Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I started the morning logging into Cpanel to check out someone's Exchange mailbox quota. I'd just put my earbuds in and as the Cpanel page appeared the Star Wars main theme started blasting. Made me wonder what it would be like if all mundane tasks were accompanied with a fanfare, like when you're switching out a waste toner bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

We have a Mood Music box for our hold music. When I was setting up the account I found that it supported scheduling and multiple program channels so per the CEO's directions it plays the Adult Contemporary channel... except for between 12am and 4am when it plays METALLLLLLLL :black101:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dark Helmut posted:

I'm 39 and I just got 3 of my coworkers by IMing them that I broke my hip and I wasn't going to be able to walk after surgery. Then I sent them the xray picture of a hip, with a really large xray phallus hanging down next it. Basically I tricked them into looking at a dick.

News flash: Penis/poo/fart humor never ever gets old.

Positive Throckmorton Sign?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

whaam posted:

Do most of you guys have a plan to move into management or project management as you get closer to 40?

"Closer to 40... " :smith:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I walk to work and my car is a 2003 VW wagon so either way I get weird reactions from co-workers. I'm either the weirdo that walks to work or the weirdo that drives an old family car. I've seen the expensive rides most of the people here have so it makes sense they would react poorly.

EDIT: My car is well-maintained and not festooned with bumperstickers or other strange crap. It's just dull.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I need to buy a car to enhance my career! :supaburn:

I just had the disturbing thought that considering how long I usually keep my cars the next one will probably be what I'm driving when I turn 60. It might be too late for a mid-life crisis car.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Can't learn nothin' in school they don't teach you on the street.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

A lot a major companies will flat-out refuse to hire anyone with "water-downed" degrees - DeVry,University of Phoenix, etc

Is this a regional thing or did you mean "watered-down?"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

I decided to take an offer for a 100% remote position (the entire company works this way). Anyone have any tips for working out of your home without going insane?

Always get dressed in the morning. Resist the impulse to free-ball it during a conference call.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Been getting up around 0430 a few times a week for years now so I can get to the gym when it opens. It makes for a long day, and sometimes in the late afternoon I have to remind myself that I worked out that day and don't need to go the next morning.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm a one man show so I don't even bother taking time off for myself. I'm about to hit the cap though so I have to burn some hours. I'm considering making it a medical day and catching up with some doctor visits since that's the only time my company seems to leave me alone.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Some day this Shoretel upgrade project is going to be over.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Turned into an all nighter due to weirdness with the distributed voicemail servers. Since my day started yesterday around 0430 I think I'll be leaving early today before my brain turns completely to mush.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

AutoArgus posted:

Dick, is this the job that was your escape to the promised land after.. Tony was it? From back in The Bad Times.

Yes, and in all fairness this job was fine for the first 2.5 years, which is longer than I spent working at the Tony place. I wasn't working too hard, had nice views out an actual window and ate free food. But from the beginning I knew there was an undercurrent of unpleasantness and as the company quickly expanded everything went to Hell in a handbasket.

It's not the worst place I've worked, it's just disappointing and frustrating and at my age I've had enough of the same basic issue: bad bosses. I think back on my life and wonder how things would've turned out if I hadn't spent so much of it working for shitheels.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

We have two large locations that have their own I.T. staff. One has its own I.T. Manager and two guys, the other place has a phone guy and an I.T. support person. They report to their site VPs. Over the years my various bosses have tried to strong-arm me into providing "oversight" of these two teams without giving me the Director title and more pay. Each time I bring up getting the appropriate title they hem and haw and talk about my basically doing what they want first and then maybe they'll make the change, as if I haven't already proven I know how to do this drat job well.

Today the VP overseeing those two sites tells me that there have been numerous prolonged network outages, bad enough that people have been getting sent home early. I haven't heard any of this, and pointed out that since none of these people report to me it makes sense that I wouldn't have been notified. He's trying to work me back into that gray area where I somehow need to know about this and provide feedback or take action to resolve things.

After over three years of pushback from my many bosses on giving me the appropriate title and compensation for this additional responsibility I'm not giving in now. Perhaps this is the situation that will make it clear to them that if they want my skills applied they need to do the right thing. Or maybe they'll just can me. I think they just spin a wheel of fortune to make these decisions.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

This got glanced over but...

If you refuse the promotion, you stay where you are and nothing changes.

If you accept the promotion you don't get the title or salary increase but despite this your for all intents and purposes a manager.

Your no longer a tech responsible for just some system or whatevers in your ticket que but an entire IT Infrastructure - which is essentially the business because we all know how important IT is...

If things go well, you can go to your supervisor and prove to them how you've prevented outages and helped make whatever systems more efficient. Then you're totally open to demanding the appropriate title and compensation.

Of course, they may bullshit you but you're still technically a manager. That's when you start applying for other IT Management positions. Granted, it may be difficult with your title but a carefully worded Cover Letter or interview conversation explaining your circumstance may just open the right door.

If you want to be even more methodical, get all buddy-buddy with your techs. When you quit, tell where you're going and open positions :evil:

I should've made it clear that my title is I.T. Manager, and I'm the sole I.T. person for the entire company outside of those two locations. So that's about 130+ people, 20+ sites, two states, etc. I have no staff.

So no one's offering me a promotion, they're just once again trying to herd me into taking this on for nothing other than their persistent disdain. I've been through three annual reviews where when I brought up that the I.T. Director is what's appropriate for my responsibilities they always say "Well let's see how things go over the next year" as if I'm some sort of probie instead a proven employee with a fuckload of I.T. management experience.

So they can give me what's right, or can me, or let me stay but keep looking at me funny or... I don't know. I'm weary of working at places where they can't do the basics. I'd love for my work challenge to be the work, not my bosses.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

NippleFloss posted:

I've had plenty of decent to great bosses. This thread can be pretty fatalistic sometimes and it leads to people thinking that there are no good jobs, good bosses, or good companies out there, so they should just suck it up and suffer. You have to be proactive about looking for those things and advocating for yourself, but they are out there.

Alternately, work to become the boss and do things the right way.

I'm 47 and I've had one great boss, one good one and a couple of ok ones. This is across decades and industries, public and private. When I was a director I worked hard to be the kind of boss I wanted and my staff told me I'd accomplished that so I've seen things from the other side too.

That said I understand my experience is unusual. Most people won't have as many jobs as me, or as many lovely bosses

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

For those with windows, dry erase markers work on glass - no need to put sticky notes on them. That way you get a nice view while game-planning.

The front of my office is glass but if I started putting up all my tasks and projects I'm afraid it would wind up like this:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm not looking forward to the deluge of iPhone 6/6+ demands I'm going to receive. That and I also hate these giant new phones. Not only do they fit poorly in a pocket but they're so skinny they're a bitch to hold.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'm waiting on the smart pants or smart hat

Let's skip that and go straight to smart underwear.

"Have you tried rebooting your drawers?"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

myron cope posted:

Is there a difference between "CIO" and "CTO" or are they basically the same thing?

EDIT: :argh:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

internet jerk posted:

I get up at 0415ish to be at the gym by 5. Work out until 0600ish. Get to work around 0800 or so and have a standing desk. A standing desk means you just slouch in a different way. I'm usually passed the gently caress out by 2100 too since it feels so amazing to sit/lay down when I get home.

What's up early bird? I get up around 0420 a few times a week to get to the gym before it opens. Cardio some days, lifting others. Also I walk a mile to work, about half is uphill. After three years of that I must be in better shape.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

dogstile posted:

I kind of missed this but how do you manage to function after you go to the gym? I've just got back from mine and i'm wiped out. I just want to sleep.

I usually don't feel beat after a workout. I take a very short nap after I finish breakfast so that helps. Also I'm old and old people are weird.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I've been seriously sleep deprived for over two years so I can function fairly normally on unhealthily low levels of sleep.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 17, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Pockyless posted:

Does anyone have a particular piece of asset tracking software they like? I'm looking for something to keep track of our hardware, but everything I've seen so far is a bloated and expensive piece of poo poo. I'll probably just roll up a simple one myself, but I was hoping there is something out there that could save me some time.

I've been writing my own in Filemaker the last 10+ years. Each time I change jobs I rewrite it and it gets a bit more fleshed out. My current one tracks hardware, software licenses and cellphones. I can pull an employee up and see everything assigned to them, and then click on those items to see if there's software associated with them. Or I can go in through the hardware or software tables and do the same from there.

This allows me to keep a full history on each piece of equipment. Comes in handy when I want to see if something's been repaired, reformatted, swapped between employees or locations, that sort of thing.

The hardware section tracks purchase date and cost for the accounting people as well as warranty info so once a month I can run my own warranty report to see if any need to be extended.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Some days my own version of Stronglifts, other days cardio. I think I do cardio more often than lifts now.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

psydude posted:

Who else's leadership is freaking out about ShellShock today right before the weekend?

I'm in the clear until someone looks at Yahoo news.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Never mind

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 26, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I took a tour today of my new employer's largest location.

I think I might be working at Aperture Science. No portals or companion cubes were in plain sight.

Also my candidate for weirdest thing I've ever found in an MPOE:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

flosofl posted:

Do they blow stuff up? It looks like they blow stuff up or break things.

You may be the new Sr. VP at the coolest place ever.

If that room is in use and you aren't part of it you will definitely be told to :frogout:

GoatShaver posted:

I could use some general advice here.

Got approached by a headhunter regarding a director position, which is awesome, but almost makes me nervous as poo poo because i'm not really sure how prepared i'd be for the job. The technical side of things I think i'd handle just fine, but its the actual budgeting/forecasting/business side of things that I feel like i'm lacking. I'm sure I could learn on the fly, but also not sure how great of an idea that is. Any suggestions on books/info I can read up on and get a better grasp on things? For the first time in a long time i'm a bit overly nervous, but love the idea of the challenge. Gut tells me to just go for it.

I made the jump from I.T. Manager to Director many years ago. I was lucky to do it somewhere fairly small where I had some assistance with the budgeting side, but if you're going to be thrown to the wolves in a larger place that level of responsibility can break you. By the time I got to a $500k budget I felt comfortable, but if I'd started there I think I would've fumbled it.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 6, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

"Is your board of governors a bunch of shitheads?"

I worked at a non-profit for four years and the governors (all 50 of them) were a pain in the rear end, multiplied by the chair usually being a prima donna. It was like having two parallel sets of management.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Being out of your comfort zone can be a good opportunity to learn new skills if they can tolerate your learning curve. Most of my learning has been when I had to stretch.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm at the end of my first two weeks and I woke up to find my first paycheck has already hit direct deposit. Since I no longer have to pay for my health coverage and I'm not yet in the 401k this check was about 50% bigger than what I got at the last place. If they keep giving these to me I might keep coming back.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

We're using RCloud for VM DR. Haven't had a chance to dig into it yet but it looks nifty.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

orange sky posted:

The market looks at maximizing short term returns and that's most of the times contrary to what is actually beneficial to the company.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Don't despair! Although my BA is in History that didn't stop me from spending the last 15+ years in I.T. bobbing like a cork, my spirit being crushed over and over as my fortune waxed and waned.

JOIN US :black101:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Bhodi posted:

It sounds like you hate working, don't worry in a few more years you'll barely even feel it anymore

Haha you horrible liar you. That's the bourbon talking!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It's the same in that you will wind up hating the users.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This is what $9k looks like, or $10k if you include that Thunderbolt display.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

KillHour posted:

I know that people have a thing about Macs, but it's going to be obsolete in 3 years, just like any other workstation, anyways. I just don't see it.

What are the specs?

Xeon E5 12 core 2.7 with 64 gigs of RAM. User was demanding MORE POWERRRRR so I specced out an HP desktop that supported dual CPUs. I was going to get him something like 24 cores for barely more money and he decided it would be too loud so he went for the Mac.

His stats work is critical so the CEO had already gotten involved to say "Get him whatever he wants" and he wasn't kidding. Paid for the Mac Pro and dual displays on his own credit card.

Having recently revived three of the old Mac Pros that weigh a goddamn ton it was a pleasure dealing with this new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Just short of three weeks and I'm in an office. No more camping out in a conference room. It was hard to settle in without a place for my stuff.