Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Does your CEO plan on paying mileage rates and time during travel across your state? Are there fleet cars? Is everyone cleared and approved to travel? Do you have a plan for drug testing the employees who have to drive, esp if you're in a state with recreational cannabis, to ensure compliance with state and federal transportation laws? Are you making it a requirement for new hires in IT to be able to drive long distances regularly?

Having worked as an traveling consultant, I don't think your CEO has accounted for the amount of dead time he's going to be paying for while IT is loving around on the road. Start pointing out the cost based on non productive hours alone and I bet the old person brain gives up on the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

DropsySufferer posted:

I can't imagine how weird it would be to go into other employees or a CEO Mansion.Who knows what's in a random person house, I've heard horror stories on that. I would fight it and they would have to fire me. i'd call it a health risk and not in my job description.
These days I have a different job but I can imagine the pain of that situation.

My favorite was the summer of 2001 when I worked for a state board of Investments as a receptionist slash IT utility player, and the oldest bigshot in the office asked if I could come to his house and troubleshoot an internet problem. A trusted coworker told me he was mostly harmless, so I said sure, I'll do that for a free lunch.

It turned out he needed his RealPlayer settings sorted because he kept missing the streaming reruns of Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Thanks Ants posted:

Got fired, or got a parachute payment and is off to do a destroy-and-exit somewhere else?

Seriously, I wonder if they've been hired at Salesforce yet.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
We used Bluejeans briefly in a Google collab tools shop to bridge phones with Meet or Hangouts or whatever, but once we got upgraded AV in conference rooms and better call in numbers, we ditched them entirely. I remember the licensing existed very briefly and then was never spoken of again.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Justin Credible posted:

Run into the stuff where for a job application you have to sit in front of your webcam and pitch yourself/answer questions and then send that video off into the black box void that is job applications?

I never have and wouldn't do those. Dystopian rear end poo poo

My favorite version of this was at Salesforce in 2021. They made us do company culture indoctrination training every year, but if you weren't in sales or a Flavor Aid drinking team, your boss would usually sign off saying the proper obedience was paid so we could do our actual jobs.

But with everyone working from home, they noticed that none of us did the requisite "sit down and read from a script on a 1:1 with your boss making sure you're a good little soldier", and the following year we had a new task. Everyone had to write and then record a 10 minute video on our understanding of Salesforce values, each of which would be reviewed by your boss before signing off. And they would go thru a video broker service that could not tell us where the videos were stored, for how long, for what possible other use, and with no certification plan for destruction.

This was for every employee BTW, only excluding contractors. If you're 10 years deep in a back office engineering role with zero client facing or sales work, DRINK THE FLAVOR AID OR PERISH YOU SOULLESS PLEB.

The backlash was swift and comprehensive, and the plan was scrapped within 3 weeks. Mostly because of the data retention issues, but also because bosses like mine with close to 30 reports laughed in the manager meeting and told them, gently caress off, I have real poo poo to do with my time.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
It's all fun and games until the system checks to see if you're just incrementing/using similar passwords.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

kensei posted:

I have made the required blood sacrifice to Cisco for the data center move to succeed

As someone who superstitiously believes bleeding on her PC builds helps with reliability, huzzah!

Also glad it wasn't a worse injury, esp overseas. Make sure that thing is well disinfected...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Gucci Loafers posted:

From what I've read, supposedly Broadcom is focused on their "Top 500" customers because they can't or don't want to migrate from VMware despite increase costs. They're that invested. And in long run, they'll make more money off of them even if their smaller customers leave.

At least that's the theory.

Heard something similar, that they're focusing on whales with entrenched infraststructure. They're also pushing smaller shops to throw out any setups with multiple products and go with the full VMWare product stack. Sure, guys. Maybe if you're a company contracting your infra, but any place with a staff team is gonna side eye that so hard.

Probably saves them from having to hire more sales engineers to sort out bespoke licensing. One size fits all, right?

I do like that all of this is falling immediately after budgets were likely set up for the year. Just gonna asspull 92 milli, no big.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

RFC2324 posted:

Goons are so hilariously misanthropic

When dealing with folks like you, we definitely are

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
When u need an automation 2 run ur automation...that sounds hellish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

klosterdev posted:

As someone who had to go back to L1 HelpDesk: It still pays better than retail.

This tbh. When I was between jobs last year, my uncle quipped to my dad that I should come home and work fast food for 16 bux an hour. My dad says he gave him a look and replied, "I don't think you understand what my daughter does or what that kind of job pays."

I took a bit of a pay cut and have to wait a while for some benefits to kick in at the current job, but my boss and team own bones and I have zero regerts.