Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Was it alive? Bad deal man.

Killed that morning. I had a professional butcher in my platoon who cleaned and cut it. We actually probably did get ripped off, but we'd been eating rations for 7 days at that point so we decided to splurge a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Been salaried since I graduated college. Have only worked on weekends on 4 different occasions for several hours at most and was given comp time as a result.

When you're hourly, you're being paid for your time. When you're salaried, you're being paid for your skills and your level of responsibility. The latter is always more economically advantageous unless you're working direct labor for a client.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's bullshit, there's no valid excuse for not being compensated for all your working hours as a salaried employee, that's called exploitation.

Huh. I'm talking about determination between how compensation is calculated. By federal law, salaried employees working over 40 hours per week are supposed to be compensated. The difference is that if I work less than 40 hours per week, I still have to be compensated for 40 hours. Do companies always follow this? No. But being paid for your time is almost always a worse deal than being paid for your skills or for a product.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not on the employee to not get taken advantage of, it's on the employer to not take advantage of employees...

I guess that's the big legal and cultural difference here.

You're really misunderstanding where we're coming from. Legality and culture have nothing to do with it. His point is that when you're salaried or doing contract work, you get paid the same even when you work fewer hours.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Finally got my start date at my new position (the 22nd). Now to tender my resignation at my old job, which should be easy because I haven't actually worked there since August of last year.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Where did you end up landing, still in DC/VA area?

Yeah. I try to get out, but they keep pulling me back in. I actually ignored the initial email from the recruiter because the position was out in Leesburg and I wasn't really qualified for it, but then she followed up with a call. Despite being perfectly candid about my qualifications during the interviews, they apparently loved me and decided to throw a bunch of money at me to go work there. Go figure.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Where in the states?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Okay so apparently my grad program is requiring me to take another math course in addition to the calculus that I took in undergrad before I can actually begin taking the master's level courses. Looks like I'm going to be taking freshman statistics at community college this spring.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know what's available in your area but I'd check if any of the local CC's offer 100% online classes. If you just need the credit, do a straightforward class online, just do all the work, turn it in and get credits at the end.

I'll check, but it's $450 for the class at the CC so I figure I'm going to be hard pressed to beat that anywhere else

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hello! I am having of great opportunity in Carlisle, PA for a 6 months contract working as an Sr. Network Engineer!

Responsibilities:
-Man phones on rotating shift basis
-Terminate network cables
-Resolve tickets in expedient fashion
-Serve as first line of support for end users

Requirements:
-BS in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering (MS preferred)
-Cisco Certified CCNP or higher (Cisco Certified CCIE preferred)

Compensation:
-16/hr

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Ah, so you'd have to have your on-prem environment sync'd to whatever your cloud service timing is set to.

If this is an issue, you should be able to ask customer support which world clock they use for NTP.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nice. Is the $1099 a signing bonus or something?

Hello friend! Thank you very much for reply. 1099 is without doubt best form of compensation for this position, ensuring you get most monies you are having of earned!

-Sandeep Kunash

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

New job is soooo stereotypically Northern Virginia IT. Buncha libertarian unix and linux neckbeards calling Windows "Windblows," talking about guns, and making fun of one another. Still have no idea what I actually do, but I'm getting paid, my boss is super chill, and everyone I've met so far is 1000% less terrible than the people I worked with in Afghanistan. I saw my PM wearing jeans today, too, so I think I can get away with it on Fridays maybe. Oh yeah, and they're sending me to a SourceFire course, which is pretty neat.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

internet jerk posted:

Maybe I work in a vacuum or something but I've worked in "Northern Virginia IT" since 2007 and that doesn't sound like my experience. I don't work in contracting though. Oh and I can't imagine the shitbirds you must have had surrounding you in Astan.

Sourcefire, are you in the security group?

I think being in contracting definitely has a lot to do with it. And yeah, I'm working in a security operations center. Literally every piece of hardware and software is different than what I used before at DoS, other than the Cisco switches.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

internet jerk posted:

How does being a sysadmin qualify you to be a "Security Analyst"? Also what does that mean. Intrusion analyst, security engineering, pentesting?

All of our stuff is pretty *nix heavy. He might not necessarily be outright qualified to be an analyst, but he could definitely be an operations engineer that interfaces with analysts.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Silly me thinking engineer is higher than analyst

internet jerk posted:

It is where I work; analyst however is in higher demand across the industry so there's that as far as getting a job or choosing what to focus on in security.

That's kind of like saying that a network engineer is higher than a developer. They're different jobs. Analysts look at the data and draw conclusions from it, while engineers design and implement the hardware and software solutions that the analysts use to gather data.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

internet jerk posted:

Psybro of course they're different roles. Our sec engineers have a higher grade/salary, it's not a linear ranking system of CPL > SGT or whatever and they aren't above us but yes.

E: Analyst isn't something you spend your entire security career doing either, in most cases. Unless you want to be some tier 3 super lead threat center analyst guy then most people leave that for penetration testing or the engineering architecture side. Analyst time does nothing but benefit you regardless of the path. What I'm trying to say is you see analyst to engineer moves. Not often you see an engineer move into an analyst role.

I agree. My point was that he could probably bypass the analyst role entirely and go straight for engineering with enough Unix experience and a bit of security knowledge.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Who else's leadership is freaking out about ShellShock today right before the weekend?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We knew about it quite literally as it was being released to the public, so we were proactive as poo poo; however it's slowly starting to trickle up to higher levels of management, all of whom are increasingly worried.

Detecting and blocking it right now depends on signatures. But the real problem will be everything that's not behind an IDS.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Contingency posted:

Edit: Apparently a CCNA is worth almost six figures these days. Thanks Salary Fairy!

Couple years of experience + CCNA + secret clearance in DC will net you around 100k, so I believe it. Despite the doomsayers, it seems like infrastructure jobs, along with their salaries, are continuing to explode in all of the major tech hubs.

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 29, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Management is freaked out by Shellshock and wants us to stop running FreeBSD and switch to RHEL despite the fact that it's the foundational OS behind our proprietary packet capturing system. And also despite the fact that FreeBSD is more secure than Linux.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 2, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

poo poo, if you're sick enough that you need to use 8 weeks of PTO then your ST disability insurance should be kicking in instead.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What? You can totally ask questions about bring married and number of kids.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Interesting. I knew that making decisions based upon marital status/kids was illegal, but I didn't know it was illegal to ask about.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, what? It's illegal to discriminate or base employment offers on any of those things, so sneakily getting an interviewee to admit that information could actually get the company in legal trouble or a human rights complaint. A good interviewer would never do that, and actually has to take care to NOT do that. Maybe America is different I guess.

I like this dream world you constantly bring up where you somehow think everyone follows the rules and doesn't make decisions based upon their own prejudices and moral code.

It's obviously illegal to discriminate based upon X, but good luck ever proving it, especially when you volunteered the information.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 6, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not a dream world, it's actually how things are here, I'm sorry you don't agree with it though. I "keep bringing it up" with a mention once a month or so when a discussion like this happens because this thread is very America-centric, and believe it or not, things are different elsewhere in the world and not everyone here is an American.

LOL if you think companies in other countries are somehow more saintly than American companies.

e: The bottom line is that organizations will pretty much always take advantage of you or anyone else to the maximum extent they can without being overt. Some countries may do a better job of forcing transparency to this end, but rest assured that it still happens.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 6, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SDN will probably hybridized a lot of DC jobs, but a lot of network engineer jobs are in areas that probably won't be too affected by SDN: POP sites, NOCs, campus/corporate environments, wireless, and consulting.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

What do you mean by hybridization of DC jobs?

As mentioned previously, network engineers doing a lot more virtualization.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

whaam posted:

This is where I am now. We have two very small "datacenters" with vmware networking, but for the most part its routing and switching spread across a large WAN with many branches. I don't see SDN impacting disjointed geographic networking nearly as much as dense datacenters where they are already using network automation and provisioning ports on a daily basis. The issue though is even if you own job is safe, if layoffs in the big datacenters saturate the market with qualified engineers looking for work, its no good for anyone.

I doubt we'll see layoffs in data centers any time soon. This technology is becoming commonplace because data centers are expanding faster than their support staff can efficiently manage, so this is a way of reducing the time and complexity of the DC network. There's new data centers springing up everywhere, and as more and more of the world becomes connected it will only increase the demand for infrastructure jobs. The difference will be the skillsets those jobs require.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

spiny posted:

not sure if this is the right thread, but what routers do you guys recommend for small busineses that need remote worker VPN ?

We currently sell on Draytek Vigors - 29xx or 28xx depending on whats on offer at our supplier, but although these appear to be good quality, they are still pricey.

We set them up so that I can VPN to their network from any PC and thus get to the UI of their phone system / call logger / server etc. without having to do complex port forwards / redirects.

do TP-Link etc do routers that support PPTP VPN ?

Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm looking for a generic Powershell script to SSH into multiple *nix devices with multiple passwords and execute multiple bash commands. Anyone got one?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

adorai posted:

does it have to be powershell? putty has a scripting engine and can use keys.

I knew you could pass commands to plink from PS, but I didn't know that putty actually had a scripting engine of its own. I'll check it out.

CLAM DOWN posted:

You can't do that natively in Powershell. Are you looking for a free solution? There are various PS SSH modules out there that you can import, google "powershell ssh module". I've occasionally seen paid products that can do this too.

Yeah, it has to be free.

jaegerx posted:

Python an option?

Possibly. We use VDI to access our management network and our sysadmin/desktop guy is a little skittish about installing things. I guess I could throw it on one of our jump boxes, but I'm trying for a solution that I can just run from Windows.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

For organizations that don't deploy windows updates to desktops immediately after release, how do you keep the latest security threat out?

Depending upon your organization's size and budget, most IDS/IPS manufacturers will usually expedite the release of signatures to detect major exploits soon after they're discovered. Generally, your security analysts will specifically look for those exploits during your testing and evaluation phase for patches. This can be an imperfect solution if the exploit is so simple that it would generate a large number of false positives, but it's usually the best tradeoff between breaking your production environment and leaving everything completely unprotected while testing is under way.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Stupid poo poo is not ok.

On the flipside, the FBI will fire you for smoking weed but beating your wife is acceptable.

A lot of agencies are reconsidering their prior use policies (CIA has the lowest at 12 months) since so many IT people have smoked week/taken shrooms/bumped some molly before.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dark Helmut posted:

I totally DaF'd this thread...

Hey, speaking of CF and the area where you recruit. . .

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Drunk Orc posted:

I've always kind of assumed that help desk and desktop support are the same thing. Obviously the differences in positions will vary from org to org but in general what separates these two roles?

Helpdesk is usually triage and first-line questions. Problems that can't be handled over the phone are usually handed off to desktop support or escalated to the infrastructure people. The roles can be combined, but in larger organizations they are usually separate.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I just dislike terrible, incompetent people, young and old alike.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Had to come in to work at 5:30 yesterday for a critical service outage (our DBAs worked from 8am the previous day until 6am that morning) and in the process discovered how much more pleasant my commute was. Decided to shift my start time to 7am from 8, and holy poo poo, in addition to there being basically zero traffic, I'm also getting so much poo poo done without the distraction of my coworkers.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think the big difference is due to the lack of loving schoolbuses on the road. Apparently, kids these days can't be bothered to walk a quarter mile to the bus stop, so the single-lane rural highway that crosses from MD into VA gets clogged by yellow clots stopping every 200 feet each morning on the VA side starting at around 7am. Thus, my commute was only 35 minutes instead of 60.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sheep posted:

I recommend to my people that they enroll in a (reputable) community college and do classes there if they want to advance without necessarily chasing vendor certifications and want to get hands-on experience with things that we don't work with on a daily basis in the company. Lots of people use stanly.edu which offers pretty much the exact same curriculum I did (also being in North Carolina) for one of my Associate's degrees, so I can vouch for most of it being pretty solid, obviously depending on which instructor you wind up with. For example Stanly's Networking Technologies degree is basically "CCNA: the Associate's degree".

Before you go doing this with networking, make sure that you ask about how much CLI time you'll be getting. I've encountered a few network techs/admins with degrees in "networking" that had never done any sort of CLI work.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So I've got some consulting opportunities coming up and I've been thinking about starting an LLC for them. Anyone done this before? Did you list yourself as a 1099 contractor in order to get paid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Total Meatlove posted:

People powering dual corded devices from the same PDU. That's resilient right? :bang:

Haha, story time. So our infrastructure here looks like something that was built by a bunch of highschoolers on their big final project for their Introduction to Computers class. Like, it's so bad that it needs to be entirely redone. Anyway, my boss and I had just received new management servers for our IPSs and were setting them up. We racked them in the SAN rack because there was some space free, and then went to plug a monitor into the back center PDU (note: we didn't plug in the servers yet), however for some reason it's not turning on. Hmm, that's odd. 2 minutes later, the sysadmin and a bunch of security operations officers come running in about how our VDI environment is completely down. The sysadmin said that he thinks the domain controller is down, so I ask him where it's located. He gives me a blank stare. Then, I ask him where the server manifest is. Again, nothing. At this point I tell him to try to log in to vSphere, but he informs me that he doesn't have the password for and and that the KDB file is on a VM. Fan-loving-tastic.

In the course of this, I notice that one of the SANs in the rack where we were working is off. I ask him if that's the storage for the ESX environment and he tells me that the ESX servers are located two racks over. I tell him that I'm aware of this, but that ESX hosts usually use some kind of separate storage. One of the DBAs comes in and we figure out that the SAN that's out is most definitely the storage for the VMs. I go around back to check out the power situation and find both power supplies from all 3 drive shelves and one power supply from each controller plugged into a dual 20 amp 110v PDU. What's more? There's no other replacement PDUs for that one and there's no space on any other PDUs. Also come to find out that the breakers are unlabeled and there's no wiring diagram anywhere in the facility, so I had to do a manual trace through the floor to find out where this line runs.

Finally, the decision is made to just plug one of the PSUs from each shelf into the single PDU with 3 free plugs in the next rack over (I actually took the time to add up the load on the circuit). Everything comes back up, but now the ArcSight database is corrupted, causing our DBAs to work until 6am the next day on trying to fix it. And today, there's a ton of problems with VDI because the sysadmin never bothered to reboot the ESX hosts after the storage array came back online. Oh yeah, and the federal manager sent out an email saying that my team (made up entirely of security and network engineers) is going to be the "power team" in charge of the redesign of the power. You know, rather than hiring an actual electrician or even an electrical engineer to come in take a look (we told him no).

psydude fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 23, 2014