Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please don't pull a DAF and prioritize work over Christmas and family stuff. Please. You're all better than that even though I am regularly and aggravatingly incredulous as poo poo in this thread.

Is that kid still alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thanks Ants posted:

vCenter UI exposed to the world.

Solid move right there!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

I was just shown today that the Leader in charge of maintaining our MDFs bought a huge stack of leaf blowers to "clean" these areas with networking and server equipment.

I am trying to figure out if I should care or if I should report someone for being an idiot.

How did this turn out?

When I was down in Mexico on vacation I had a helpdesk guy decide to "clean out" a network closet. He took a can of compressed air and just blasted it into the PSU fan of an old rear end 2811 that does T1 PRI crap for a building. Long story short, that PSU died.

He then plugged a shop vac into a UPS that is only large enough for a handful of switches.

I almost strangled him when I returned.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Ive been doing Dept-Service(OS)-Site

So if my company is ABC inc, company wide web server (Server 2019) in Dallas would be: ABC-IIS19-DAL

A finance department quickbooks server (Server 2016) in San Fransisco would be: FIN-QB16-SAN

Seems to be working out so far.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sirotan posted:

Now I'm in a job where everyone names their servers around dumb nerd references which tells me nothing and I hate it. And no, they do not have an inventory system that is effective enough to excuse this (which I also hate).

Nothing more annoying than trying to remember what the "Voldemort" server does.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

George H.W. oval office posted:

The whole HR industry can get hosed for what they’ve done to the hiring process with all these applicant tracking systems rejecting you for not hitting arbitrary metrics. I’m a systems admin but oops I didn’t have enough mentions of Office Suite in my resume. To the bin!

Just gotta have a keywords page at the end of your resume, toss every software suite/certification on there. Boom.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey all, I would like to survey the thread about something, would really appreciate your help. I'm trying to gather info outside of my own job history and experience, and I would like to use the results I expect from this as ammo at my current job.

1) Does your org allow working from home and/or remote work?
2) If yes to (1), how often/how much is allowed?
3) If yes to (1), are there any documented requirements for it to be allowed?
4) If no to (1), are there any reasons given why not?
5) Would you consider working for an org that does not permit working from home/remote work?
6) What country are you in?
7) Public or private sector?
8) Union or non-union?

Thank you extremely much.

1) Kinda, but there is no actual "policy" on it
2) Depends on the situation, sick/sick kid/medical/weather sure, doing it full time seems like no (currently)
3) Nope
4) A lot of positions here involve public interaction
5) Not really, I am in a "rural" location
6) USA
7) Public
8) No union

Bigass Moth posted:

Sir you must be the only person in the world fluent in FORTRAN and also Microsoft Office!

Hey now, I almost ended up as a COBOL programmer after college. Glad that fell apart.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Edit: Ignore double post.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

GreenNight posted:

Probably be making bank atm tbh.

Yeah, but I probably would have lost my mind.

Also, the company was pretty close to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

KillHour posted:

Places that think they own you for whatever 8 hours a day they choose can gently caress right off.

This.