Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I work in a jail and wear the same lovely khakis and polo every day because jail smells like bad easy mac and despair. I went to the interview in a suit. Wear a suit this is easy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

NippleFloss posted:

I'm pretty sure I don't want to work in a foul smelling jail though...

It's mainly because my little office is in the jail proper instead of the non smelly civilian side. Otherwise jail is fun to work at. Inmates can be funny.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

We use HelpStar and it's okay. I don't think we use it to the best we could but it services the entire county sheriff's office well enough.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

After a year of waiting and political bullshit within the upper management I might be finally getting the server position they have wanted me to fill. Hopefully it all works out. Being liked can really take you far within an organization. Dress yourselves, be sociable, and smell nice people.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'd still do it for the pay they are suggesting

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

There's a free lot I park in that is a mile away from where I work. The morning shuttle is there when I show up but in the afternoon it's either walk in Texas swamp heat or sit in the Texas heat waiting for this drat thing to show up. Winter sure was nice. Maybe it's time I just pony up the $75/mo for garage parking.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If you have anything bad to say, say it first and have a "but" in the middle that contradicts what you just said and makes you look awesome.

"lovely manager fired three people before the dead line, but that allowed me to step up to the plate and really take charge with a smaller group which due to my leadership we were able to complete the task at hand"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Started as engineering; ended up english. Now I work in IT. I feel it's the circle of life or something.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Finally finally getting through the background check/polygraph/psych eval portion to being hired on by the county jail. They've had this position promised to me for ages but it kept getting hamstrung by various stuff.

Moving onto server support for the medical department and super involved with future projects. Benefits and a 12k raise so I am pretty happy right about now.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Those math questions are loving ridiculous. Reynolds & Reynolds is notorious for pulling that kind of poo poo, and every time I receive an email from them asking me to apply I immediately send it to the trash. Those types of questions work both ways, assholes - it made me certain that I never wanted to work at that place.

I spent 30 minutes of a total 90 on that loving test covering material I hadn't seen or used in 15 years, and it was for a desktop support position. I saw absolutely nothing that the tests covered that were even remotely akin to the work I could reasonably expect to perform. I guess it made so much more sense to let some loving test determine whether I should get the opportunity to talk to someone rather than leave the decision on hiring me to someone actually interviewing me and getting a take on my technical skills. When I hit minute 30 and saw how much more material was left I stood up, put on my dress jacket and threw the test on the desk in front of the proctor and told him to have someone call me when they got serious about hiring an experienced IT professional.

I still loving hate R&R, and that was 6 years ago.

I worked at ReyRey in college and holy poo poo that test was stupid as gently caress. You dodged a bullet by not working there since they underpay ridiculously, practically zero upward mobility, and company morale is always low. The only benefit of that place was they were pretty flexible on hours if you were taking classes. Just check out the glassdoor entries on it and have a laugh

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 4, 2014

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

People...like hell desk?!

Seriously though with your experience youd be able to get an entry level job that deals with answering phones or if you're lucky being the "IT guy" that gets to walk around. You can help get your foot in the door with CompTIA A+ certification as well.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Congratulations you can now solve 99% of desktop support issues

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MF_James posted:

The other 1% are weird environment based issues because of $%$POORLY_IMPELEMENTED_TERRIBLY_DESIGNED_AND_RIDICULOUSLY_EXPENSIVE_ENTERPRISE_SOFTWARE$%$!!!!!

Ain't that the truth. The pharmacy department can't use above IE 7 :wtc:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

He's shooting to the stars too fast! He'll be the next DAF for sure

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Remember your innocence fondly.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I routinely have to deal with agency nurses and docs that have no business being around a computer. It's miserable

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

County is a mandatory 6% invested with a matching 6. Once you retire they multiply it by 225% which is nice. 8 years to be vested

I think thats how it is at least.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 17, 2014

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I just thought it was a bunch of attacks on Ferguson PD

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Jokes on you for even showing into work

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I just got denied a pretty big promotion/being hired on full time due to admission to criminal behavior back from my college days on a polygraph. lol self ownage. gently caress the police

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It's working for the police so it's standard practice unfortunately. The thing is that while the results of the test cannot be used against you, the questionnaire you fill out prior is more or less a written confession can be.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Thats true they can't use that I failed a section against me but they can use the stuff i wrote down saying "I stole this in such and such year"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

A work from home job for 10/hr means no commute which is nice when you make so little.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I am hot garbage at cover letter writing so I've considered just posting a job description on Craigslist and letting the cover letters come to me.

psydude posted:

The one through RTI? I think it's only something like $50 for past customers, so I've thought about doing it to increase my signal to noise ratio for InMails.

I gave the LinkedIn service to my girlfriend and after looking at it it's just a broken up resume in each of the relevant sections. If you have the money go ahead but I would say it's one of their weaker services

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 23, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

quote is not edit

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sacred Cow posted:

Have a quick ethics(?) questions when it comes to accepting jobs offers.

I have a standing job offer I accepted back in November but I am still in the middle of a very convoluted background check and have received very little feedback on its status. I found another job that is closer to home (1 hour vs 10 mins) with similar pay in the same field. I have an interview scheduled with this second job. How bad would it be if the second job made me an offer and I retracted my acceptance from the first job?

go3 posted:

Are they paying you?

You can bail at any time. I had an offer that was squandered away because I admitted to criminal behavior on a polygraph examination. Nothing is guaranteed.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sickening posted:

What job are you applying to that requires a polygraph?

County Sheriff's office. Everyone from a clerk to deputy has to take one. It's a dying practice for the police. The actual polygraph isn't the issue that fucks you, it's the packet where you confess your sins so they can question if you left off anything and they get their reading from that.

It sucks too because I've been a contractor with them for two years now and everyone in the department loves me and went to bat for me to try and hire me on full time anyway. I'll leave once I have a new position lined up and they'll unfortunately lose a dedicated and eager employee

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

You should always list your past, since it could used as blackmail but if an organization is really going to rate you based on things that occurred decades ago I am not sure I'd want to work their in the first place.

I'm technically only disqualified until July 2016 (5 years after my latest offense I listed. I have a clean record just I've done illegal things ) and gently caress waiting around for that. The position is the only reason I stuck around for the year when they first started talking about it in late 2013

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Don't talk about bonuses at work

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It's actually really awesome when you are friends with your boss

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Have an interview lined up with KPMG for some sort of consulting job. Anyone have experience with that kind of work? Lots of travel and interacting with CEOs and such could be exciting but I don't know what I may be getting myself into. Pay raise and bennies are what I'm mainly looking for here.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Our generation is doomed

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Garrand posted:

Question for those of you who look at resumes:

I made a poor choice of college; I graduated with a Bachelor's in Game Development. I actually learned a fair amount about computers and still know how to program (the program was entirely about programming and software development but targeted towards games) but after some issues with my first job as a developer and some personal stuff happening I decided to leave the field and go into IT. I'm more of a support kind of guy anyway. If that's on my resume would that set off alarm bells? Keep in mind my only actual IT experience now is doing some basic phone support, so I don't have much else to put on a resume.

A Games Degree from say Penn State is a hell of a lot more respectable than some poo poo degree from Full Sail. Put the degree at the bottom and trump up your other programming and IT support experience.

skipdogg posted:

After you have professional working experience I don't give a poo poo where you went to school or what you majored in. You could have majored in Multicultural Womens Studies for all I care.

I get asked about my English degree in nearly every interview and I use it as a way to spin "good communication skills in a field that notoriously lacks it." But yea you're right that degree doesn't matter once you have experience under your belt

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

for converting the medical department to electronic records we sure do print a gently caress ton of poo poo still. also doctors that are too god drat lazy to go to a different printer that is either 5ft away or 10ft because theirs is temporarily down infuriate me. christ i hope i get this advisory job i've been interviewing for

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

what an utterly miserable life. although the HP guy that comes in to service our printers seems oddly happy to work on them so whatever floats their boat.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

gently caress Panasonic tough book laptops forever and always.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bhodi posted:

I'm.. not sure I understand the difference myself, other than hitting the max in stored data causes data loss and hitting the max in network just causes congestion? Soft cap versus hard cap? Both are measured on use % versus available capacity and historical metrics are key to creating trend lines to know when you'll hit max?

What's the expected answer here?

http://itxdesign.com/gigabit-vs-gigabyte/

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The main problem I have with trying to find a job while working full time are the stupid phone interviews with HR, recruiters, and the like. I don't have the luxury of a quiet place to tuck away into due to working inside a jail and cell signal is garbage.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sacred Cow posted:

This is all just the tech side of things. They also hosed up pretty bad on the backend too including my insurance and timesheet. I don't know if I am getting paid on time because despite knowing I was joining the company for 3 months, never assigned a signing manager too me so I just found out no one can approve my time for last week yet.

This is a large company with ~8000 employees. I've never worked for a company this large so I don't know if this is normal.

If this was a contract found through a staffing agency I would get in contact with them immediately so you get paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I guess I'll see the value of a recruiter this week. I applied for a position on a company website and got a typical rejection email. The recruiter I talked to yesterday is apparently recruiting for the same position and mentioned I sounded like a great fit. Will I get pushed through with a recruiter even after what I assume is an auto boot from HR computer filters? Who knows!