Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Digging through your stack overflow history can be cringeworthy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Or your SA posting history, for that matter.

One of these days an SA post is going to feature into a muckraking ad for a congressman.

Content: I have a new area of work, and i get to learn new and exciting things! Yay!.

My mentor for this position happens to be 16 hours ahead of me, so now I can't even start a meeting with him until like, 6 PM my time. My winter just got some seriously long nights...

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Gabriel S. posted:

Facebook for Work

Just what everyone wanted, work married to their stream of memes, overabundant pictures of friends kids, and old relatives screaming about switching to parler.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Filthy Lucre posted:

My company mandated our profile pictures had to be actual pictures of us, which made me sad, but at least it stops that sort of thing.

I think my picture in teams/whatever else it gets shared to is 7 years old at this point. I'd be happier if it piped in my facebook profile pic because then I would get the joy of explaining who hedonism bot is.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Umbreon posted:

Oracle did a quick technical phone interview with me, decided I was good enough to go forward, and are now asking me to do 5 different 1 hour interviews with 5 people over 2 days. Is this... normal? 5 hours of interviews over Zoom with a guy they basically just met on a 1 hour technical interview?

This is normal for faang-esque companies. I work at MS and our interview process is quite involved, always with multiple (pre-covid) onsite interviews in addition to the HR and Tech screens. I did a 5 hour marathon interview with people up to the VP when applying to Zillow once.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I think we decided that furries weren't as bad as Nazis, so they can stay.

Then again...

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Amazon is a military contractor, as are pretty much all the large tech companies. A whole lot of them collaborate with ICE and the NSA too.

All of that being said unless they're a C-level/board member, I never judge anyone for working for them. IMO that's the equivalent of blaming someone who doesn't recycle for climate change.

Until the system changes, people have to do what they have to do to survive and make a living.

This is why I like MS TBH. They draw lines on how they act ethically. Eg: They won't sell facial recognition AI to police.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

luminalflux posted:

Totally sold GitHub to ICE tho.

There's other things too, national clouds, etc. but as a whole at least we're trying? There were a number of town halls after the award of the JEDI contract to discuss what it means to be a cog in the brown people bombing machine and there were some ethical boundaries that came from those discussions as well.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Gabriel S. posted:

Or is software development still largely unregulated in this aspect?

Regu...lated?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Question for the hivemind:

How deep can/have you nest(ed) VMs?

Yes, I realize this becomes a "Why?" question after like 2 levels, but let's ignore that and just embrace the theory chaos.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Agrikk posted:

I have personally built a lab on a single box that had a VMware hypervisor on it. This hypervisor contained a VM for FreeNAS for storage plus two clustered ESX hypervisors plus a VM for VCenter server. The two ESX VMs contained linux, BSD and Windows host VMs.

So two levels deep is as deep as I’ve gone.

Ive actually got an opportunity to play around with this, and im going to do some experimenting and measure latencies at each level with various combinations of hypervisors involved (because i have nothing better to do with downtime right now). I don't think it's going to be pretty, my assumption is that due to the layering it will consume resources at a double factorial rate of growth.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

jaegerx posted:

I only use portals to generate api keys.

But do you write your scripts with a magnetized needle and a steady hand?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

skipdogg posted:

They did for sure, but to be fair Microsoft has a track record of being willing to lose money for a long time to break into/take over a space. Xbox lost them money for probably drat near a decade, but they wanted to get into consoles and they kept at it. Do you think Google is going to keep Stadia around for 10 years losing money the entire time? I'm sure Microsoft lost billions when BPOS rolled out back in the day (and man it was lovely back then), but you were pretty comfortable that Microsoft wasn't going to just discontinue the service.

Counterpoint: Windows phone. That was a genuinely nice platform, too.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

jaegerx posted:

He only goes to them because the canucks suck so he doesn’t have to be disappointed by his hockey team.

Jesus christ dude national tensions are already high enough. You don't have to go firing shots over the border like that.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

To quote the entirety of SH/SC since the dawn of time:

gently caress Printers.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

There are now 15 competing standards.

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

im generally against monopolies but if one giant megacorporation could take over the entirety of computer printing and standardize it all universally i would be ok with that

There are now 16 competing standards

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

rafikki posted:

lol "Current status: We've encountered some technical difficulties while rolling back the problematic update. We're working on resolving those issues while we explore additional remediation options in parallel. We'll provide an updated ETA on resolution as soon as one is available."

The directors of the firm hired to continue the credits after the other people had been sacked, wish it to be known that they have just been sacked.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I'm gonna slightly disagree with everyone here on never talking salary first. I have no problem with giving a desired range, if recruiters and companies want to negotiate that's fine but I also make it very clear that I don't change employers for pocket change, there should be a significant increase in compensation.

To be fair, this is how to approach things *AFTER* you get to the point in your career where you're comfortable. Many many many people, even in this industry, are not paid well enough to have that buffer, and a lot end up having to settle for scraps while climbing the ladder because they don't think they have any leverage in salary negotiations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

What is windows core actually good for? DHCP? Thats about all I can think of.

Hyper-v, Sql, IIS, basically anything you only interact with through powershell or management apps.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I re-iterate. If you have a hiring policy that includes automated creation of usernames, make sure manual review happens. First and Last names collide in very strange ways indeed.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

jaegerx posted:

I was a contractor at worldcom. When trey tried to fire me I just ran around the buildings. I’m still proud of that.

Why?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Sickening posted:

I am all for being careful but this entire statement is absurd. This must be some Euro nonsense because there is zero chance this is happening in the US. If you are 100% remote AND you are getting your work done, who could give a flying gently caress?

Oldquoting this because i'm a few pages behind, but if I had employees and one of them took a random risk with company IP by going to a different country with different data sovereignty laws I'd be pretty pissed.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

tehinternet posted:

How many people here came into IT from something else?

kid who liked breaking his computer as a kid and finding a million ways to fix it ->
fast food/retail ->
reatil tech bench ->
technican for security products ->
support lead for 3 product lines in mocap ->
contract pm for faang ->
fte engineer for faang

Careers are weird

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

Strong agree. DS9 was the series I appreciated as an adult.

However.

Discuss.

TNG was a great step into taking trek into the more diplomatic realm, ds9 is far more bingeable

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

kensei posted:

People are allowed to like different things, it's okay. I just prefer the Star Wars universe, but I loved watching the original Star Trek as a kid. Wrath of Kahn was a key movie in my childhood.

Fair.

Also if we're going to be going outside the normal of trek vs trek and trek vs wars, Babylon 5 > DS9

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

he is like 10k below the new median salary for his range which puts him below the bottom of his range. But we also can't get raises of more than 10% so he's still below the bottom of his range even after a pay bump.

Manager: "Our people are woefully underpaid and will jump ship, what can we do?"
HR/Execs: "Well, we have an arbirtrary-rear end policy about how much of a raise we can give people in a single year, so let's just keep that around and continue to woefully underpay them"
Manager: "Won't they still jump ship? Leaving us with needing to backfill a place at great cost of training just to add someone at that higher salary anyway? Also you won't bother approving posting the position until several months down the road which means we're going to be grossly overburdening our existing staff because you'll drag on the hiring process for another several months"
HR/Execs: "...We will reallocate 2% of the budgeted salary for the position to pizza parties to keep them happy. Oh, it's IT? Well the pizza will go to sales, but IT can scavenge what's left afterwards."

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

sixth and maimed posted:

My previous employer liked to remind us that they were paying us enough according to their HR software/partner. Then 2 of the 3 people in the group level IT team resigned for better pay and benefits; the third one was a helpdesk person being trained as sysadmin for the group level. They then waited so long posting the positions there was no hand-over to the new people they eventually hired.

Management would rather shoot itself in the foot and incur massive costs and downtime than let workers think they're allowed to ask for raises.

Reminder: company policies banning discussion of wages are illegal under NLRB rules preventing companies from blocking worker organization. Doesn't mean they still won't fire you for it, but at least they can't deny unemployment if they do. Since these policies are typically in handbooks or other written materials like emails or notices, it's really, really easy to prove.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Found out today a guy I liked working with is getting fired from the IT ticket :(

Oh well, I guess we can close his ticket about the MFA

Anyone here get the RIF ticket for themselves?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

i am a moron posted:

Literally any firewall training is boring, firewalls are boring pieces of poo poo

It's an electronic bouncer at the door of the virtual nightclub holding a list telling unexpected packets "You're not on the list". No matter how glamorous the club is, it's always on the outside with a clipboard. Can't get much less interesting than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Bigger org, so hopefully less of a shitshow

Oh you sweet summer child