Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
I bitched about the network situation at my job and how everything is about to go off of our network.

Well, a few days ago we found out that we are expanding and adding another office to our growing company.(It's a staffing agency, after all). I proposed one more time that we go with a VPN link from that office to our corporation and use this chance to test out some future ideas. It got approved and I spent the day working on our Watchguard XTM getting the devices to talk to each other. When the ping -t finally went from Request Timed Out to a proper reply, I almost shouted in joy.

Some devices at the moment aren't replying, mostly ones on a different gateway, and everything on the other side of the VPN is not begin blocked by our web filter, but I'm told that I have to add static routes to the right devices. My boss is going to add them to the devices that I do not have access to at some point during the week, whenever he gets a chance, as he's currently hard at work all this week putting around on his boat. Hopefully tomorrow goes just as good for me with progress on this and I don't run into any more brick walls.

Been told that I'm only holding myself back there by not taking initiative and proving myself and that they can't pay me what they want to pay me because I'm not doing the level of work for what they want to pay me. Hopefully this shows them that I am worth what they want and I get bumped up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
So a bit ago I became gainfully unemployed, due to inner-office lolitics and financial decisions. Started tossing out resumes and two weeks later I found something else better than before.

Then today they start wheeling around a beer cart as the day comes to an end. Is this what the good life is like?

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Well I'm sure that I'll never forget today.

I was asked to troubleshoot our Dell UPS and figure out why it wasn't powering the strip. After some poking around, I identified the issue, and confidently turned on the external ports. I hear them click on, I stand up with pride, and then jump back a good foot or two, letting out a scream as two capacitors from the power supply in the PC that I had boneheadedly plugged in to the power strip connected to the backup pop, causing the PC to smoke.

Thankfully it was 3 years out of warranty and a fully depreciated asset, but hell if my adrenaline wasn't going for a minute.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
gently caress HSAs, but that's a topic for B/F/C and not SH/SC.

Lets talk about PTO rates!

0 days for the first 6 months, then 5 days after 6, accruing at .0385 hours paid / hour worked. 10 days a year based off of 80 hour pay periods, 15 days maximum accrual.