Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Sepist posted:

You cannot physically connect your devices with refried beans

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Interac transfers are probably the only good thing Canada has to offer.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Serious Hardware/Software Crap › Working in IT 3.0: EXTREMELY DANGEROUS

I've been having a hell of a time at work and I sure would love to complain about it but it's probably too easy for that to come bite me in the rear end at some point.

tokin opposition posted:

Thanks all, I talked it over with a friend and I'm feeling more grounded now. Actively looking for jobs and in the worst case I've got ~10 months of living expenses saved. All I want is to work for people who know more than I do and act like adults, rather than 40 year old tweens.

I haven't posted much in here but I've been following your trials and let me be another voice to the chorus, you absolutely deserve better and I'm sure you'll find it.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

You can also "strengthen" gaps by taking courses or doing some sort of self directed learning during that period which definitely helps when you're asked about them during an interview.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My biggest fear was him living an isolated abnormal life.

Keep him away from the forums and you'll be good :love:

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Why... why contact security?

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Blurb3947 posted:

FINALLY got a job offer after 10 months of searching for work. It's a level 1 position at an MSP, they said I'd likely move up relatively quickly based on my experience but holy hell am I glad I got something at least.

:hfive:

congrats, that's awesome!

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Am I going to have to dig out my copy of The Fountainhead and start hitting people in this thread with it :colbert:

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

[irrelevant nonsense was once here]

digitalist fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 8, 2024

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Time for 13 year old me to shine, the mom put a BIOS password to limit screen time so one day before asking to use the computer I took the keyboard into my room, took off all the key caps and put a small piece of that poster sticky tack stuff under each key. Took it back upstairs and asked for my mom to type in the password for me, which she would always make me leave the room for. When she left to go do her things I took the key caps off and saw what keys she pressed and deduced that it was a combination of family birthdays.

She then just started taking the power cable for the cable modem, and that's when I learned how to splice cables and connect the wires directly onto the prongs in the power brick, and then she gave up. Miss you mom.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

ilkhan posted:

:yotj: Offer came in. 65% $ increase and more hybrid flexibility. Starts just after memorial day.

Cheers! :cheers: :yotj:

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

It's cozy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Vampire Panties posted:

Well, not to snivel in the work thread, but it kinda/sorta seems like my IT career is at an end. I simply can not find a loving job. I have applied for hundreds, interviewed for dozens, and I simply cannot get an offer. I genuinely don't know what I'm going to do.

I was out for about a year and almost out of cash and somehow landed a solid job, and if I were to put myself in my shoes a week before landing that job and someone said what I'm saying now I'm not sure how well I would take it, but you got this :love:. Do what you got to do but whatever comes next doesn't have to be permanent, it can just be a stepping stone to something better.

Also the YOSPOS interviewing thread helped me a bunch, it was pretty frustrating at the time reading about their lofty figgie goals when you've got nothing coming in but there's a lot good info in there if you can look past that. Also, MononcQc's LaTeX CV template was really helpful for me, I think.

Apologies if it's all stuff you've come across before, but hang in there, this random internet person hopes things turn around quick for you.