Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
please add to the op http://devopsreactions.tumblr.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Gonna ask here too: How do you guys keep up on cutting-edge'ish technologies? Not learning them, but just hearing about them. I got into OpenStack in early 2012 so it wasn't exactly ground floor but it was fairly early. Right now I'm getting into Mesos and evidently it's been around for several years, I had no idea.

Are there specific news sites that cover stuff like this? Certain people on Twitter? How do you guys hear about new up and coming open source projects?

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

mayodreams posted:

She/he responds back that I need to provide the the compensation answers, so I gave a range that I am looking for, and declined to give my current pay.

I get a response that the interview is cancelled and 'good luck with my search'.

I'm a Linux guy with a LOT of experience so YMMV on this one: During my current job search (W2 contract and full time) I have always declined and nobody has given me any poo poo. Here's how I do it and if they persist move to the next one:

1) I don't disclose that, sorry.

2) Technologies, responsibilities, perks, commute, bonuses, culture, and other things vary from job to job. This is a new job and everything will be different.

3) What I got paid in the past has no bearing on what is a fair wage at my next position.

4) To be candid I don't give that out because it's only used as a bargaining chip against me. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

Also, if you're doing W2 contract, never forget that most companies spam out positions to tons of different contract houses so if one is being an rear end in a top hat just find another one.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Switching to a different topic, if you guys want to host something beyond a simple website. Who are you using? I'm a little preferential to Windows Azure since most of stuff that would be hosted is Microsoft-Centric.

I asked this question in the web hosting thread a while ago and got a great answer: Jekyll Bootstrap + GitHub Pages. The only gotcha is your code must be publicly available so don't put anything private (private keys, passwords, etc) in there.

It took me a few hours to set up (I'M NEW TO THIS OK) but now that I have it down it's cake. I installed Ruby + the Windows GitHub client on my Windows 8 box and it works well. Posts are written in Markdown (easy to learn and memorize) and then "compiled" into HTML. You can preview posts before you push. It supports themes and has a very minimalist look with the default theme. You don't need to know Ruby to use it, just follow the instructions to create new posts.

100% free and super easy once you get the hang of it. If you're already a Ruby / web programmer / DevOps type you can probably get it up and running in 10 minutes.

EDIT: Hey I read that wrong, I thought you wanted a simple one, not "beyond simple." Oh well, I'm sure this well help someone.

hackedaccount fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 18, 2014

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Yo, Dark Helmut!

I learned something new recently: When a contract house submits resumes for a position at Big Corp they can only submit X number of resumes/candidates. This way no single agency can flood Big Corp with resumes, they must pick and choose. I think this is a good approach, seems fair to me, and I understand why they do it.

I called the contract house, they loved me, and they said they would submit me. BUT, they let information on this process slip. They also let it slip that they were going to unsubmit "Bob" and submit me instead because they were at their submission limit. I've been doing W2 for a long time but I never knew about this process.

Now here's the meat of the question: How do you deal with Bob? Do they call him and tell him he's been unsubmitted? I doubt it. Is this why a recruiter loves me then never calls me back? If someone better or cheaper comes along it's bye bye hackedaccount, hello new cheaper/better guy?

Tell me a bit about this process if you don't mind, how do you handle it? Is it rare or common when dealing with Big Corps (the limit)?