Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Llab posted:

I started at my new job a couple of weeks ago, and I've started some of the beginner level online training. I think it's a wee bit out of date, though

"A PC is defined as a File Server by running a server operating system, e.g. Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Novell Netware 6.5."

I'll grant you that I have already seen people running XP at one of the sites I've gone to, but I've never even heard of Netware.

My degree in 2000 had a mandatory Netware class attached to it :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

beepsandboops posted:

These sales emails are the worst:

Hey, pop back into IRC. Let's do lunch soon.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

goobernoodles posted:

It's pure dog poo poo. Never again. The firewall portal is ungodly slow. One of my biggest reasons for bringing it back in house is that it's at BEST a 20 minute endeavor just to edit/create and commit a firewall policy change. For me anyway, dicking around with firewalls is usually a bit of trial and error until I get things functioning the way I want, which means what should be a 15-30 minute task easily gets blown into something I simply don't have time for and end up calling their understaffed support team.

Yikes, I sit by our networking guys and they get irritated when it takes 5 minutes. I can't imagine what that is like for you.

BTW - Are you in PDX or SEA?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

mewse posted:

Passed a 3hr Shoretel certification exam this morning. Feels good man

Nice! I am hoping we move to something else soon, but we still have Shoretel.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

beepsandboops posted:

My boss just came back from VMWorld and said that when he described our environment to people he met, quite a few people told him to get another job.

Probably doesn't bode well for me.

Hey we're looking for some people, message me.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

Never become an IT project manager. What was I thinking?

:saddowns::hf::saddowns:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

A guy hit me and a couple coworkers on LinkedIn last night, his last name is Butt and he's from India. I declined.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

adorai posted:

for reference, at our primary location we have 6 hosts, 30TB, and 225 VMs. We replaced 20U of netapp with 3U of Nimble and increased our performance.

That's... impressive

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

mewse posted:

(Can't find a VoIP thread)

For any of you godforsaken Shoretel admins, I figured out how to configure the NTP server on phones since you can't provide the address via DHCP. You need to edit the ___custom.txt file in the FTP repo to put in the line:

code:
SntpServer 172.16.0.10
We use 230's, 212k's, and 230g's which are sevcustom.txt, s12custom.txt, and sevgcustom.txt respectively.

That's cool, we usually configure them manually when adding the FTP and VLAN.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

mewse posted:

VLAN?

Our ISP for most of our offices provides Junipers and we were able to get them to put option 156 into the Juniper config for the DHCP pool so that our phones pick up the FTP address automatically. The only thing we were configuring by hand was NTP but with the line I just posted we don't have to do that anymore either. Just plug in the phone and it goes.

Yeah it's dumb, they use a custom DHCP option 156 to specify the control server IP, or if that option isn't available (watchguards) it can fall back to the DHCP option to specify a TFTP server.

Nothing to specify NTP server via DHCP tho.

We have our voice traffic tagged. Not my thing, our network is... a special kind of snowflake. If they could get our routing to allow the phones to get on the FTP server automagically I would be so happy!

Our support contract is up and we are looking at other solutions now. I'll probably still have to manage it :sigh:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Sickening posted:

Vlans are just good in general.

I am confused on what your problem is. Are you not handling your own dhcp or are your vlans totally segregated? Seems like an easy solution either way.

Our network is so janky, spread over multiple sites, that we cannot seem to get things working from the server side pushed to the handsets so I have to configure new phones manually. It's not really a problem I can solve and we haven't added any in a long time so it's really just a gripe. We are likely moving to something else soon, so no big deal. However, I did discover today that Edge won't open our ShoreWare Director page in any useful manner. Huzzah!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I took a counter offer about three years ago that was an actual promotion and raise, but I understand it's very rare. I am still there :)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

gently caress ShoreTel.

gently caress ShoreTel.

gently caress ShoreTel.

In short, gently caress ShoreTel.

:hf:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Curious, how is the Pacific Northwest for IT positions at the moment?

(Not Development)

In Portland, it's decent:

http://portland.craigslist.org/search/sad

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

NippleFloss posted:

They are. Every NetApp rail kit has one of those in it.

I have two in my desk drawer for racking crap. They are so nice to have for everything.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

Hahahhahaha $30k... retirement... hooo boy haha ha hahha.... heh.

Your moderator icon is FANTASTIC

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Pendent posted:

I haven't posted in or followed in this thread since my days when I was first getting my career in IT started but I remember you lot seeming like a pretty smart group.

For a variety of reasons I am currently looking at moving on from my current position on the network team for a software vendor. I've actually had a surprisingly difficult time finding something new within my skillset given that I'm in a fairly major metropolitan area (Portland, OR) but I finally have a good solid bite from a small ISP.
At least thus far they don't seem to mind too terribly that my experience is alnost entirely with interior routing protocols- specifically EIGRP- instead of the BGP they almost certainly use.
As I've been doing my research on the company I've been realizing more and more that I really don't know what the warning signs are with these smaller companies. It looks to me like they resell a lot of services for other providers in the area and looking at their office on Google maps they really are quite small, but from speaking with one of their managers for a phone interview it does sound for sure like they have their own physical infrastructure so if does seem like they are the real deal.

From everything I can see these guys look like a good fit for me right now but I really want to go into this with my eyes open. Any advice?

Seconding that you come hang out in #oregoons on synirc, and you can PM me if you want - I work for an ISP in the PDX area that made the transition to Cloud Solutions and would be happy to chat.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

They want $3,000 dollars for just the pro version? Are they taking the piss?

Someone is becoming a Michael Bisping fan...

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

jaegerx posted:

For $220 an hour I would let trump penetrate my rear end on live tv while giving shouts out to my immigrant parents.

You'd only get paid for the 5 minutes and the video would last forever...

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Docjowles posted:

I'd argue that it looks good to have both titles on there. It shows you got promoted, which is awesome and reflects really well on you. Just make the section about the lesser role super small and focus on the more impressive one.

I am being laid off next Friday. I have been here for almost ten years, and I have had four different titles. I think I will split them up and expand upon the more glamorous recent ones while minimizing the earlier entry level stuff. The previous employer will be at the very bottom, showing my last thirteen years of employment history.

:sigh:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Jesus Christ guys, just go home and talk to your wives or something.

:stare:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I can't find cubs games at any bars. No one has the channel, since there are now 2 wgns, and the one that shows cubs games is local only.

I have on fact tried, and stopped going to several bars on the basis of this.

MLB.tv and a VPN if you are in Chicago. Works like a charm.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

psydude posted:

Comcast's combo units are loving awful and you should just buy your own modem and router anyway.

gently caress letting them put a wifi hot spot in your house.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

RE: Ticketing systems. I used BMC FootPrints at a previous job, and use Kaseya now. Kaseya isn't horrible, and the remote connections and agent/patch management is really slick. It kinda blows as an actual ticketing system compared to FootPrints (which might just be because of the way it was set up), but it's usable.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Uh oh, don't get too cocky now. CYA and get proper sign off. Point to your success moving the other environments, but CYA, because the one time you don't get the right signoff is when poo poo will go sideways on you.

Quoting for truth

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

Don't hire friends.

Don't refer friends.

:(

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

You're the exception to the rule.

:unsmith:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

We have 22 remote locations - I was curious what anyone is using as a backup access solution, like cellular or?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

anthonypants posted:

I thought you had an MPLS between these sites?

We do, they also want to investigate another option as extra redundancy.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Do they know that's going to cost money?

Yes

milk milk lemonade posted:

The real question is what's your budget? How much bandwidth do those offices use? Could you use broadband from another carrier? That's essentially what I'm advising with the Cradlepoint/4G setup I'm around now. The first Cradlepoints were installed and could only handle a single VLAN, and before they signed off on upgrading I said why don't we look at 4G costs. One day for one site for this company could run as high as $15k.

If you can afford it it's actually pretty cool. The folks I'm working with now cannot haha

We had a site (one of two that do not have MPLS) that was down for most of Friday due to an after hours Thursday night unplanned switch maintenance (not by me). They lost literally Thousands of Dollars, so as long as that is fresh in their minds, cost is secondary.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

If you have MPLS, why not use something like Comcast or a cable connection as backup? It will be a lot cheaper and more reliable in a failover than a cell modem.

Some of our sites do have that as their Internet Circuit. This is a knee jerk reaction to last week's event and I fully expect that I will spend hours on this to have someone veto it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

milk milk lemonade posted:

Then go check this out: https://cradlepoint.com/products/arc-cba850 and call whoever can offer 4G/LTE/whatever and get pricing.

(Please note I have no idea if there are better failover options out there and I once saw one of these revert to factory settings in a datacenter and start handing out DHCP addresses across 18 sites :laugh: )

Thanks for this :)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

The Fool posted:

How does one manage Sharepoint permissions and still maintain their sanity?

Alcohol

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

MF_James posted:

I prefer this: Work ing IT 3.0: Tell him to lay off the coke, or share.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Has anyone dumped tapes entirely and gone to cloud storage for archiving?

It sounds simple in theory but I'm looking for real world experiences.

I've been looking at the slow cloud stuff like Amazon Glacier and would love to read about this as well.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Making mistakes is the best way to learn. This is why I make sure to make so drat many mistakes, I love to learn.

:same:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Does anyone here use Veeam to push backups to AWS or Azure (or elsewhere)?

I'm trying to put together a solution to replace our current 'physical tape-to-iron mountain' routine. Right now we use EMC Networker for the physical tape backups, but we do have a license for Veeam and from what I've been reading, the AWS VTL storage gateway looks promising. We also have a regulatory requirement to keep monthly backups of customer data for 7 years, so the ability to archive virtual tapes to glacier looks good for keeping long-term retention costs down.

Anyone have any guidance or resources on this subject? A lot of what I'm finding doesn't go into great detail. Veeam's cloud connect options seem expensive and I don't know if I want to rely on an additional 3rd party.

I would like to read about experiences in this as well please.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I shut my work phone off yesterday for vacation, feels good.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

I love my job.

I love the people I work with.

I have some serious 'white girl' level problems with the current Director of IT. He's a little passive aggressive and makes some very strange spending choices, but compared to some technology leaders our biggest issue is he's too involved rather than not knowing poo poo.

The only problem I have is that senior staff salaries tend to just die off. There's no raises beyond a static 2% year regardless of your performance review once you crest 6 figures. I'm between 30 - 80% underpaid in the current market (depending on the level of responsibilities in the jobs in question) and I'm really hoping the new HR team is going to unfuck some of this. There's evidence they are, some other folks have had reasonable near market adjustments. I've been told mine is in line for the new fiscal year starting October 1st.

I honestly don't think I'd leave even if they don't do anything, I love where I work, I love the freedom and flexibility and the people are top loving notch, but man, and extra 50k/year... it's so tempting.

Oh god what have I done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

There is, and it's to make it legal+HR's problem. You are not lawyers, do not pretend to be.

This right here is correct.