another for authoritative. Configure the authoritative server to host int.crunkdork.com or whatever. Configure the recursor to forward all queries for int.crunkdork.com to the authoritative VM and everything else out to the internet. Configure your home PC to use the recursor as its default DNS server. Set up A records for xbox.int.crunkdork.com pointing at your Xbox's IP and see if you can ping it. Congrats, you now have more DNS experience than a troubling number of IT workers! Extrapolate from there to understand how other types of records work.

When troubleshooting why poo poo doesn't work, the dig command is your friend. Simply doing a
code:
dig +trace [url]www.google.com[/url]
is pretty interesting if you're just getting started with DNS!

There's a saying I read, possibly here, that "everyone is a network engineer until something breaks." I believe it.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Only two answers? Cowards, the lot of you.

Once upon a time, I was in the Army. I was stoplossed, bitter about it, and almost out the door, so I was given a couple flunkies with the same attitude. We were an extremely productive team, mainly because I was competent and did the heavy lifting. If I needed help, I asked them, but if I was the best person to do it, I did it. When performance reviews were conducted, I was chastised for being a ineffective leader. At the time, I thought it was BS because the mission is what mattered, and in that respect I was a top performer.

Fast forward 8 years, I'm a junior engineer. I have almost no access to our infrastructure. Company was bought out, my manager flees, the company cuts the senior role, and I'm now filling my manager's shoes. Overnight I have double the workload, and I'm starting with no institutional knowledge because documentation and setting up limited access accounts was too much of a hassle for my manager. We survived, but the company would have been better off if I had been more involved in operations. The messes left when he departed? I could have been entrusted with knocking that stuff out long before he left. As much as I like the guy, I believe he squandered his talent while at our company. He largely fell into the same trap I did. I don't believe your job is to train your replacement, but I look at it this way: in January, your company has an employee worth 40k. With the right tasks and responsibilities, that employee could be grown into a 50k employee by December. A good manager could see these opportunities and take advantage of them. Short term loss, long term gain.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

MrMoo posted:

No shock sensors on the box? I've never seen racks moved without them:

The shadier carriers will just rip off the sensors that trip and hope you don't notice.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

KS posted:

It's totally HR. Can anyone say the new hire and termination handoff is as good as it could be in your head?

Correct. Marketing begged and pleaded for a NAS that they never used, Sales contacted my boss's boss to explain why his IT issue was more important than anything else I have going on, but HR, week after week, could not understand that if we insist on a week lead time for new hires, we're not budging. "But it makes the company look bad when I hire people on Thursday and they don't have a computer on Monday!"

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
MCSA requirement could be a workplace conflict avoidance strategy. Having a metric or checkbox in place to justify the promotion heads off discussions like "why did Billy Bob get promoted to tier 2 in a month while I didn't?" as "he's not as awful as you" tends to rub people the wrong way.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

DigitalMocking posted:

I don't like it. I've never liked it. I remember sitting in a really pretty auditorium in late '98 or early '99 in the Silicon Valley while a smarmy team of Cisco and IBM sales guys told us all how iSCSI was going to revolutionize the world, super cheap, "just as fast" as FC storage, far superior to SAN fabrics in every way. FEH. What followed was 4 years of complete poo poo as people rushed into it without understanding the real impact on the network, the performance was balls awful, switches didn't have the horsepower to handle it, the first generation IBM iSCSI network cards would loving melt themselves handling the traffic. Lets not even talk about how badly most switches handled the transition to Jumbo Frame support specifically for iSCSI.

Switches today have plenty of power, its a mature, stable platform with a very low barrier of entry for small and medium businesses and I'll hate it until the day I die. :colbert:

edit: oh yeah, lets also not forget the complete shitshow that was the "microsoft storage server"

Still terrible. Our customers requesting iSCSI are the ones least capable of maintaining a stable network, and storage kinda needs to be reliable.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Our other division recommended everyone's personal cellphone be on the wireless network with direct access to company assets, to protect the O365 data on the phones. Blocking Hulu/Netflix on that network and leaving it running on the "visitor" network lets the free market sort it out.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You're being facetious, but I've never been nervous at work, I don't think. Someone should regale us with a story about a time that you thought, terrified, to yourself, "well that's it, I'm getting fired". As long as you're okay now and we can look back and laugh. If you're posting from the library, please don't.

Here's a wall of text:

Iraq, 2003. I noticed a corrupt backup, and then proceeded to overwrite system files with the corrupt backup instead of the other way around (I still blame the awful GUI for that one). Knocked out military phone/data communications for our site and supporting sites, so pretty much all coalition forces operating in the city. Since I just put our platoon out of work, I was volunteered for convoy duty to obtain a replacement drive. Drive up there was uneventful, but in the meantime, a prominent Shiite cleric was assassinated. You know those Walter Mitty types that swear they'd kick some hijacker rear end if it was them on the plane? Well, they're in Iraq too. The town is emptied out as everyone's taken to the streets in a show of force. AKs unslung, sandbags emplacements with RPKs on roofs, meanwhile we're just nudging our trucks through the crowds to get back to camp. Again, this is 2003, so our humvees have canvas for doors and covering instead of armor. Kids start showing off, first by trying to put their finger in the barrel of our rifles, then once they realized we weren't going to start a massacre, the older ones get emboldened and start reaching inside the humvee. I'm trying to play this off the best I can, grabbing their hands and shaking them while pushing them out, while the driver is frantically shouting to do something to get them to stop. Well, when you're surrounded by a mob of angry people, and some of them can empty a drum magazine into your canvas roof, turns out there's not much you can do that doesn't play out like Black Hawk Down. So I spent a few agonizing hours contemplating the notion that if anyone dies, it's on me. We all made it back though. On the bright side, I did see a kid in the crowd, no more than 10, wearing a "legalize weed" tshirt, complete with smiling anthropomorphic pot leaf. How he got that shirt was later a topic of much speculation.

0/10, would not try to replace backups again.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

psydude posted:

Where's the poo poo? Every good Army story involves poo poo in some way, shape, or form.

Sorry, no poo poo, only Shiites.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

GreenNight posted:

Just be a shut in with no friends or family, problem solved.

That was me at 18--the security guy will make fun of you for not having any friends.

Clearance still granted. :smuggo:

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
"Backslash is the one next to backspace"--worked for our users.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Vargatron posted:

Speaking of Polycom phones, has anybody had an issue to where phone to phone calls were clipping and dropping out? We don't have an on-premise server handling our phone traffic. It's all being routed out to the cloud, even for phone to phone communication. The strange thing is that calls to external lines are not affected by this issue. AT&T says it's a vendor issue, but the vendor is saying that it's an AT&T issue.

We've got a 10 MBPS connection, which is admittedly slow, but I can't see how VOIP traffic can eat up all that bandwidth. Then again I'm just a glorified DBA so I'm not sure how all of this phone poo poo works, but we get a bunch of snarky e-mails from our engineering group about the phones on a weekly basis.

Had a site with a two-node server cluster using multicast and switches that weren't set up for multicast. The raw PPS hitting each phone port as a result was overwhelming them.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

jaegerx posted:

you contribute so much, please elaborate for me.

Pretending secret clearance meaning anything is about on par with "I know kung fu so my hands are registered with the police department as lethal weapons."

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Agrikk posted:

No one does. Part of the interview process at Amazon is to get you to a place where you don't know (can't possibly know) the answer and then find out how you react. Do you shuck and jive and try to bullshit your way through the question? No thanks. Can you admit to not knowing something and demonstrate a proven ability to learn and be curious? Come on board. We have plenty of room for you.

No one can possibly know everything and it's the humbleness, openness and willingness to learn that we are after. If I am interviewing you and you start to try to bullshit your way out of a question, believe me I will hammer you on that topic. Because if you pull that poo poo during an interview, you'll pull that poo poo with a customer or on a project and the people on my team and teams like ours don't have time for that.

I've been there for over three years, working at AWS. All the stories about Amazon that you hear are probably true, the closer you are to Jeff Bezos and his pet projects. AWS under Andy Jassy is way more chill: we are exploding like crazy, making money, customers are queuing up to pay us more money for support and yet it's all pretty chill.

I am not an Amazon apologist by any means. Though I love my work here, my life/work balance is skewed heavily towards the life side, and I work with ridiculously smart people on cutting edge stuff, this place is not for everyone.

I would suggest applying and during the interview process ask some pointed questions. Find out for yourself if it's a fit. (and make sure you send me your resume ahead of time so I get the referral bonus.)

For firewalls, a good understanding of TCP separates intermediate skill from advanced. You need a solid understanding of how things work to be a good tshooter. Being able to recognize a incomplete or an aborted handshake in a connection table/packet capture gives you significantly more to work with than "it ain't working," which didn't take a network engineer to deduce.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Sickening posted:

Interviews that turn into IT trivia are a huge waste of time.

I honestly haven't be grilled with IT trivia in a while. The most I was ever grilled was at an MSP back before I knew any better. One swarmy gently caress was grilling me for the IOS commands.

:colbert: "What is the IOS command to set the time"

:derp: "No clue, I would have to look it up or use the help command"

:colbert: "So you don't know?"

:derp: "No, is that something you really have memorized?" "How often do you really need to set a clock on a cisco switch?"

I'll cop to using IT trivia.

If I ask a 5-year ASA expert the NAT order of precedence, I don't require a flawless regurgitation. I do expect an experienced candidate to have fixed NAT issues in the past, and know what to look for--by their tools ye shall know them. People that don't have a solid understanding generally take longer to solve issues and are more likely to cause them. I try to ask a good mix of questions to cover typical problems, but you'd be surprised how many people think slapping a config on a device for a few years makes them an expert.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Sickening posted:

I am the fans and heaps of other junk in there for no reason whatsoever.

Our facility manager's office was like this when he quit. Phones from PBXs past, stuff salvaged from cubes, wiring from "we need 40 drops by next Monday."

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Colonial Air Force posted:

It's more about print volume than users

Users are important, specifically self-important. If you want to make an enemy, try to take a color printer from an executive assistant.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Methanar posted:

Always blaming DNS is a lack of creativity of how things can go wrong.

The sentiment stems from "it's the network until proven otherwise." If it's not DNS, it's the server not being up. These are things that do not require a network engineer to figure out, and wading uphill through a stream of denials is the icing on the cake.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Same, but the network.

"Oh, two VM's connected to the same switch and on the same VLAN can't connect and you think it's a network routing problem?"

It's an application process. It's always an application process.

:respek:

Contingency fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 4, 2018

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

guppy posted:

Particularly as they've waited until a few hours before the event to line this up. Planning, what's that?

Pretty much. IT's unstated responsibility is to protect other departments from the consequences of their bad decisions. If you say yes, you're a doormat or "the help;" say no, you're not a team player or difficult to work with. Pay close attention to what happens when they escalate to your boss. If your boss rolls over, your team is weak and overwork is on the horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Sickening posted:

Graduates have this small window where employers will almost fight over you to get a chance to mold you into something that currently costs them an arm and a leg. Please learn to code or at the very least becomes mediocre at a scripting language before you graduate. The future you will thank me.

I can echo this. I did a stint in the military and graduated from college in my late 20s. I fell into that "no experience is better than some experience" trap and even had a recruiter refer to me as "mid-career" at a school job fair. Better to pass on 20 qualified candidates than risk getting a bad one, I guess.