Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

stubblyhead posted:

Did you skip the last sentence?

No it's just so obvious that it makes my head hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Inspector_666 posted:

The point isn't what you said, though. The point is that even a modest increase will make a huge difference. 2 years is a long time.

I totally get it. Especially considering you would be starting off with 7% (5k) more from the beginning.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
It's pretty much the same as putting $1k into retirement every month starting at 20 vs 30.

I need to save more :negative:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

NippleFloss posted:

This is probably because they have no idea how to do any of that stuff.

Sounds like work

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
RE: improving help desk metrics

When I was on helpdesk we would have hundreds ( thousands?) of tickets a day.

The metrics used were: first call resolution, time spent in aftercall, ticket accuracy, schedule adherence. That was it. No time spent on the phone, no # of tickets.

All the deskjockeys were then ranked daily by their metrics. The reward for being at the top was getting to choose your schedule for the next rotation.

I liked how transparent the metrics were. But I'm glad I got the gently caress out.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Tab8715 posted:

I used to be on a tech support helpdesk and absolutely every single metric you could possibly imagine was recorded and critiqued. No matter how well you did there was always room for improvement which was just excruciating aggravating.

Curious, to those that have had positions like this did you get to see your own statistics? I was never told why but we weren't allowed to anyone's, an average or even our own. Maybe a manager can chime in, is there a good reason for this? I would have like to have known how well I was performing...

The entire rank and metrics complete with names was on a daily updated site that all could see. That's what I meant by transparency. I liked it. You could see who was at the top and talk to them about how to improve (they were always helpful to me at least). You could see where you were falling behind and focus on that metric.

Combined with the idea that the quarterly schedule was chosen based on rank, if you wanted a certain schedule then you tried to be higher ranked. Alot if people didn't like it but oh loving well. It was a game with clear rules that you learned to play, which was exactly what was needed to meet sla's.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Master Builder :colbert:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Holy poo poo I wish I was that focused and motivated when I was 17

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

skipdogg posted:

Good for you dude. I started my career with a 2 year degree. Got my foot in the door and showed them what I could do. I've been fine ever since, but I will finish my 4 year degree soon at the age of 33...

:):hf::) I'll have mine finished at the ripe age of 32 (next year). Also got my first payment from my gibill in today! :woop:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Drunk Orc posted:

So I should hold off on jumping ship from my current spot until I can find something worthwhile and study in the mean time? Never having a job in IT before its all kind of new to me and I don't know what to expect as far as salary. I'm sort of ashamed I did the work to get my AAS and have never used it 😰

In my humble opinion, you could probably make equivalent pay right now in IT with your AAS, with the chance to make more than a $10/hr increase in 3 years. Getting started is the hardest part because it feels so daunting. Don't put it off. Also get started on your BS.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Drunk Orc posted:

Right on dude that's good to know, I always worried I would find myself stuck because I'd take a drastic pay cut to switch careers. I plan on starting on my BS next month! Thanks guys!

The good thing is you're not committed to taking the first thing that comes your way. If you don't like it, don't take it! There will be more opportunities. Especially if you enjoy your current job, it's not like you're unemployed (then it's different - take what you can get). The actual pay depends on where you live but I'm pretty confident you can find something equivalent.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
And sometimes companies only hire by way of recruiters.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sepist posted:

Unless your rockstar contractor refuses to take less money for the F/T employment and there's too much red tape to get that kind of pay grade approved in this years budget :smithicide:

Yeah.. I think we're about to lose a great employee because of this. Paycut and requiring moving to another (terrible) state :smith:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm taking a rare "full" day off - full meaning, I don't even have my phone syncing emails, Outlook is closed, and my home VOIP is set to do not disturb. I'm gone, I'm out, find someone else. However, my boss asked if we could have a quick phone call at 9am. Okay, that's fine. And my boss, knowing how I value my time and what I think of people who can't read clocks, called me at precisely 9am. You've got to respect that.

Except he was calling to let me know he's giving notice today. Son of a bitch. I love working with and for this guy, because he does what a boss needs to do - provides cover, shelters me from the bullshit, listens to my hairbrained schemes to spend company money, and then lets me execute. I don't know who they're going to bring in, but I know that it's not going to be what it was.

That sucks man. I already told my current boss if he leaves he better take me with him. He said if he leaves he'll be taking us all.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

MrMoo posted:

Welcome to the domain of "Solutions Architect", it is a very difficult position requiring a lot of knowledge to perform well and you are generally fighting against everyone to do anything whilst also layered in bureaucracy and meetings. It is the jack-of-all-trades master-of-none show piece position.

I'm going to print this and frame it and put it on my desk.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Zero VGS posted:

I should clarify, of course I'm replaceable, but they'd never make back the value they get from me. I'm not replaceable for my wage, we literally had interviewees with equal qualifications to mine laugh and walk when we told them what they'd start at (my wage).

:negative:

So... I don't... You...

Are you proud of this?

You know those interviewees were basically laughing at you, right?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Bob Morales posted:

:lol: We had P cards with the worst restrictions ever. $200 spending limits (it's fun telling people to run the card 3-4 times so you can buy a projector), a huge list of approved vendors...talk about a pain in the dick.

At what point did you think ":haw: This would be so much easier and I would much prefer it if I could just put it on my personal credit card"?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Zero VGS posted:

My experience is 4 years IT in the military and 5 at this company. I make 50k. My skills/duties have been the same at both places: Windows server 2003 administration, lots of GPO, all manner of computer janitor stuff, run ethernet/phone line/wifi, run a VoiP server, do a lot of CCNA-level stuff like I set up a VPN-Anyconnect portal myself, I'm the only guy supporting 300 full time users and 300 part time. I put in a chat server, Spiceworks ticket system, migrated to Windows 7, I didn't think most of it was that impressive but I've had a half dozen IT guys from all the other subsidiaries call me and have me guide them through everything over the phone.

Something is seriously wrong here

:f5:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Zero VGS posted:

I could keep pushing the newer place for a better offer, or just say gently caress it and keep applying at more places?

These are your options.

Zero VGS posted:

I mostly just don't have time to apply/interview because I'm swamped.

Well then I guess you're screwed! (Make it happen or it will never happen.)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

stuxracer posted:

When you were in the military how would you have reacted if they asked you to buy your own bullets that they refund later?

I guess you were never in the military... just kidding. It would never happen. When I was in they didn't give us bullets. I stood gate watch with a walkie talkie (granted, at a US base). But using your own funds is unimaginable.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

evol262 posted:

You're in a major metropolitan area with a skillset worth 50% more than what you're making, not $5k (and probably more, I'm just not familiar with average wages in Boston).

Seriously I wouldn't take less than 80k in his position...

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

evol262 posted:

Respond "you're"

My boss sent me a slide deck to proof read and I fixed every tiny little error I could find and wrote back a descriptive feedback response.

I told him "You get a gold star and an 'E' for Effort". He called me a grammar Nazi, and then sent me another one to proof read. I replied "Heil, mein Fuhrer".

The next day, we filled his office with pink "It's a girl!" balloons (unrelated), and during a meeting I photoshopped a picture of J. J. Jameson with a comic-text balloon of a phrase my boss commonly says and put it on the projector.

I have the best boss.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Methanar posted:

Not as exciting or horrific as the other 70 posts today but:

After 12 hours of college for being a network engineer and I've learned what an IP address is, grade 8 algebra (How to round!) and how super serious hard the program is. The instructors apparently don't talk with each other much either because I've gotten 3 different people all contradicting themselves over school supplies. One guy is telling me I need a 512gb ssd for running like 6 vms (wat) and someone else is saying 360 (these aren't even sold in my city) and someone else is saying 256 would be okay. After emailing the guy who I think is in charge about it and saying how I don't think one win7 vm takes 80gb of space he sends me this message that comes off very frustrated saying how it was clearly stated that 512 was necessary.

Sounds like you're learning the soft skills required to put up with all the BS and inconsistencies of the real IT world! :thumbsup:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Snipping a couple of RJ45s and making crossover console cables tomorrow. First time I've made a cable in, oh bout 9 years. I sucked at it then, let's see how 9 years off has done me.

good luck!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Sales blows and I will never again do it.

You know that bonus that was said not to count on? Replace that with commission.

Just give me a flat paycheck that I can depend on, thanks.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Zero VGS posted:

I'm going to re-insist

oh god I read that as "re-enlist" and got a ptsd attack. I was all "brother no resist the darkside!"

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm not sure what to think about this. There's apparently a demand for this product.

Gotta make that money

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Drunk Orc posted:

I just want to say thanks to a couple of people in this thread, namely Fiendish Dr. Wu, for giving me the confidence to finally chase a spot in IT. I've been in touch with a couple different places and things are looking pretty promising, I hope to switch jobs by the end of the year!

Right on man :cheers:

If you need any input on offers, even if it's just a "should I consider this offer or am I getting hosed?", let us know! Don't feel pressured into taking the first offer you get unless it's really what you want. You'll do fine.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

air- posted:

What's a solution architect supposed to be responsible for?

Summing this up as simply as possible based on my crash-course experience in working in an architecture team: The architects are primarily responsible for designing the roadmap of a company's technology capabilities.

When a new technology is requested, the architect designs the beta to conform to company standards and then hands it off to the developer who will then put it into the production environment. As a part of designing the alphas and betas, the architect performs all testing, validation, and documentation.

In the company where I work, we are a global fortune 500 company with revenue in the billions. We have plants in every continent with thousands of sites. There is no technology consistency. In the past, when a technology was required, the IT people at the site just made it happen. It is a huge mess with millions of dollars in contract overlaps and overwhelming complexity. The architecture team I work in is working on creating a technology reference model for a unified solution across the board.

Also, meetings. Lots of meetings. (In fact, I'm in a meeting right now!)

I'm sure it varies from company to company, but that's what we do where I work.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Drunk Orc posted:

So I was supposed to have a phone interview with the IS manager of a software company in town today for a desktop support tech position at 1:30 and it is now nearly 2:15 with no call yet. What's the proper way to handle this situation?

Inspector_666 posted:

Call them and ask what is up.

When this happened to me I called and asked if they would just like to reschedule for a time more convenient for them, and we ended up doing the interview over the phone right then and there. Worked out well and got the offer.

Just keep it professional.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Drunk Orc posted:

Yeah I'm not really sweating it either way. I'm just applying to other spots on Dice and Indeed in the meantime and sending my resume out to some recruiters :unsmith:

Sucks it happened but keep it up.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Tab8715 posted:

You can get an Eval Edition of RHEL too, granted it's only 30-days :(

OEL is forever! (and like the same thing)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Anybody have any familiarity with 2008 R2 / 2012 R2 kernel hardening? edit: Specifically locking down the files on a domain controller.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 8, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CLAM DOWN posted:

What exactly are you wanting to know? You might have more luck too here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3327309

Looking for info on PGP or other disk encryption for a domain controller. I'll browse through that thread. Thanks.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus, how are you guys so nonchalant about this?! How can you handle living/working somewhere that treats you like this, with no basic labour laws?

I am all :stare: right now.

Pretty much because I can't just up and move to the utopia you live in.

Otherwise I'd be there like now.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I'm waiting on the smart pants or smart hat

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Dark Helmut posted:

I'm old enough to remember the last time a "smart" watch tried to gain market share...

I have one of those in a box in my closet. Tempting

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

awesomebrah posted:

:yotj: I got my first long term IT job :yotj:

Starting Monday I am going to be doing desktop support for a hospital for at least 2 months (Will most likely be extended.). Any tips on how not to embarrass my self? Also how long before my excitement is replaced with bitterness and self-loathing?

That's awesome brah! (heh heh)

Don't act like you know all the answers, but don't be afraid to say something (when) you see some dome poo poo. Be ready to learn. Dress professionally (or at least dress appropriately for the environment).

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Zero VGS posted:

Against my better judgement I went to that job I turned down expecting to give them a free consultation in IT. The CFO grabs me and says "look, we want to hire you." So I'm like okay, then why did HR offer me less than I'm making now? And he said yeah, they made a big mistake. So I said okay, I keep my Lead Sys Engineer title, if I'm "downsized" I want two months salary, I want comp days for any overtime worked, and I want 80k base salary, not the 55k you guys were slinging.

He shook on it and said I'd have the written offer tomorrow morning. First time in my life I'm going to be paid what I'm worth.

Like a boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sepist posted:

Hidden con to having a fat foodie boss: Recommending a place for lunch that he ends up hating may cost you your job, or at the least his trust. Guess he's not a fan of my sushi joint :( I just keep getting texts that say "your dead"

evol262 posted:

Respond "you're"

From a few pages back but this just happened:

Sent: Friday, September 12, 2014 10:49 AM
To: BOSS
Subject: UNTITLED.pptx

Would something like this help?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
IT Architect | Technology Architecture | Corporate IT

-----------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, September 12, 2014 11:00 AM
To: Fiendish Dr. Wu
Subject: RE: UNTITLED.pptx

Your fired.

BOSS
Director, Technology Architecture - Corporate IT

-----------------------------------------------

You’re*

Fiendish Dr. Wu
IT Architect | Technology Architecture | Corporate IT

We're going out to lunch in a few minutes. He's buying.