Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
You could be a hipster sysadmin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

Do you hate Tivoli as much as everyone I've met hates it?

Note: I've never used it other than deploying some packages.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Forbes did an article that if you stay at a company longer than 2 years, you are losing money: http://www.forbes.com/sites/cameronkeng/2014/06/22/employees-that-stay-in-companies-longer-than-2-years-get-paid-50-less/

The whole "serial job hopper" fallacy is terrible advice. There is literally no better way to spring up the salary ranks than changing jobs.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Feel free to replace "no better way to increase salary" with "no better way to increase responsibility/title".

Staying in the same company for long periods of time is treading water for most people.

three
Aug 9, 2007

People live in Missouri?

three
Aug 9, 2007

Dark Helmut posted:

Re: the job hopping thing, both sides have good points and I think the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Every company is different and views this in a different way. Small/medium typically places way more weight on loyalty, whereas bigger corps typically don't give two shits, but that's a generalization. If your work history is all over the place, all short contracts, employment gaps, etc, the first question in a hiring manager's mind is always going to be "why didn't anyone hire this guy?"

I tell my candidates that in the IT world I would try and make sure I'm looking at least every 3-5 years. Unless you absolutely love your job and have great security, there is no substitute for working in diverse technical environments. It gives you perspective and obviously exposure to a wider variety of tools/tech. I would just avoid becoming that serial job hopper, because you will likely end up losing a great opportunity at some point because it's apparent to anyone reading your resume that you will leave for the next person to offer you $5K more.

We have a big financial institution in town here and whenever they do layoffs, I inevitably end up with people who have been there 12-15 years and are used to their cushy salary and benefits, but they have been totally silo'd so they aren't marketable and have unreasonable salary expectations. I usually have to wait those people out. They had a good run, sure, but I'd always rather be able to hit the ground running and have a marketable skill set.

This guy gets it.

three
Aug 9, 2007

10 years to go to Sr Sysadmin role is a really long time, although it was not clear how long that took you.

You still have plenty of roles between Lead Sysadmin and Manager, including Engineer and Architect titles. Unless you're making 150k+ as a Lead Sysadmin, you're not capped in internal IT.

three
Aug 9, 2007

adorai posted:

That's an interesting blanket statement, having not qualified it with any location information. In my metropolitan area the number of internal IT jobs (working as a tech of some kind) that pay that wage would be extremely limited. Probably only a handful of CCIEs. I am the highest level member of IT at the 11th largest fdic insured bank in my state and I don't make anywhere near $150k/year.

You deserve a raise. 150k in internal IT with a bank in Charlotte, NC is feasible. I do not consider Charlotte a particularly crazy market, i.e. NYC/California.

That's not a sysadmin role, but an architecture role. Also, capped would not be the average but the high-end, and would be independent of location, as well. Don't live in Missouri, I guess. V:shobon:V

three fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 6, 2014

three
Aug 9, 2007

Do people in Hampton Roads work in Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Chesapeake? They look close on a map.

three
Aug 9, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Wear a suit to an interview because you are not 17 years old.

But I want to be cool.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Unrelated to the current topic, but I found out I'm having a baby girl, and it makes me really sad to know that there's no way I'd encourage her to go into IT due to the misogynistic weirdos it attracts.

:smith:

three
Aug 9, 2007

BooDaa posted:

The director of my department, whom I have worked under for the past 11 and a half years, has very suddenly been replaced. We actually thought he was fired last week but today we find out that he has been moved to a different dept in a non director position and will be replaced by the director of IT from the small private health care facility we bought a couple years back.

So my question is am I right to think that I am basically starting over here? The nearly 12 years of work and trust that I've built up is meaningless now since this new guy doesn't know me or my skills? I'm not at all afraid he will just walk in and start firing people but I'm sure he will want to put his stamp on things so it looks like he is doing something. And some of those things may not even been bad but I'm thinking I need to get my resume up to date and start looking around the area for new jobs since if I'm going to start over working for someone else I may as well do it someplace that is gonna pay me more. Or am I just being paranoid?

Why should what you did 12 years ago matter very much today regardless? Do a good job and you're fine.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Sickening posted:

While I am sure you make more when the employee gets more it still doesn't change the fact that your first priority is to get the employee into a range where the employer is going to easily accept. Your goals are just not totally in line with the employee.

Freakonomics covered this with Realtors, which may be a good comparison. Realtors typically sell their homes for 3% more than they sell others. Yes, they get more if they sell yours for more, but it takes time and it probably just isn't worth the hassle for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

The company I worked for previously moved to Dell laptops specifically because of that trackpad being so bad. v:shobon:V