Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm in the Chicagoland area. I'm working with a recruiter right now and he has given me a couple OK leads, but nothing that is making me leave where I'm at right now. However, he is constantly asking what I'm making at my current job because "When I'm is asked, I need to be able to provide a number and justify why you're (me) worth" [current salary] + X amount more. It sounds like a bunch of crap to me, and I dodged that question and said "Well, I'm looking in the Y to Z range" which was fine for the first part of our conversation, but at the end he asked again and said "Well, the HR department at your next job is going to ask and find out, so it's in your best interest to be honest with me." I don't mind letting close friends know what I make, but I don't tell it to complete strangers that call me out of the blue for a job I applied for 3 months ago. I don't know, it just seemed really annoying that he wouldn't get off of what I make now, even after telling him that the same job in two different industries will pay completely different, it's not just about salary but the total compensation package, and my current salary has no impact on what I'm looking to make in my next role, all that good stuff.

Is this pretty common with recruiters, asking to know your current salary? Do I just have a lovely recruiter contacting me (my gut says yes)? Do any of you have good recruiters/companies that you know/have worked with in the Chicagoland area that you would recommend?

I actually know a recruiter that's based in the chicagoland area, she does generalized recruiting for the whole area, it does not answer your questions but she is a good friend of mine and will be very helpful provided she's got jobs you're looking for. PM me if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Driving home from a 16 hour day to an angry girlfriend, can't win at work or at home. Also have to be back in the office in 8 hours and it takes an hour to commute in the morning. serenity now, insanity later.

Also construction taking a highway down to one lane :(

MF_James
May 8, 2008

dogstile posted:

Why are you going in that early after 16 hours of work?

Bonus chat: Don't take it into account. I argued with my boss over this about half a year ago when he wanted to give me my entire raise as a monthly "bonus" instead of base salary. He tried to tell me that they always give out the bonuses and that that never take it away. He just wanted an "incentive" for people to come in rather than stay off if they have a "headache".

I argued that he might as well stick it as base salary if he was going to pay it every month and put a bonus on top as that's how an incentive works. He agreed. First time I took a sick day, he took the bonus away.

Don't believe what they say, get it as base salary or don't count it.

I'm working 2 jobs in the same office, had to pick up extra hours because I need more money. Normally I'm not there till midnight, I normally get out at 9ish

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Got promoted to Sys Admin a few days ago.

The first thing I'm handed? Upgrade SEPM, get a new certificate and remove Symantec Protection Center.

Cert is no problem, the new version of SEPM broke some stuff that I got fixed, but removing SPC was not a good choice. I was worried when the instructions given to me BY Symantec support involved deleting a bunch of registry keys that didn't sound like they were only for this SPC nonsense. Boy I should have listened to my gut, I've now wasted a few hours trying to fix our QA environment and I'm nearing the end of the tunnel, but it's still irritating.

I feel like my liver is not going to be my friend in a few months if I have to keep managing SEP.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

psydude posted:

I usually ignore numbers I don't recognize after hours anyway. They can gently caress off and die (or just call the helpdesk).

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Misogynist posted:

Indian coders rightly get a bad rap - the differences in culture, language and and timezone will always make things really weird - but I wouldn't discourage anyone from looking for development resources in Latin America. Some of the best developers I've ever worked with have been remote from Uruguay, Argentina, and Panama via global outsourcing companies.

This man speaks the truth, my brother did a lot of health insurance software implementation and a good portion of their coders were from I believe Argentina and they were awesome. I got to hang out with them for a couple days when I was vising my brother and they flew in, super smart dudes and really good at their jobs.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

J posted:

Bolded part concerns me quite a bit. I'm in a similar boat as you and was considering using that service but not if it's going to be geared toward helpdesk stuff. Was that resume you posted the one you got from the service?

I mean, you tell the person what type of job you are looking for and give them a couple job postings for that position. I'm in the process of using it and this is not my experience at all. You do have to be active in the process and explain what your issues with it are, what you are looking for etc.

*EDIT* to give more info... I've asked for 2 resumes completely different from each other, one for a junior network admin and one for an implementation consultant and they are definitely not gearing towards HD. I'm guessing that there's something else at play here especially considering how many other people have had success, or perhaps it's the writer (but they go through 3 different writers during the process soooooo)

MF_James fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 12, 2014

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Roargasm posted:

Other people seem to be reading into it differently, but to me that job sounds like they are going to have you inventory a lot of things or translate a paper inventory to a spreadsheet. That's basically what the clerical work is in IT

The bullet points sound akin to something like this, but below int he first paragraph it states that the potential candidate needs to have experience setting up PCs etc. Basically, to me, that portion sounds like can you plug a loving computer in (power/vga/mouse/kb), can you install office, and can you plug an ethernet cable into a walljack/switch. Oh, also can you figure out how to plug a printer in via USB and install printer drivers, this will probably be the hardest thing in that list.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

syg posted:

So my great company who I've been with for 10 years seems to be stagnating a bit. We've been in exponential growth mode for years and years but the market is finally slowing down and they are looking to save money. So far I've been able to learn a lot of new technologies and take on new roles, moving from help desk to sysadmin, into systems engineering and architecture, but it looks like for the next while at least they aren't going to want to do a lot of big initiatives which is usually where I learn a lot of new stuff and enjoy the job. The issue is my local market is totally shite for IT. I'm in a smaler city (300-500k) and honestly after watching the IT jobs for the last year, there is very few postings for very senior technical people, and the few that include salaries don't tempt me compared to what I make here.

There is potential to move into management of the department in the next few years, probably best to stay put and see what happens? I love the company but the idea of not being challenged for the foreseeable future has be a bit depressed. I spent the last several months deep diving into one area for a major project that just got cancelled due to funding, so I'm thirsty for knowledge but I don't want to make a big career mistake just because of that.

Seems like you've got 3 options, 2 of which are fairly similar:

1) Stagnate at your current job and hope you get a manager position in a few years
2) Search for another job in your area, which may take time, see point 1 for stagnating in the mean time
3) Search outside your area i.e. another state or city, this may be your best option consider 1 and 2, but might not be feasible due to family or whatever else in your life.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Today is catch up on documentation day :suicide:

MF_James
May 8, 2008

SaltLick posted:

Congratulations you can now solve 99% of desktop support issues

The other 1% are weird environment based issues because of $%$POORLY_IMPELEMENTED_TERRIBLY_DESIGNED_AND_RIDICULOUSLY_EXPENSIVE_ENTERPRISE_SOFTWARE$%$!!!!!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I know this has come up before, perhaps in another thread, but I can't find the info now and I was foolish and never saved URLs of the recommended sites.

What sites do you guys frequent to stay up-to-date on technology or general websites you use in your IT life?

I mostly use spiceworks forums and SA and then follow links to learn things/find out about stuff, but I'm looking to expand my list of sites to visit a couple times a week to look at discussions/news. Any recommended blogs, news sites, communities or whatever are very welcomed

MF_James
May 8, 2008

nevermind I'm an idiot and shouldn't post before coffee

MF_James fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 6, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008

^ efb..

Tab8715 posted:

How come?

Basically it's easily readable by people with varying backgrounds in programming. Anyone that has a bit of programming experience can read it and get the gist of it for the most part.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Docjowles posted:

That must be Photoshopped. SharePoint is actually green :stare:

It's a trap

MF_James
May 8, 2008

mewse posted:

I'm buying a dash cam because I was recently in an accident, nobody was hurt, both cars were written off, and the punk 17yo driver is disputing that it was his fault. The insurance company said it was his fault, and now he's taking me to court. I'm planning on getting a lawyer and trying to burn this guy, but hopefully a dash cam will help in the future.

The situation you've described is much worse so I just wanted to say I sympathize quite a bit.

A friend of mine has installed a front and rear dashcam because 4-5 years ago he got into a REALLY bad accident with some idiot, like crushed vertibrae and problems for life kind of bad, it was said idiots fault. The police hosed up when they wrote up the report and after years of fighting now this piece of poo poo changed his story, and basically my buddy might get completely hosed and saddled with crippling medical debt, we're talking 200K+ if not more by now.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

If anyone has patience for a wall-o-text and wants to help a newer sysadmin... please read on :)

We just ran into an issue in our environment that we're slightly stumped on, and have some ideas, but I'd like to throw it out here to see if more experienced goons can offer some suggestions.

A little background on our environment: We have 2200ish remote servers spread across the US, they run 2012 R2 and within hyper-V they host a single 2003 guest. We had 2 datacenters with 2 DCs each, we just opened up 2 new datacenters with 6 DCs, 2 physical and 4 VMs. We added the first set of 3 DCs a week or 2 ago, and we just added the second set of 3 DCs on Monday night.

Our issue is this, since tuesday morning we've had issues with a small amount of servers (5-10), with seemingly nothing in common other than this issue (and the fact that configuration of all those servers is standardized), get stuck booting each day. When you view the guest through hyper-v it's sitting at "applying computer settings". We have had some repeat offenders, but some brand new ones each day. Only 1 server has had the issue persist tuesday through today. This issue results in both local and domain logons not working (because the server is stuck) and our workaround is to disable the NIC via hyper-V, bounce the machine, and re-enable the NIC once the server boots; at this point local logons work and domain logons generally do not work, or less often will take an hour or more to actually login. We also have some 2012 R2 guests in our QA environment and we have the same problem with them, so it's not specific to 2003. Obviously, something happened when we threw up the last set of DCs, but since we are decomming the original 2 datacenters ASAP (once this issue is resolved) we are hoping to fix this rather than slash and burn, also change management stuff sucks.

Prior to last night AD sites and services has 5 sites, our 4 datacenters which each hold their respective DCs+subnets and then our 5th site is the 2200 remote machines and their respective subnets. After research we realzied this was causing the site with 3 DCs and first in the alphabet to take the brunt of the work, so we moved 1 DC from each datacenter site into our remote server site, hoping that would fix the problem, but it didn't. What that did fix is it offloaded the LDAP/Kerberos authentications to all 4 datacenters (1 DC from each) and now they're doing round robbin instead of hammering the single datacenter. All sites are linked properly etc.

It doesn't (seem) to be an issue with DNS, dcdiag comes up clean on our top level DCs. We've just enabled verbose netlogon logging and verbose userserv logging. Everything I'm seeing is that this is either DNS or GP related due to our symptoms, but I would expect our incidents to be much greater than a handful a day. I do see errors processing group policy on our guest VMs sometimes and sometimes they have issues seeing the domain all together, but not all of the problem servers have the errors. What else should I be looking at to rule out or point the finger at DNS/GP, and what else can I log/etc to narrow the problem down? Part of the issue is that I can't just wildly reboot during the day and can't make changes etc without approval.

Holy gently caress :words: thanks in advance for anyone that takes the time to read this.

*edit* also don't bash us for having 2003, we're in the process of converting to 2012 R2 on our guest images too, these new datacenters are the first piece of the puzzle.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 18, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Yea, blame SA's shortening thing. See how far you can get down the page before your eyes roll completely out of your head!

I read about 5 comments before I felt a sharp stabbing pain in my left eye and realized I had begun to remove it so as to avoid reading further.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That bicyclist thing is true for all of Colorado. The dispensary thing is pretty funny, though.

We love it here, and really hope we can stay. Health problems might interfere and require a move to sunnier climes, but we're hoping that can be avoided. It's also cool being superman when you go visit lowlanders.

The bicyclist thing is true for every city I've been to that has a high bicycle population. I live in chicago, and I swear to god if I wasn't the most attentive person in the car I could rack up at least one vehicular manslaughter charge every day driving to and from work.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Last place I worked is cutting over from Palo Alto to Fortinet imminently because of the recent PA price increases.

we use a boatload of fortinet gear and recommend it to all of our clients, we're a small-medium MSP but we do handle one of the largest retail chains in the US, they are installing fortinets all over the place now as well.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm not surprised that they are trying something like that. I wonder if some companies just bet they will make more money off of people obeying than they will lose on lawsuits.

I would bet you're somewhat correct, risk analysis and all that, same poo poo as with car recalls and things like that. Although I would think a financial institution would have enough lawyers on staff that know employment law well enough that they're figuring either A) any lawsuits will get thrown out for some reason or B) this is not illegal for some reason.

*edit* v-- yeah, I mean, they could just be accepting the risk that they will get sued. Perhaps getting sued < $savings from outsourcing + a few people actually helping for free

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 20, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I think you had to have seen Twitch Plays Pokemon to get an idea of what's going to happen.

If you watch a few seconds of this you'll get an idea (the stuff flying across the screen in the middle is all of the commands people are spamming, ignore the chat on the right) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY-4itAGyRU

The only thing is I don't really know how the Twitch Plays thing chose what command to use. Pretty sure it was a lot less orderly than "highest rated wins" like the Arch Linux thing is gonna do?

yeah it queued up the commands, don't' think it did any picking/choosing, although commands did get dropped/missed often, so i dunno if it just got bogged down or if it did actually pick the command because 10 people said to do it next instead of 9 for a different command.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

We had like 4 daves. No Tom though.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Dark Helmut posted:

I currently employ 3 Venkats.

My client has a venkat employed!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

The first thing I do in the morning is go through unread email, respond to any as I read them, and then start the rest of my day, this is assuming the world isn't on fire when I get into the office. I organize emails into different folders as needed.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

yeah my personal email is a shitbox, I have a specific other email I setup for my resume, but my gmail account is a blackhole and I don't think there's anyway to recover from it. I have important stuff ruled into a few different folders (plane tickets, concert tickets, poo poo like that), otherwise the inbox is a cesspool of management failure.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

That sucks man. I feel bad for anybody who works in a place where they lock down the computers like that.

Anyways, about to start a League game on my work computer for our weekly 'team building' activity.

If only your team played good games :(

*edit* bleh first post on new page. I don't really have any content except that I'm over worked, the sec people I'm dealing with right now (not from my company) are drooling idiots, and I just want to go home.

Also, I really wish I worked at a research center, some non-profit, or really anywhere else. The work I do is not very fulfilling, I mean sometimes it's fun, figuring out problems, but really all I'm doing is helping some retail chain sell more widgets, it leaves an empty space in me. I just use my job as a means to an end, but I really wish that stuff I did could actually be useful to society in a meaningful way rather than helping MegaCorp sell trash.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 3, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I am on-call 24/7/365, I'm a jr/midlevel windows sys admin. Realistically I've gotten called 3-5 times in the past year, and half of those times another person on my team ended up handling it because I was taking a dump/showering/whatever and missed the call, returned it 10-30 minutes later depending and someone else had handled it.

We have a small team, realistically 3 people with 2 more part-timers that generally only handle project work. I handle tier 3 application and retail location server support, and then our infrastructure of 40ish production servers and 80ish dev/QA servers. I do not get special pay other than overtime, the rest of my team is salary, so I fully expect to change at some point, likely my next review in a year or sometime between since I work 3-10 hours of overtime a week, hopefully my pay will be bumped (other than my usual raise) to compensate at least a bit for the lost income.

*edit for clarity*

MF_James fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 4, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

so you know that the cloud still exists on computers in datacenters right

:aaaaa:

MF_James
May 8, 2008

suuma posted:

I started my first IT job about a month ago doing help desk support for a company's custom software. There's also on-site training/installs (which i am not doing yet) but most of the support is done via WebEx.

I think I'm terribly bored already. Most of my day is spent waiting for the phone to ring, with calls taking 5 minutes-2 hours depending. Today I've taken 3 calls and gone to lunch. Woo. Apparently call volume varies wildly depending on the time of year (we're in package tracking/accountable mail) but I think some days are less than 30 tickets across 8 techs.

Most of my background (education) is in networking, so I guess I should work towards the Cisco certs I intended to finish once I'd graduated. I like my job (i just wish I had more to do, I suppose) and everyone is super chill, but maybe that's the problem. How do you guys in lower volume help desks/etc stave off this boredom? Good lord.

study certs so you can gtfo.

I got lucky and got a promo to sys admin, but that won't happen everywhere (in fact I would never count on it anywhere)

MF_James
May 8, 2008

suuma posted:

Yeah there're ~30 employees here across sales/marketing/support/dev. Chance of really moving up, slim. I kind of got into it knowing it'd be sort of dead end but figured it was better than the retail job I held all through college (pay is much better, too).

Oh yeah anything is better than NOT being in the field, you're still building skills: Customer service skills, troubleshooting skills, you're learning how to handle people on the phone/remote work and stuff like that. If there's not really "other duties" for you to do during down time, I'd go full bore and read up for certs CCNA, MCSA whatever your flavor is.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

mayodreams posted:

Chicagoland area

Looking for any sysadmins?

I livein chicago and commute to the south suburbs, yes, it's pretty awful, not quite as bad as trying to take 90/94 west/north, but 55 is no picnic

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 1, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't know what the process is like now but after a few detailed talks with the recruiter he broke out a picture book. He would slowly turn each page and ask a related question. So a page might have a photo of a bunch of recruits carrying a raft dashing across a stream and he'd ask "Are you interested in joining for the adventure?" Then he'd turn the page and there would be a stock photo of a pile of gold coins and he'd ask "Are you interested in joining for the money?"

It was so strange and jarring after discussing it like two adults. Yes, please sign me up for the raft-run and pile of gold coins. :patriot:

Does the raft lead to the pile of gold? That would be the best rafting trip ever! Also, white water rafting rocks everyone should do it at some point.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

PBS posted:

Yes, it's unfortunate. Your commute is a bit worse than mine, but not by much.

A train commute is not nearly so bad as a car commute IMO, at least on a train you don't have to pay attention to what you're doing. You can play around on your phone or computer for a majority of the duration of the trip.

I hate sitting in stop and go traffic for 80 minutes on my drive home every day.

Yup, I'm about 35-45 minutes going to the office and 35mins-1.5hrs going home, depending on when I leave, I've gotten into the habit of coming into the office around 9-10 and leaving 6-8pm because that gets me on the shorter end of the commutes. Driving does suck though, I'm literally wasting around 10 hours a week sitting in the car, if I could be on a train/bus for that time I'd be able to do other things. I can't really read while in cars/trains/planes without getting sick, but I could type up documentation or whatever, or just sit and relax.

*EDIT*

mayodreams posted:

We are. PM me.

I am in the north 'burbs and take the Metra to Union Station and am thankful I am not in driving commute hell.

shot you a PM

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 2, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Killer Queen posted:

I've already looked. Glassdoor isn't some unknown secret. But it doesn't mean very much when 98% of the reviews are for non-IT jobs and most of the software engineer etc reviews are fairly positive. I'd rather hear from those with hands-on experience in tech at zulily, which is why I posted in this thread.

Ask question, get answer, be snarky in response, must be a goon.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sirotan posted:

This rules, signed up.

Link to the deal thread: http://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/t/8345657

Wooo thanks

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I'm demoting 2x 2012R2 domain controllers, our forest functional level is 2012, and these DCs aren't being removed because of accessibility reasons, they are alive and doing fine, we just need to get rid of them because they are QA systems that don't actually have a mirror in our production environment.

Anyway, I'm just going to go through the GUI to run the demotion, is this article accurate: http://blogs.interfacett.com/how-to-demote-a-domain-controller-dc-in-windows-server-2012-active-directory-domain-services-ad-ds

Basically do the demotion, the server reboots, shouldn't be a DC anymore, check DNS and make sure that it doesn't have any records claiming it's a DC, and that should be it? Nothing manual provided everything goes correctly?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Make sure you've migrated any FSMO roles away from the servers you're demoting first.

edit: Read this. The article talks about 2003-2012 migration but the procedure applies any time you're demoting a DC.

Yeah FSMO roles are held by other DCs already.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I just did something similar a few months ago and yes that should be it. Just be sure to double check DNS in your environment like you mentioned.

Sweet, good to hear, I've been slacking on getting this done because I was worried I'd have to manually do all the DNS stuff/metadata cleanup but that appears to just be when you forcefully remove a DC that can no longer talk to the domain, is inaccessible, or dead.

v--- I can only imagine the havoc that would cause... no thanks.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 7, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008

That went surprisingly well. One of the 2 DCs left a few items in DNS that I had to manually clean, otherwise it was smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

whoops wrong thread