Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Need some advice here. I just recently got contacted by our biggest software vendor (who I've done contract work for previously) out of the blue with them saying" we want you to work here ASAP". They also offered a starting salary that is a 60% increase over my current one :woop:, move to a much better location, etc. This wouldn't be much of an issue except that I currently do 90% of the AD work here and it's pretty much just me and my boss for 450 users. I have a huge backlog of work but the company wants me there in a month or less. I really like my boss a lot and don't want to gently caress him over or burn any bridges here. How do I break this to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

CloFan posted:

I'm being put in charge of three things soon-- Verismic (power management software), Symantec Endpoint AV Server, and the university Firewall. I don't know a single thing about our firewall setup, but has anyone here used Verismic or SAV? Any thoughts/comments?

Assuming it hasn't changed much since I used it, SAV is pretty easy to pick up. You can create custom packages and push them out to computers on a network, saves a lot of time over manual installs.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

mayodreams posted:

We have multiple users with 50GB+ Groupwise archives and one was a whopping 80GB. Mind you, 2-3GB is the max Novell recommends. We had to port everything over, and it this is hands down the worst project I've ever worked on. I could do a long bitch post, but the tldr is that users run the roost, there were no standards for accounts or archiving, and no documentation.

Bonus Fun Fact: there were no size limitations for attachments internally so there are literally messages with 1GB attachments, and people used it for a content management system for creative projects, which is how you get 80GB archives. :smithicide:

We had a migration partner that had tools for converting them an
d injecting them to O365, but the amount of work I did was/is never ending, particularly post cut with the archives that are still being found.

We finished our GW to exchange migration recently and it was the biggest goddamn clusterfuck I have ever seen. I'm sure exchange is great, but not when you have morons running it. I've shared some of the stories with another it goon and got :stare: back.

e: I hate PowerShell so much that admining our Linux servers became my favorite part of the job.

Pedestrian Xing fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 21, 2014

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Man, salarychat makes me glad I got out of my old job. Still not making a ton, but at least I won't have to empty the bank account to see a doctor. I think I might have been underpaid a bit.

e: it wasn't them trying to dick me over or anything, it was literally "we can't afford/aren't allowed to pay you anything more"

Pedestrian Xing fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 4, 2014