Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

One of my previous bosses told me a story how a previously retired employee was found to be on hard times especially after his wife passed away. He had more or less given up on life, stop coming to senior events, buying groceries or cleaning up after himself to point where social services were called to remove a rat infestation. Upper-management was informed of the situation and decided the best course of action was to pull in a few of the younger engineers to help out. As opposed to working on multi-million dollar telecom installations they were scheduled to merely stop by grocery store on a Friday afternoons, make a random 80-year old dinner and hangout for a hour afterwords all on the company dime.

Not completely related to this, but I have a feeling that some people just wither away after their meaning in life (work, more often than not) is gone. Especially if it's a widow(er). Seen this in education a time or two, it's never pretty. One physics prof we had got force-retired, but came back nevertheless on a different contract after saying pretty much outright that "it's either this, or I'll die of sheer boredom within six months".

It might be worth mentioning that he's one of the best math/physics teachers I've ever met, even wrote a pretty good book on Thorium and nuclear power a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

adorai posted:

Yeah that stupid standard of living thing. I hate living in a place where our poor are better off than most of europes middle class.

Please tell me more, but not itt.

Also: lol

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I did the whole classified poo poo for years, it's pretty annoying to deal with at times, but a lot of the basic stuff you learn about information security is applicable in jobs that don't require a clearance too.

Some of the stuff I work with now probably should be classified, because of public safety implications. This also ties in with how A and B might not be classified on their own, but would be if combined.

In short this poo poo is way more complicated than you'd think, but the actual clearance process isn't, except being a PITA.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I found the bugs! in my own computer :downsowned:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

He's not saying he should move to Benghazi to do so.

Dude.

:wtc:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Generally, those people are not goons.

:cawg:

I nearly spilled coffee over my keyboard thanks to this :sun:

Edit (for actual, relevant content): I spent a few years as an enlisted sonar operator in the Norwegian navy but didn't re-up due to the pay being pretty mediocre and personell policies (time off after sailing, travel compensation etc) being pretty sub-par.

I probably have enough people on facebook that left due to the same reasons to man the weapons and engineering section of a frigate. The very same frigates that media over here are whining about being undermanned :haw:

Wibla fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 5, 2016

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Methanar posted:

It's fine as long as you have anti virus

You just had to go there, didn't you? :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sepist posted:

Man I'm so glad I stuck it out with this VAR despite the first month being real loving bad. After cleaning up the previous guy's messes I've been doing a lot of cool rear end projects and have been able to help these guys generate another 500k in hardware/professional services sales. They just gave me 2 tickets to the legends suite in Yankee Stadium for this weekend, can't wait to try and order a lobster burger where the bun is actually two pieces of filet mignon.

There is one downside, I'm pretty sure my fiance is gonna leave me, she hates the hours I put in but all of this OT is going to pay for our wedding. She's used to my 9 - 5 as a contractor where you leave work at work.

Not to go all E/N, but a relationship is work too, if you don't put energy into it, it'll go sideways. Also just like work: if she doesn't see the reasons you do (wedding) for putting in the hours at work, she won't be motivated to keep things going until those results come in either.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

As long as the candidate has a decent skillset and knowledge, it's way more important that (s)he fits into the team well.

You can teach people new stuff, changing their personality is somewhat harder :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look at this lightweight!

Thermite is clearly the way to go.

Tactical nukes?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I bought a pair of Dell U2415 over 2414 to get 16:10. I'm glad I did as well, 16:9 is too short for a PC display.

Just uh... get a pair of 27" 2560x1440 monitors?

I used to hate on 16:9 too, but 27" 1440p monitors hit the sweet spot for a lot of things, really.

gently caress all the things about 1080p on PC tho, ugh.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah you don't have to use vim just because it's cool.

For the basic learning stuff you're looking into right now, nano is fine.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Having a NATO travel order helps, too.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Well considering how they detained a former prime minister with a diplomatic passport... :smith:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sprechensiesexy posted:

You laugh, but at my previous company someone removed OSPF and replaced it by static routes on about 120 routers

:psyboom:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The other guy doing videos on LTT is okay, but someone needs to keep Linus away from the camera.

Apropos storage I violated read only Friday and moved my personal file server from a tower case to a norco 4020 last night without a hitch. Yay for testing the server properly first.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

How can you get fired for attending an interview (assuming in your own time)? Is that remotely legal?

Some people live in shitholes masquerading as first world countries.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

*:canada: intensifies*

:norway: :smugbert:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Uhm... He gets attention for being an annoying fuckhead? I loathe his voice.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

It's a great way to sour a friendship.

Two things do it in a hurry: employment and money.

Try renting out to friends too. Not doing that again.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'd charge boat-money to fix that kinda fuckup.

All in a day's work as an automation engineer :negative:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Using Openstack seems like a great way to piss away money for no reason.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

All I'm getting from this discussion is that US labour laws are beyond atrocious and that i'm pretty happy to be living somewhere with decent employee protection laws and a culture that embraces good work/life balance.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Jeoh posted:

But do you have freedoms?

Yeah.

How about you?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Having got that out of the way, the lack of it security for industrial systems scares me. Especially when it's gas treatment systems or power supply related. Ugh.

I'll probably have to put together a presentation on how badly things can go without some effort to secure the PLC/SCADA networks.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

adorai posted:

The laws are just fine. It's that some employers flagrantly violate them and employees either don't care or are afraid to speak up.

I'd like to try whatever it is you're smoking.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Everyone at our company has their own office, and I'm pretty sure there would be a riot if open landscape / free seating was suggested.

The whole concept is so goddamn flawed if you work on complex stuff that doesn't need close cooperation with anyone else. And even if you do, I have my doubts.

Then again, I kick people out of my office if I need poo poo done, even my boss has run afoul of that a few times :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

How do I know that I.T. titles are meaningless?

I am a vice-president. :shepicide:

Tony was also once a vice-president. :smithicide:

Does your pay at least reflect your title? :ohdear:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm closing in on 4 years at my current place, but we had temporary layoffs last year, with a new round this summer, so... Pretty much done at this point.

Time to :yotj: ?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Having a login name that doesn't match your email address does weird poo poo for iOS ActiveSync devices. You'll receive an email to your.name@company.com, but you set the account up with 123456@company.com, so it CCs you whenever you respond to a message.

This happens on Android too. We have that setup. firstname.lastname@example.com address and flastname@example.com login.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Do it. You can always change jobs later.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Usually the more stringent of the state they are headquartered in or the state you're in.

Example: If you work for a company headquartered in Washington that has a 40h workweek overtime policy, and you live and work in California with an 8h day overtime policy, the California policy will overrule the Washington one.

Wait, you're not exempt? :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

But at least you can afford really nice liquor, right? :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

alg posted:

Org spent near a million dollar s to get on Netbackup to find out they don't support XFS through VMWare backups lol

:psyduck:

Isn't XFS pretty drat common?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

There probably exists a universe where not every workload is suitable for the butt cloud, right? :ohdear:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

skipdogg posted:

Clean out his wallets on your way out

:laffo:

Totally do this, but make sure you don't touch the wallets for a good long while afterwards :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So did the picture of the C-Level who gave the raise have a dead hooker or a live animal in it? :v:

Why not both? :allears:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Unfortunately not all of my meetings are good ones. Just today I had a sit down with one of my guys who is leaving for a new job. He was belligerent, wouldn't even listen to our counter offer, and despite numerous issues over the years (which I failed to document as a sign of good faith) wouldn't demonstrate appreciation for all we'd done for him. I was left with no option but to erase his accrued PTO and inform him this would be his last day with the company.

God drat.

Someone is going to read that post having skimmed the last page and go "what the fuuuuuuck?"

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's a typical thing, but take some time off, it's good for you :sun:

It's also good for the company, as single points of failure/dependency in the processes gets exposed. If your company is decent, of course. If it's not you just won't get time off again :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Spend it in the UK because our currency is hosed

Or Norway, because its equally hosed.